Jose mod '69 Super Lead

• Thread starter StingRay85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seanxk

Reaction score
This goes on my to watch list, thanks for this

I watched this a while ago now, but had forgotten how thorough it was, step by step and an hour long, but he actually comes across well and not hanging around on pointless subjects, which so often happens with youtube.

Exotic

Reaction score
this thread has brought up alot of interesting questions .

1.did jose arrendondo add diode clipping to plexi and jmp amps?
2.who did diode clipping first? marshall with the jcm 800 jcm 900 or jose arrendondo?
3.is a marshall jcm 800 or 900 close to a modded plexi or jmp amp? or are there many other things in a modded amp ?
4.who is better jose arrendondo or lee jackson?
5.so adding another preamp tube is a mod made to get better crunch ? like adding a fuzz box or a distortion pedal?
6.what parts of an amp are added or replaced in an amp mod?
7.is diode clipping a bad thing ?
8.hand wired vs pots soldered on pcb board ,does it affect the tone or just reliability or what?
9.what is a push/pull pot used for ?
10.if diode clipping is so frowned upon ,why did jose do it? and why do people like his mods so much if he put diodes in amps ,as a mod?
i'm asking these things because ,i play heavy metal and neo classical ,and thrash and alternative?
and i use a jcm 800 and a jcm 900 ,but sometimes i think i would like a 1977 jmp amp,but then again i wonder if it's not suited for that type of music and it's better for classic rock which i don't do .

Last edited:

Ned B

Reaction score
I think there is some misunderstandings about Jose's mods. From my experience with the 3 I have including possibly the first modded Marshall, a 12 series it was less about the hot rodding and more about achieving a great tone producing amp. In this area he was unique. The master volume with the pull pot to kick in the diode clipping was rudimentary and nothing special. What was more interesting was that he added unity stages for tone shaping, not just hot rodding. One of his lesser known modds was to run the amp with no screen filtering and to employ various methods to increase B+.

Reaction score
There’s a video from Ossie Ahsen where he goes through a Jose modded amp to the point you could make your own. Getting the Jose mod that way would be way cheaper.

NoelH

Reaction score
$40K??? Laughable. Consider several Ceriatones with various flavors of mods. Or any one of a dozen modders that all know the 'Jose Mods' in their sleep. And if I understand, Mr. Arradondo had several different mods.
Is there some 'mystical mojo' that Jose had that others don't? NO! How silly.

guitarzan2525

Reaction score
This prick knows he won't get $40K. He's trying to inflate the market.

boola1

Reaction score
Jose made fantastic amps which are still the best Marshall / modded Marshall amps you can buy IMO.

As with any antique, it's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. Given he/she accepts offers, the 40K price tag doesn't really mean anything.

Dirty-D

Reaction score
this video here is priceless. Hand holding through the circuit, beautiful.Really helps one to understand. Thank you for the post

JTM 100 Mk V

Reaction score
This listing caught my eye when it came out as well. I'm familiar with the Outlaws and like their music so this is a legitimate pedigree. In addition since the listing, JOSE mods have gotten alot of further understanding as the various mods surface and are analyzed. Jose was solving problems and shaping tone. He was also doing what Marshall should have been doing.

The price of the goods has risen significantly in the past year and hyper inflation is here, so the number or asking price will continue to prove to be 'viable'. Not for me or us here, but for someone that knows what they are buying, has the $$ and invests into the return of the pedigree of the artist and tone shaper. Granted the tape is a sad Spinal Tap touch, but , by now its gotta stay.

Jose and the diode clipping could vary quite a bit with the different combinations of zeners and diodes. O'Conner went into that in his books. The tone shaping is there however.

One thing of significance is the cutting of the low end in the front ASAP to keep the tightness and satisfy the increasingly metal tones needed, think Metallica Black, and Blue Murder. Bob Rock Jose' head, Sykes Jose' head and some Boogie gear , btw.

So were getting into Legend territory, where Dumble, Trainwreck and others have landed.

Harry Kolbe of Soundsmith in NYC did a very nice take off on the Jose' mods and engineering solutions. I've got a few where he used advanced approaches to filtering, front end boosts and effect loops, with zeners btw, that are in the same ballpark. If you jumped the effects loop , you would add the zeners, gain and had adjustable levels , just like Jose'. Instead of a tube he used a Bi Fet Pre amp as well. Increadible tones.

We all don't like the drilled holes and bordering desecration of these amps , so we have to realize what was done is done. The amp in the Reverb add is on MANY recordings and was used live in front of millions of fans globally, so if you can imagine it sounds as good as a 40k Dumble or Trainwreck, why not ?

In all cases for me , the price is a little high. That is until we go beyond a $200 piece of plywood and $ 1000 dollar bottle of bourbon as hyper inflation kicks into high gear.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
I have a theory about these type of listings.

Spouse: "You have too damn many amps, time to sell one."
Marshall owner: "Ok... If I must... I will sell this really valuable one. Up on ebay it goes!"
(Later)
Spouse: "Why is that still here?"
Marshall owner: "Nobody wanted to buy it, guess I'll have to keep trying..."
(Next year)
Spouse: "Why is that still here?"
Marshall owner: "Still nobody wanted to buy it, guess I'll have to keep trying..."
(Later)
Etc...

Reaction score
This amp is worth what someone will pay for it.
Will he get 40k?
The seller mentions Dumble amps inferring this amp is comparable.
From what I've seen, it most certainly is only because people in the guitar world love spending money on something someone else has told them is a really good thing.
To me, it's a hacked early metal face ( ?) with a c1998 output transformer.
To others it has another value.
If I had this amp, I'd do what i did to my early hacked metalface, and blueprint it, and enjoy the sound of these amps as I think they should sound.
This one would be a lot harder to blueprint because I bet more is missing.
Imagine the rats nest inside that abused chassis.
I bet the signal caps are long gone.
I've got an old pedal, a boss od1 first batch release, and it looks as if it has been on 5000 stages in it's life, beaten to hell, still works though, and this amp reminds me of it.
To some in the guitar world, 40k is like 5 bucks to the rest of us and I'm thinking some fool will actually buy this.