• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

John Mayer

• Thread starter dialsmikey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newbies

Reaction score
He is a good player, I really like his cover of bold as love. I havent really liked much of his stuff after continuum. I have a Mayer strat but not because of him, it's just a really nice guitar. He would have more fans if he stopped being a douche like in the past.

John 14:6

Reaction score
He is a good player, I really like his cover of bold as love. I havent really liked much of his stuff after continuum. I have a Mayer strat but not because of him, it's just a really nice guitar. He would have more fans if he stopped being a douche like in the past.
Some guys hate him because he plays better than them and because he dates a bunch of women they could never get. The guy is a badass musician who has really helped to make it cool again to actually be able to play when you pick up a guitar.

A few of us at church pitched in to buy one of the guys on the worship team a sunburst John Mayer Fender Strat that he was drooling over. The guy is a single father raising three daughters and could not really afford a guitar like that. I just saw him play in his classic rock band a few weeks ago and he is still very much in love with that guitar. I had the guitar set up along with having the nut re-cut and some minor fret work done before we gave it to him a few years ago. They are great guitars for sure, but Fender does not always give them all the love they should before they leave the factory. My Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strats needed some work right off the rack also.

Reactions: JAC

newbies

Reaction score
He definitely is a great player!! That's a good thing you guys at the church did, John. Great story should be more of that sort of thing happening!!

Bieling3

Reaction score
I come here to get away from this shit on the gear page...

John Mayer...:ugh:

...REALLY?!

What's next, khakis and hawaiian shirts while demoing a YJM?

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
It's purely subjective but I don't think his lyrics are great. but i admit i've not heard his whole catalog. waiting on the world to end. no. it recalls the expression "wish in one sh_t in the other". If you want something do something. This is the voice of a generation? give me RATM...young people should be angry. it's the natural order. we are pacified.

dialsmikey

Reaction score
Case in point...you cannot EFF with this...

Him and another player that doesn't get nearly enough credit for being an amazing talent...Brad Paisley... Not really my cup of tea as far as music style goes.but man...the two of them together kill it.

That concert is insanely good!

SwampThing

Reaction score
I find him annoying and artistically in the same caliber as Taylor Switch and Miley Cyrus.

Thank God I'm not the only one. Sorry I put him in the same category as Kenny Wayne Shepard. LOADS of natural talent plagued by wanting to be SRV. Replete with patented SRV guitar faces. Makes me sick.

What's even worse is Mayer KNOWS he can play but chooses to put out garbage throwaway pop.

guitargoalie

Reaction score
Was watching crossroads DVD and stumbled on this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahbb9rzMDg]John Mayer-"Who Did You Think I Was" Crossroads Festival 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

I think I'll need to check out more of his career to establish an opinion, but that was cool

Cold Warrior

Reaction score
Well he's a very good guitar player, and writes some great songs. But amazing singer? I think that's stretching it a bit. He surely gets the high caliber pussy!

It's ok not to like him here. After all, this isn't The Gear Page :hbang:
I've never heard him do anything innovative. He is an extremely polished player of existing styles. But it simply doesn't move me.

The fact that he is a Titanic Arsehole makes it impossible to like him, and I tire of his pretentious vocals and songs too quickly to listen to an entire album at once.

By far his most impressive talent is landing A-1 celebrity pussy....in spite of (or maybe partially BECAUSE of) the fact that everyone knows he's a Titanic Arsehole.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
His style of music is just not for me .... to each there own i say !!
But for this style & type of music he's a pretty good guitarist even though he was a GIT dropout !!

I just can't stand his vocals for any more than a song or two ... it's like he's whispering really hard or some shit ... meh!!!

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank God I'm not the only one. Sorry I put him in the same category as Kenny Wayne Shepard. LOADS of natural talent plagued by wanting to be SRV.

and there it is. we only needed one SRV. thats what made him special.

jc109

Reaction score
Very talented, but......

Not a fan.
Not authentic.
Sounds like he made a conscious decision to play this style of music.
It lacks the soul that the real players of the genre have.
You know, the one's you will never hear of.

But he's highly marketable to the music industry and to Fender.
A young, white, fender guitar slinger, playing some blues, with some tabloid sensation.
It's a no-brainer for Fender and the music biz.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I saw a concert on DVD of his. It was cleverly done with the three different sets. Really cool to see.

But what surprised me was his TELEPROMPTER for the lyrics. Wha!?!?!?

Cold Warrior

Reaction score
I saw a concert on DVD of his. It was cleverly done with the three different sets. Really cool to see.

But what surprised me was his TELEPROMPTER for the lyrics. Wha!?!?!?

He strikes me as someone with his heart in Manhattan who plays "blues" because some guys in three piece suits with $200 bottles of cognac told him it was cool. :ugh: It's like he is some kind of professional talent contest ringer or something. But to me, there is no prize in listening to that. I'd rather hear a good singer/songwriter than a "pro" bluesman, especially when he adds a little jazz to makes things even more smug.

Latest posts