JMD range discontinued

• Thread starter p94932
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p94932

Reaction score
:jam:
I just spoke to a rep for Marshall USA and he has told me in no uncertain terms that the JMD range has been discontinued, but did not elaborate on the reason why Marshall has chosen to do so. In addition, he stated that part of that reason is Marshall is planning to introduce new products next year and phasing out the JMD leverages range room in their stable of amps for new product. The rep went on to state that in his opinion he could not fathom Marshall's true reason for abandoning the JMD since its been widely accepted and a sales have been strong. Suffice to say, the JMD is no more, and current inventories are all that remain for buyers and once gone their all gone.

I for one am at a loss to figure the business aspect of this decision factoring for the usual business minutia, but I am skeptical as to whether Marshall can top the JMD. I realize Marshall has mojo for valve thunder, but I'm only looking at the tech for the JMD and if can be topped: maybe - or maybe not - we'll see what 2013 brings at NAMM. Listed is the Marshall USA number: 1-877-459-0170
:slash:

MKB

Reaction score
I have heard the same thing through the grapevine, but have my own ideas on why it was discontinued. The real heart of the amp is the software, and that was developed by an outside company (Softube). Marshall does not have complete control over that source, and if there are any problems with the relationship, the support stops.

The JMD is a terrific amp; I have two of them, and have not powered up another guitar amp (including my other Marshalls) since getting the first one. Some of the models have dynamics better than most any tube amps I have ever used. I've gotten the best clean tone I've ever gotten with the 100W head through a closed 2X12 cab. But the JMD does have a few minor shortcomings:

* No bulk patch storage and restore possible for a normal user. This is a real issue with 128 patch capability in the unit.

* No ground lift on the XLR out

* No way of indicating patch selection on the front panel other than the first 4

* No current possible way to create or use a patch editor without a software upgrade

* No Super Lead or Super Bass model

* No Univibe model (there's one on the Haze for crying out loud!!)

I would hope that Marshall will release a JMD:2 in the future to address these shortcomings. But I have heard nothing on a new modeler from Marshall.

But even with these shortcomings, the JMD is a terrific sounding amp with unmatched versatility. The timbral differences available are staggering. You can look at it as an entire wall of Marshalls, and you can immediately pick which one you want to use through the footswitch. If you are a Marshall freak and play in a cover band, it is the best amp you can get. The thing I like most about it is I regularly get the visceral thrill of playing a Marshall, this is only possible as the JMD gives the tone and feel and response of a true Marshall. It's not only a good modeler, it is a good Marshall.

It's possible that this amp will become a collector's item, as only now does it seem that folks are catching on to how good it is. If anyone is thinking of getting one, they'd better get one ASAP I'd think.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they're trying to streamline their fields. They've introduced a lot of the past few years. JMD, Class5, Haze, MA, and retoolings of the MG series. When you start getting too many lines like that, you start to run into overlap of target audience, and that usually adds confusion.

It seems as though JMD met a specific audience who wanted Marshall, but also wanted modeling, but maybe they have something else in mind.

p94932

Reaction score
I agree with MKB, well stated my brethren . . . we shall what Marshall comes up with . . .
:headbanger:

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) Yep, I can't believe it either. It's a shame, but on the other hand the discontinued amps usually turn into classics like the 6100, and JMP1, which means we are holding on to some fairly valuable pieces as we speak. I can't see them phasing out this new technology AND I've heard a buzz about A JMD 2 on the way. With the pricing it's just possible they weren't making enough on each unit to justify further production. We shall see.

:cool::cool: TWIN

flyjones

Reaction score
If they do come out with the JMD2 I have cash in my bank account ready to buy one. As good as my JMD1 is, I would definitely go for an updated model. I can't imagine Marshall dropping the modeling technology considering how well they implemented it. I can see where the price drop on the JMD1 series could be just clearing the JMD1 stock before a new model comes out. If you hear some buzz about the JMD2 I hope you will share it with us. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
It is in their new catalog isn't it?

MKB

Reaction score
IMHO the obvious application of the JMD technology would be in a single rack space preamp to replace the JMP-1. The applications of the JMD preamp itself, with the tube power amp disabled, are many. And I tell you, after having both, a JMD modeling rack preamp would KILL and mutilate a stock JMP-1. No comparison at all. A rack JMD along with one of Marshall's current production rack tube power amps would be a potent rig indeed, and judging from the success of the JMP-1, the JMD rack preamp would be a very popular item.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
IMHO the obvious application of the JMD technology would be in a single rack space preamp to replace the JMP-1.
While I've never really cared for the idea of having a modeling amp like a JMD (though I love my Vox VT20+ for toying around), a rack preamp like that would be awesome! I like my effects and stuff separate from my amps.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have heard the same thing through the grapevine, but have my own ideas on why it was discontinued. The real heart of the amp is the software, and that was developed by an outside company (Softube). Marshall does not have complete control over that source, and if there are any problems with the relationship, the support stops.

The JMD is a terrific amp; I have two of them, and have not powered up another guitar amp (including my other Marshalls) since getting the first one. Some of the models have dynamics better than most any tube amps I have ever used. I've gotten the best clean tone I've ever gotten with the 100W head through a closed 2X12 cab. But the JMD does have a few minor shortcomings:

* No bulk patch storage and restore possible for a normal user. This is a real issue with 128 patch capability in the unit.

* No ground lift on the XLR out

* No way of indicating patch selection on the front panel other than the first 4

* No current possible way to create or use a patch editor without a software upgrade

* No Super Lead or Super Bass model

* No Univibe model (there's one on the Haze for crying out loud!!)

I would hope that Marshall will release a JMD:2 in the future to address these shortcomings. But I have heard nothing on a new modeler from Marshall.

But even with these shortcomings, the JMD is a terrific sounding amp with unmatched versatility. The timbral differences available are staggering. You can look at it as an entire wall of Marshalls, and you can immediately pick which one you want to use through the footswitch. If you are a Marshall freak and play in a cover band, it is the best amp you can get. The thing I like most about it is I regularly get the visceral thrill of playing a Marshall, this is only possible as the JMD gives the tone and feel and response of a true Marshall. It's not only a good modeler, it is a good Marshall.

It's possible that this amp will become a collector's item, as only now does it seem that folks are catching on to how good it is. If anyone is thinking of getting one, they'd better get one ASAP I'd think.

What does this mean, if anything, for someone who might encounter problems with the software in the future? If the support stops, does that mean JMD owners are SOL if something happens to their amp? I would hope Marshall has this covered to some degree, otherwise the JMD would seem a terribly risky purchase at this point. In fact, much like a computer, rather than becoming collectible or rising in value, I'm afraid the value would plummet as it 1) becomes outdated 2) a severed relationship with the software developer renders servicing the amp, or upgrading the software, questionable.

That's too bad. I kept reading such great things about the JMD, and was really looking forward to new versions. :(

MKB

Reaction score
What does this mean, if anything, for someone who might encounter problems with the software in the future? If the support stops, does that mean JMD owners are SOL if something happens to their amp? I would hope Marshall has this covered to some degree, otherwise the JMD would seem a terribly risky purchase at this point. In fact, much like a computer, rather than becoming collectible or rising in value, I'm afraid the value would plummet as it 1) becomes outdated 2) a severed relationship with the software developer renders servicing the amp, or upgrading the software, questionable.

That's too bad. I kept reading such great things about the JMD, and was really looking forward to new versions. :(
I wouldn't worry at all about software incompatibilities in the future, as the JMD does not have the capability to interact with any external equipment except a midi footswitch (and the midi spec is not likely to change). There would be no reason for an upgrade.

Now future repairs are another issue. The real centerpiece of the JMD is the Analog Devices DSP IC, and this part appears to be in a package called a BGA (ball grid array). In order to replace this part, it requires very expensive reworking tools and an experienced operator. It may even require an x-ray machine to verify all the balls are properly soldered. A BGA is NOT replaceable by the vast majority of techs, and impossible to replace except with the expensive equipment. In most cases the entire processor board will need to be replaced if there is a problem with the DSP chip.

This is the reason I bought a spare JMD when I ran across one for cheap. Now that being said, I have not heard of a single DSP IC or processpr PCB problems in the years the JMD has been released. Since the amps have several years in the field, I would not be too concerned that there may be a problem with this part. Tube issues in the JMD cannot cause a processor board failure, and I doubt bad power would either as there are regulators that supply power to the IC's on the processor board, and these would die first. Of course if the amp is hit by a severe voltage spike like a lightning strike, there is no telling what might happen.

But that is something to consider with the JMD; if the DSP IC dies, and a replacement JMD1-63 board cannot be found, the amp is totally and completely DEAD.

EDIT: I looked into it a little bit, and it appears it is possible to do a field replacement of a BGA. But you have to be a real man to try this: http://youtu.be/JB1InDsWCjQ Even this video shows the use of a IC vacuum pick, and requires resoldering (in the case of the JMD BGA) 160 tiny solder balls under a microscope. Possible, but not at all for the faint of heart.

Also there are companies to which you can send the board and part, and they will replace it for you. This vendor charges $35-$140 for removal/replacement of a BGA part. http://www.circuitrework.com/services/terms.shtml

The part itself, ADSP-21261, looks to cost around $14 in quantities of 1.

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry at all about software incompatibilities in the future, as the JMD does not have the capability to interact with any external equipment except a midi footswitch (and the midi spec is not likely to change). There would be no reason for an upgrade.

Now future repairs are another issue. The real centerpiece of the JMD is the Analog Devices DSP IC, and this part appears to be in a package called a BGA (ball grid array). In order to replace this part, it requires very expensive reworking tools and an experienced operator. It may even require an x-ray machine to verify all the balls are properly soldered. A BGA is NOT replaceable by the vast majority of techs, and impossible to replace except with the expensive equipment. In most cases the entire processor board will need to be replaced if there is a problem with the DSP chip.

This is the reason I bought a spare JMD when I ran across one for cheap. Now that being said, I have not heard of a single DSP IC or processpr PCB problems in the years the JMD has been released. Since the amps have several years in the field, I would not be too concerned that there may be a problem with this part. Tube issues in the JMD cannot cause a processor board failure, and I doubt bad power would either as there are regulators that supply power to the IC's on the processor board, and these would die first. Of course if the amp is hit by a severe voltage spike like a lightning strike, there is no telling what might happen.

But that is something to consider with the JMD; if the DSP IC dies, and a replacement JMD1-63 board cannot be found, the amp is totally and completely DEAD.

I suppose the solution is simple ... you have to own a minimum of two of them! :cheers:

jwebb1970

Reaction score
While not the same product, I have owned/used a similar one (in terms of the DSP IC or processor PCB business) for close to 15 years with no issues.

Have had a Roland GP-100 - the first Roland/BOSS rack preamp to utilize their COSM amp simulation tech - since it was a current product back in the late 90s. While I did have it serviced by Roand earlier this year - some wonky knobs needed to have their encoders replaced, a couple of worn input jacks were repaired & the memory backup battery got swapped, the unit itself (and most importantly its DSP circuitry) have been fine for all this time.

If massive DSP failures have not been occuring in the time since the JMD line debuted, I'd say the odds are that the existing amps in the wild - in terms of the digital guts, at least - will be around for quite some time. Power tubes will still need replacing - and those with combos may want to consider beefing up the outer cabinets with stronger materials.

OTOH, if a JMD fails epically in about 5-10 yrs time from now.....it is almost assuredly a boat anchor. I did say almost....;)

I do know a guy with one of the original Line 6 2x12 combos from around the same era as the GP-100. Thing is beat to hell, but still running just fine. I'm guessing even with their Asian factory birthplace & the less-than-UK standard on some construction elements, the JMDs are built at least as well, if not better (cabinets aside) than the 1st Line 6 models to roll off the line.

I also am thinking that a JMD redux of some sort is probably in the works, hence the ending of the current production line - especially if the current JMD series has done as well as some claim.

MKB

Reaction score
I think I need to issue a bit of an apology to the readers here; it was not my intention to scare anyone off from buying a JMD by posting on the DSP board being unrepairable. jwebb1970 is absolutely right in that there are tons of several decades old integrated circuit based gear with similar complexity (such as older multieffect units, keyboard synths, even older Line 6 gear) and the vast majority of it just continues to work. There are few large scale IC issues with most of this gear.

My point was not stated well, it was that most guitarists are used to taking their broken amps to a tech and getting them fixed. There are actually very few ways that a tube amp can be completely killed; maybe the most irreplaceable component is a transformer, and those are easily replaced. Techs are not really used to running into unfixable gear. In that sense, the JMD has critical components not replaceable by the majority of techs.

However, another thing to consider, is the JMD could potentially have much greater reliability than any regular tube amp, in that there are no preamp tubes to fail. It is very difficult to get a high gain combo to work properly because of preamp tubes becoming microphonic; that cannot happen with the JMD. You do not have to worry about the preamp tone going weak over time, or parasitic oscillations, rattles, etc. They can't happen in the JMD preamp. And in the typical worst case scenario, where a power tube dies and takes the B+ fuse with it, the JMD can get you through the gig by being plugged into the PA using the emulated out. The B+ fuse can blow but the entire preamp will still work, along with the channel switching and effects loop.

Here's another testament to the JMD's reliability; I recently bought a JMD 100W head from ebay as completely dead and in need of repair. The cab was crushed as well, obviously the head had been dropped. It turned out that one of the power connectors had worked loose, I plugged that back in and the amp works perfectly now. I also glued the cab and the entire head works and looks like a new one. It's a tough amp.

jwebb1970

Reaction score
To add to MKB's post---from what I have gathered, the weak link in the JMD line is the MDF cabinets they mount the chassis in. Crushed JMDs seem to commonly be the combos, esp the 2x12 from what I have seen online. The material just cannot support the weight that a 50 or 100w tube power section adds.

There are several non-working JMDs that I have seen for sale online. In most cases, I would imagine the "non-functioning" issue is a simple fix in most cases (like what MKB dealt with).

IIRC, there is some sort of US consumer law that somewhat forces manufacturers to support discontinued products (such as fairly advanced electronics) for a period of 5 years post discontinuation of said product. Not sure if this affects a UK based company, but said company does have a US distribution arm, so any JMDs sold in the US should fall under this regulation.

My guess is that should a JMD fail, whether in or out of warranty, the owner should contact Marshall first. I assume that any certified Marshall repair stations may have access to parts/schematics/etc for these amps for a while.

To add as well to the examples of DSP-based stuff lasting a long time....I have a friend/fellow musician that still uses an old Roland GP-8 - rack mount guitar preamp/FX processor that dates back to the mid/late 1980s - in his home studio for whenever he records guitar (or simply wants what he finds to be a pretty awesome chorus effect). I was in the long gone mom & pop music store with him the day he bought it, somewhere around 1989-ish? Still runs perfectly.