• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Jimi Hendrix R.I.P 9/18/70

• Thread starter R.Kandy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

R.Kandy

Reaction score
Today is the 43rd anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix (aka, James Marshall Hendrix, born, Johnny Allen Hendrix). In my opinion the greatest guitar player who ever lived. He inspired so many, especially me. Watching videos of him picking his Strat in front of a wall of Marshalls, blasting out tones which will probably never be duplicated, is nothing short of amazing. He will forever be the greatest.

R.I.P Jimi.

Who do you think was or is the greatest guitarist?

th

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MemXBAVJLJs&feature=player_detailpage]Little Wing-JIMI HENDRIX - YouTube[/ame]

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is the blackest day on my calendar. I was fortunate to be alive when he was. God bless you Jimi. We all still miss you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvmKlZGTTU4]Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - YouTube[/ame]

Reaction score
It's weird as I am of the age that I actually saw Jimmy Hendrix play live a couple of times. I thought he was good and like the playing with his teeth, behind his head and all that, but I could do that too after a couple of tries!!

But for me, he never was all that awesome. I know many will disagree with me but I actually saw him live.

We all had his albums but I have to say I never got the same rush I did like the first time I heard Communication Breakdown by Led Zeppelin.

I remember me and a few band mates were in our buddies basement where we used to practice and he used to have red lights in there and burn incense. It was a cool room!! We were taking a break. We were all around 16 and 17 years old.

He said that his granny had just sent him this new album, yep big thick vinyl, from England where she lived. It had not been released in Canada yet.

He puts Zep 1 on and HOLY CRAP, we all just freaked out. How can anyone play guitar like that! Who is that!! What's he using for equipment!!!:hbang:

That was just crazy!!! Almost got out of the guitar biz right there and then.

Next was some years later. In my friends apartment and he slaps on Eruption by Eddy. WTF!!!!

Soon as they came to town, I was up near the front getting squashed with my binoculars trying to figure out what the hell he was doing. Some kinda' weird two handed stuff.:shred:

If you are from the 50's like I am, it was a great time to grow up. Saw all of the great bands several times that started showing up around the mid 60's. Yes, I even saw the Beatles! 20 minute show. Could not hear a thing. The chicks were screaming their heads off. Still have that ticket stub. I think it was around $5.00

Hendrix...Led Zep...The Doors...Sabbath....Pink Floyd....Deep Purple...Van Halen ( the original and still the best line up) and on and on and on!!!

Saw them all. Good times for sure.

Nudge68

Reaction score
Made the pilgrimage to Notting Hill and am in a pub just 2 block away. Unreal, no one knew about it.

Never been able to cop his feel, will always be a disciple.

Bless him, truly.

cheers,

Matt.

blackie2

Reaction score
Coming on PBS in November:

Film: Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin | American Masters | PBS

Remember reading in the sixth grade that he died just after Janice Joplin. Never got to see him play but had a big influence on anyone who did at the time. I was out in Seattle two years ago and stopped by the Experience Music exhibit and almost all of the Hendrix stuff had been moved out and was replaced with Nirvana stuff. Big disappointment but they were still showing film of the Monterrey Pop Festival and I was the only person watching it. Kind of strange.

duncan11

Reaction score
my fave guitarist of all time.

Machine Gun - the best electric guitar performance of all time.

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun - YouTube

YES!!!!!! that is my fave as well.

RIP ...

To answer the question of the greatest?

Van Halen - Unchained (1984-04-19) - YouTube

wow he started it way fast!

one of my fave VH songs, ever...

liked that 'slide back to E tuning' move at the end! In my VH trib band I was in, I had my 91 studio LP, no trem. That's how we did it as well, gab the peg over open free time fills. We closed with Unchained instead of opening the shows with it, that was On Fire...

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
YES!!!!!! that is my fave as well.

wow he started it way fast!

one of my fave VH songs, ever...

liked that 'slide back to E tuning' move at the end! In my VH trib band I was in, I had my 91 studio LP, no trem. That's how we did it as well, gab the peg over open free time fills. We closed with Unchained instead of opening the shows with it, that was On Fire...

Yeah, that's a jolt of adrenaline from the start for sure ... you can feel it sitting from behind a computer for crying out loud!

dreyn77

Reaction score
What a waste of a life! poor JIMI!
But if you play with fire.....
Jim was a 'breath of fresh air' and is still today.
I admire jim for all his struggles, just as much as his playing ability.
In his interviews you can hear the torment he's endured from the outside world (now they are exployting him, saying he's a god)
I guys with lots of great talents and lots of flaws. He earned the title 'Man'.
Thank's Jim!

dreyn77

Reaction score
the greatest ? nah, that's VAI.
Vh was and prob still is intimidated by Vai. (no need to be)
VH's greatest crutch is 'the band'. Vai doesn't have that , he's the encyclopaedia.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
the greatest ? nah, that's VAI.
Vh was and prob still is intimidated by Vai. (no need to be)
VH's greatest crutch is 'the band'. Vai doesn't have that , he's the encyclopaedia.

The proof is in the pudding :yesway:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4GZFbCqx18]Van Halen - Hot For Teacher (HQ music video) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NshzYK9y0]Van Halen - Panama (Music Video) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsC7oEjCHAM]David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35JYMFfEKf4]David Lee Roth-Goin' Crazy (Official Music Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Latest posts