• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JMP tolex change?

• Thread starter mattoreg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mattoreg

Reaction score
Probably an easy question for you guys.

I just picked up a 1975 four hole mkII 50 watt jmp. The cab, which I think is of the same era (gold piping over the top, all the plastic parts have the marshall logos). The head has a finer bumpy tolex, the cab has a more aggressive tolex. I think the more aggressive tolex is commonly referred to as elephant. What the deal? When did the tolex styles change?

Cheers,
Matt

mattoreg

Reaction score
Thanks Marshallhead.
How about the thin gold piping? The piping on the head has grooves in it, sort of like a thick round wound guitar string. The piping on the cab is smooth no grooves.

Thoughts?

Matt

Marshallhead

Reaction score
I've never seen any of the thin piping looking like you described, only smooth stuff, made of a thin string covered in a gold outer sheath. Even the reissue stuff which is solid and doesn't have the string inside is smooth. Can you get a close up pic?

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I have owned three '77 MV 2204 JMP's. All had the standard color and texture tolex you described, two had gold piping and one (as I recall 30+ years ago) had white piping. Of the two latest owned '77s, the head had almost a blue/gray tint tolex and the combo had more of a green tint tolex. My current '81 JMP combo has the standard 1980's JCM look black tolex and white piping :(. I much prefer the vintage look.

Congrats on your JMP

mattoreg

Reaction score
So I can't seem to post a picture. Its asking for a http website address. Oh well...

Hmm.. maybe this thin piping was replaced at one point? The guy I bought it from owned it for 30 years said he hadn't made any changes to it, only played it.

Have any of you bought replacement piping? Which one is the most accurate?

Thanks guys,
Matt

Latest posts