JCM800 Re-Issue Sounds Fizzy

• Thread starter gunalorsel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunalorsel

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I have recently bought a 2203 Re-Issue head with a 1960B cab, all new in box.
The sound I get, playing with the controls for the last month, is not even close to what I hear in videos, etc... The biggest distraction is the fizzy sound coming out of the speakers when I use the high sensitivity input. The fizzyness is more when I plug my Les Paul R9, and is less with my start with high-output tex specials.

When I plug in to low sensitivity input the clean sound is awesome. But I attempt to have that Marshall crunch.

What do you think? I read that most players use Vintage 30's instead but the 1960B was my only option in my country - I've had to go with it.

Could you please help? Would you share your experiences?

Thanks...

iBrows

Reaction score
Is the cabinet new as well? Could likely be your speakers that are not broken in :)

V-man

Reaction score
I do not have the 2203x (current reissue 2203), but I do have the 2203KK, which was made a few years ago. I think the first thing you should post would be your settings. Where have you set the knobs for Bass, Mids, Treble, Presence, Gain, and Master Volume?

1. Many people plug into a Marshall and wonder why it sounds different. When asked how the person has set the amp up, it is usually discovered that the Gain is set very HIGH and the Master Volume was set very low. This was not how the amps were used. If the master volume is not loud, then you are only getting preamp distortion. You will want to raise the master to get the tube breakup and saturation. If playing this loud is not an option, you are going to have to get an attenuator for tube breakup, or you are going to have to set the amp cleaner and use a pedal for boosting or distortion.

2. Even when the amps were played LOUD as intended, many artists boosted the amp with a pedal anyway. My 2203KK is supposed to be pretty similar to your amp when the "Beast mode" is disengaged. When I disengage the Beast, there is not enough gain on that amp for me. Like everybody in the 80s, I simply boost the signal with a classic pedal from the 80s and it sounds right.

3. You may prefer V30s, and many do, especially for recording, but you are not getting fizz from your speakers.

gunalorsel

Reaction score
Thanks iBrows and V-Man...

The cabinet is also bought brand new, and they have had time to be broken-in but I have waited a while experimenting with the controls until I have asked you. "Recently" in my original post refers to beginning of february - it's been almost 3 full-months.

I of course cannot benefit the output tube distortion in my apartment - and seriously considering getting an attenuator soon.

We have had a open-air concert two weeks ago, and I brought the half-stack for the first time in. I could set the master volume around 7 and pre-amp vol around 6-7 for the first time plugged in to high-sens input. No pedals. And the sound got better but still far away from the Marshall growl. My biggest disturbance is the presence of a fizz sound which disappears if I roll-back the volume sacrificing the natural overdrive. The amp was amazing plugged-in to low-sens input - and I have used my TS-808 silver-mod and full tone full drive II mosfet in chain to get some overdrive. We cover hard-rock classics like Deep Purple, Guns'n Roses, Whitesnake, etc... After two songs, in a song break I have switched my guitar into low-sens input because the fizz sound was killing me, having treble almost set to zero, mid in the middle, and bass at full presence at 2.

I connect my Les Paul direct into Hi-Sens input, and playing the amp controls trying all possibilities I do always have that fizz. Even if I set master-volume at zero and set pre-amp vol somewhere between 6 to 7 I can hear that fizz sound from the speaker when I strum the strings. Pre-amp control set lower then the sound is so thin I cannot stand, therefore I let more pre-amp vol in. Any advises?

Another question: I will be traveling to US next week, and should I invest in an attenuator (planning to get Rivera RockCrusher) or should I locally order a 1960xV speaker cab? I cannot decide, but I AM HUNGRY FOR THE GROWL :)

plexilespaul

Reaction score
try biasing a little hotter and changing to nos preamp tubes. That could help you a little.
Personally i would go with an original 2203. you just can't get that same growl with a reissue.similiar but not what you heard on all those classic records.but that's just me(had 2 reissues and 3 originals).

Wiseblood

Reaction score
Try these settings:

Presence, Bass, Treble & Middle all at 6. Pre Amp at 10 and MV between 3-6 (depending on what you need, but get it up to at least 3).

Set your TS808 with level at max, tone at half and drive at zero. You'll need a decent humbucker. This should get you where you need to be and then afterwards slowly tweak the P, B, T & M to taste.

Give that a go and if your balls aren't shaking something ain't right.

If this doesn't work then let us know your: guitar, pickups & tubes (pre & power).

gunalorsel

Reaction score
As per Avivoni's recommendation, I have looked for old valves I've kept and have found a number of JJ and Marshall branded ECC83s resting at home. I have replaced the first pre-amp valve (the one just behind the guitar inputs) and that alone helped decreasing the distracting fizzyness. I will try to get descent now pre-amp valves to get them replaced all.

It's 23:42 and I will not be able to play at MV set at 3 at this time - but will try it tomorrow (for short time) and will share the result.

My guitar is a custom shop gibson 1959 les paul reissue with burstbuckers. I do also have an ES-345 with 57's. I will try them both - but I guess these old-school classics they do not have the output of the modern ones...

Thanks for the advices and please let more come in. All your effort is appreciated.

gunalorsel

Reaction score
Dear Wiseblood,
I have set the amp controls at 6 - except the MV and PA which were set at 0.3 and 10 respectively. The fizzyness is less since the pre-amp valve change - but I better play it loud and share it tomorrow.

With the TS engaged with your prescribed settings pushes the sound into dirtier territory but the trebly noise (fizzyness - like a number of bees are stuck inside the cab) also increases. I have also tried with MXR custom audio electronics boost set at +7db and the result is the same. Whenever I rollback the volume (in both neck and bridge pickups) a bit (from 10 to 8) the treble noise goes away but I sacrifice overdrive.

Adrian R

Reaction score
It shouldn't be fizzy at all..You may have a bad preamp tube that is attenuating some of the preamp signal before it his the power section of the amp.

If you have some spare preamp tubes laying around that you know are good try swapping them out one at a time to see if this helps..

The difference between NOS and CP preamp tubes are NOT going to make that much of a difference...but a poor 'whatever' preamp tube will KILL everything..

I have a 2204 with CP preamp tube and the tone is unbelievable..beyond words thick, fat..LOUD as hell and I can actually feel the concrete floor beneath my feet vibrating from the amp's sonic pressure.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
cold bias and new speakers can have that effect and all tube amps come from the factory shelves with a low/cold bias.

heat that thing up a bit and see how it works out.

gunalorsel

Reaction score
I have recorded a short audio clip and uploaded it on youtube.
I have recorded the amp with an SM-57 going into TC Konnekt. Sorry for sloppy playing...

JCM800 Treble "Fizzy" Noise - YouTube

The "buzz" or "fizz" on the sound is my problem.

The first part is with guitar into JCM800 - second part is with TS-808 in between.

All amp controls are at 6 except MV and PA - MV is at 0.3 and PA is at 10.
Guitar vol is 10 (bridge) and tone at 4.

nedcronin

Reaction score
Something definitely is not right there. It almost sounds like a crappy fuzz or out of phase pickups it's so nasally. You probably should try all new preamp tubes, or take it to a tech because it doesn't sound like it should.

slagg

Reaction score
try jumpering the fx loop and see what it sounds like.I think the reissue has a loop right?

RussBert

Reaction score
You have to turn up the volume!

.3 is next to nothing, and the bright capacitors are fizzing up your tone. a 100 watt head isn't made to be played at next to no volume. CRANK IT UP!

(and maybe cut the bright cap on the volume pot)

Adrian R

Reaction score
You have to turn up the volume!

.3 is next to nothing, and the bright capacitors are fizzing up your tone. a 100 watt head isn't made to be played at next to no volume. CRANK IT UP!

(and maybe cut the bright cap on the volume pot)

HOLY SHIT!! .3 on the MV? On a 2203? WHAT??:eek:

Turn it up mannnn....geezzzzz:D

X2203xman

Reaction score
I love the shit out of mine,but it was made 10 years ago,and I'm sure they are different just for that reason.But it does sound like the master is just too low,your tubes aren't working for you brother.The sound is in there somewere.Even the 2204,and the jmp that I owned 25 years ago sounded thin with the volume way down low.Not an apartment amp friend.I never turn my gain vol past 5,always use the high input,and at least have the master at 4 to 5.I boost it with a sd-1 and use the les paul's volume knob for lead or semi-clean crunch.Don't go too heavy on the gain volume.You should be able to get crunch with the gain volume at 5.then with the boost and a les paul,you should be able to melt your walls.Also keep that presence down to 1 or 2.