• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JMP-1 is available again

• Thread starter DenverRob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DenverRob

Reaction score
Looks like the rumors that Marshall was doing another run of the JMP-1 are true. I noticed that they're all over ebay now. In stock at Musicians Friend. So if you've been wanting one, here's your chance. $750 for the head. I have one, they're pretty cool. Classic Marshall crunch at low volume.

Darth Federer

Reaction score
Based on your signature, it sounds like you'd rather be masterbating than messing around with a 1 watt amp. If that's the case, you might not be the target market.

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
Based on your signature, it sounds like you'd rather be masterbating than messing around with a 1 watt amp. If that's the case, you might not be the target market.

:applause: I like the JMP1 a lot,it is perfect and does exactly what it is supposed to do.
A lot of getting a great tone out of one is in what cab/speaks you use:slash:

Jammers5

Reaction score

No I love low wattage amps (you can crank a 1 watt amp!) I have a Class 5 Head and Combo, Traynor DH, Blues Jr,68 Champ, Vox AC4TV and have owned others.

I played the JMP1 combo and it sounded boxy to my ears. I fiddled with it for 2-3 mins and thought "meh" and said to the sales rep "Don't sound good to me!" to which he replied he tried it and didn't like it either. Then I jumped over to a DSL40 combo and within 30 seconds I knew it had potential.

Sorry, it just wasn't for me.

J5

V-man

Reaction score
I played the combo version last week....was not impressed to say the least!

J5

Until you put it through a quad of V30s or greenbacks, you can't have a true appreciation of the amp. I have heard more than one underwhelming 1w anniversary account, and virtually all of them come from those who played a combo with the stock 10" only.

Those with a real JMP 4 holer and the ability to use it may not see the draw of this amp, but those lacking the JMP, the ability to dime it or both have three options: 1959/1987 + attenuator, YJM, or JMP-1. This amp is considered among the best if not the best of the 1 watt series, has built in collectability, and runs on ECC preamp tubes rather than expensive power tubes. This is a missed opportunity regained, and one to consider rather carefully.

Chargin265

Reaction score
Got one on the weekend. Its a fantastic amp. Think its all I really need now. So many good tones. I have not really played around with all the effects yet. Just flicking between Vintage, Crunch etc etc. and playing with the pre amp and tone knobs. Its a beast!!! So much more versitile than my 59 Superlead Plexi. Purists would say the superlead is a much better amp but thats a load of BS!!! I LOVE THIS AMP!!!

pleximaster

Reaction score
I love the JMP1s and I have the real deal 50watters and 100wattersfrom the 60's and 70's as well. I even have the YJM100 but the JMP 1s are my favorite home amps. I can play them dimed while the kids are sleeping in the low power mode or play really loud in the livingroom at the 1 watt mode.

I have said this before, they are very transparent what you feed them is what you get. Good guitar tone in good amp tone out. They are also as all amps dependent on the speaker cab used, perhaps a bit more sensitive to the speakers as they only have bass and treble eq. The JMP1 are bright amps and therefore need a big speaker cabinet to get the lower "oomph" going. I also prefer closed backs for the same reason. A real 4x12 is perfect for these little amps in the one watt mode.

However in the low power mode a single 12 speaker sound best in my opinion. If you have a few of this 1 watt amps and a cab to spare you could try to wire each speaker to a separate output, you can mix the speakers and tune them for each 1watter still you get the cabinet volume and wood to match each one. I am currently doing this and are trying out the holy trails for each one watter amp. For the JMP1s I found the best sound in some old 20 watters G12M 102003 cone speakers from jan 68 absolutly wonderful. Yeah but most people don't have these lying in the attic but a close second I found the Scumbacks clones of these very speakers and I highly recommend them. They have great mids and smother highs that is important with these rather bright amps if you want to dime all controls (you want to do this to get the creamy gain and everlasting sustain)

Some people prefer the G12H speakers to the JMP but it is a more efficient (louder) speaker and it is more even in all frequencies compared to the G12Ms. It has more bass that the JMPs need but it is also harder up in the bright spectra so if your guitar is bright then... I like to compensate bass with bigger volume cabs and more wood!

To further fine tune the JMPs you can do some tube rolling to smoth out hights and add bass but it is really good stock tubes so you will only be able to do minor fine tunings to you taste.

The one watter are great out of the box but since they are not 100 watt you can actually hear what's going on. Many 100 watters get away with much more since most people don't have the venues to play them in the right environment.

Plugg a cheap guitar in a JMP1 into a unspecific cab in a store you might get dissapointed but giving it what it needs it will deliver in spades!

Plexi

Darth Federer

Reaction score
Great write up Plexi. It's nice to hear your perspective on these amps because you also have extensive experience with the real things. I played my guitar for 6 hours yesterday and my 1 watters make the experience so much fun. I probably play the JTM the most but it is hard for me to pick a favorite.

V-man

Reaction score
... If you have a few of this 1 watt amps and a cab to spare you could try to wire each speaker to a separate output, you can mix the speakers and tune them for each 1watter still you get the cabinet volume and wood to match each one. I am currently doing this and are trying out the holy trails for each one watter amp...

Plexi

This will make a for a very useful thread in the future. Don't forget to share your results with the JCM, et al!

V-man

Reaction score
That video sounded damn good to me. Imagine that through mini stack cabs

I run my two through an Avatar 412 with V30s right now. The word "good" could not even approximate what my JCM1 (boosted with an '82 BLD) put out through that cab.

Darth Federer

Reaction score
I wish they had these when i bought my class 5. I am getting rid of it

I also have a Class 5 and it probably gets played less than my other amps. However, it would be a tough decision to sell it because it sounds great but more importantly it is just an awesome value and worth hanging on to as a fall back in my opinion. I think I would keep it just in the off chance something bad financially happened and I needed to part with some of my more expensive gear. I also don't think we will ever see a made in England Marshall at that price again.

rmroza

Reaction score
Billy or someone, please stick with your ideology that the man is fucking us on price of this little piece of shit. Yes, it may have good tone, but the price you have to admit is pretty rediclous. I'm sure many folks would appreciate someone picking this up, reverse engineering it, making a layout and posting the results, resell the thing off to recoup your money and build your own for 1/2 the price...with the tone!

Thanks in advance!

Equinox

V-man

Reaction score
Billy or someone, please stick with your ideology that the man is fucking us on price of this little piece of shit. Yes, it may have good tone, but the price you have to admit is pretty rediclous. I'm sure many folks would appreciate someone picking this up, reverse engineering it, making a layout and posting the results, resell the thing off to recoup your money and build your own for 1/2 the price...with the tone!

Thanks in advance!

Equinox

LOL.

So, it's a "piece of shit," that has "good tone" and should be bought, then reverse-engineered, then sold.

Post of the week.

all that remains to be uncovered is whether posted by:

A. New troll account

B. 8th-Grader making us proud of our schools, instilling confidence in modern treatment for ADHD.

C. 30-40 something who left around the 8th grade.

D. Both A and B.

E. Both A and C.

Darth Federer

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Equinox

It's amazing how few people have a grasp of production costs of any product but especially a product that is a limited run and meant to replicate the sound of a particular amp from 30, 40 or 50 years ago. If you think the only cost factored into an amps price are the component costs then you don't understand how research and development work. Sure you can go build a low watt amp for less money but it won't replicate the tone of a coveted amp. I was just reading an interview with Dr Z where he is talking about how it costs the same to build an 8 watt Maz as it does to build an 18 watt Maz. Of course that doesn't fit neatly into the popular theory that corporations are just out to fleece there customer base. I wonder where people got that idea? Actually, I know exactly where they got that idea.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ok, make of this what you will, but I'm calling it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvK1F-Thrzk]South Park Shenanigans - YouTube[/ame]