JCM900 and Bugera 1990

• Thread starter Dman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dman

Reaction score
Ok I've been hearing alot about how the Bugera sounds very close to the JCM900. How true is this? Does close does it really sound?

jaek

Reaction score
Just get a real Marshall. And the Bugera's reputation is theyre good while they last....emphasis on the while they last. I originally wanted a 1990 but saved for a real Marshall and never looked back.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
900's are cheap enough on the used market that there is no reason to mess around with a throw away amp like a Bugera.

Ken

Reaction score
Ok I've been hearing alot about how the Bugera sounds very close to the JCM900. How true is this? Does close does it really sound?

Which 900? There are 4 models of which 3 are completely different. I don't know what the price of a Bugera is, but you can get any 900 model in the $5-600 range. If you want the Marshall sound, buy a Marshall. (You might consider a DSL as well as it's in the same price range!)

Ken

mike mike

Reaction score
Why buy a bugera for 700 bucks that is made cheaply in china when you can have a real Marshall made in the UK that is bullet proof for 100-200 less depending on model?

willscott182

Reaction score
Might sound similar, but it wont have the same feel or depth to it i'd imagine

Dman

Reaction score
Alright so there are some different amps being recommended. So to help with the decision I'll show you the prices for all of the amps mentioned that are for sale in my area.

Bugera 1990 (NEW) - $430
JCM900 (USED) - $800
DSL100 (USED) - $700
(not mentioned but also an amp I'm looking at) TSL100 (USED) - $550

So these are the prices I'm working with at the moment.

This is primarily why I'm taking the 1990 into consideration, I have a budget of about $1000 (can push up to $1250) and I'm planning on getting an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's.

So if the 1990 isn't worth it, which Marshall would be best for me? I play hard rock, classic rock, and alternative rock. I play lead guitar.:dude:

All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

00jett

Reaction score
Do you have any place where you can test out some marshall heads? All 3 you mentioned will cover your style, it will come down to preference.

Dman

Reaction score
Do you have any place where you can test out some marshall heads?

I can test the DSL and TSL in one store, they're both sold at the same GuitarCenter, but the JCM900 is somewhere else. I'm young so I don't have any friends that have any of the gear that I'd like to try out, I'm going to be the first of my musician friends to try out a tube half stack, hoping that the Marshall crunch and tube warmth will be as good as people say it is. :fingersx:

IbanezMark

Reaction score
Alright so there are some different amps being recommended. So to help with the decision I'll show you the prices for all of the amps mentioned that are for sale in my area.

Bugera 1990 (NEW) - $430
JCM900 (USED) - $800
DSL100 (USED) - $700
(not mentioned but also an amp I'm looking at) TSL100 (USED) - $550

So these are the prices I'm working with at the moment.

This is primarily why I'm taking the 1990 into consideration, I have a budget of about $1000 (can push up to $1250) and I'm planning on getting an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's.

So if the 1990 isn't worth it, which Marshall would be best for me? I play hard rock, classic rock, and alternative rock. I play lead guitar.:dude:

All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Actually, you should be able to do a lot better on price for used Marshalls.
My recommendation would be a DSL 100 for about $600 used. Keep your eyes open and you will find a deal.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
they're pretty close tonaly but, the 1990 seemed to have more preamp gain and a stiffer feel and sound though it's 120 watts so that'd contribute to the feel. I haven't any experience in owning a Bugera but, therre's a lot of rumor about reliability issues. around here you can get a 900 dr for $450 easy.

GuN'R

Reaction score
I came within a ****'s hair of buying a brand new Bugera 1990 or a 1960. No guitar shops anywhere close to me stock Bugeras. So I never got to hear one in person, and I didn't want to drop the cash on an amp based on Tube vids alone. Bugera has a lot of bad press as of yet and Marshall has established reliability and reputation. I held out and picked up a DSL 50 for a shade under 600. It's like brand new and I don't regret it one bit. I have the feeling had I bought a Bugera, that I just would've ended up selling it to buy the real deal anyway, so I figured why waste the time and money. I would love to hear a Bugera vs a Marshall in person, though.
Unless you can A/B these amps in person, I would suggest just getting the Marshall. You know you want one anyway, otherwise you wouldn'e be visiting these forums. Go ahead, you deserve it!:naughty: lol

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
here, close as your gonna get.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFv-VBRrtlA]YouTube - Bugera 1990 vs. Marshall JCM 900 Shoot-out TTK Style !!! Amp Review Demo NAMM 2010 '10[/ame]

EDIT: The Bugera just sounds "fake" to me. With that being said think about this, he might be getting some kick backs from either side, you don't know and, you don't know when these heads have been retubed last and if they were biased right so there are a lot of factors to listen for here.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i A/B'd them as well and they're similar but, seriously....leave the Bugera. you can get a 4500 for as low as $400 (that's a great score granted) so just get a real,REAL Marshall man, you'll be happy you did. I still miss my 4500 and my tsl's....I got enough for that cobra and i'm thinkin'....man....i could get both of those and another guitar for it so i may do just that. I really love my Marshalls.

RobS

Reaction score
Just get the 900. Why punt on something that is trying to sound like a Marshall?
If it's the $ then just save up a little longer.

Rob

Furies

Reaction score
The Bugera sounded better than I thought it would, but there is a warmer, smoother quality to the Marshall tone (less "fake," as eljeffe puts it).

Since the guy in the video scooped the EQ on his final comparison, I suspect the gulf between the Bugera and the Marshall would grow wider if we heard the comparison with mids boosted.