JOYO Vintage Overdrive

• Thread starter SgtB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bvoris

Reaction score
Main reason I buy most of my pedals used on CL or ebay. Will have to look into a Joyo pedal tho. I did just get a Boss Power Stack and its pretty damn sweet.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
I've never kept a boutique pedal other than my Hermidia Zendrive. That is a King Dong pedal and is the best of the Dumble fakers IMO.

All the others I had left me feeling short changed. I have no doubt that there are some amazing pedals out there that may be expensive and I guess whatever works for whatever sound you want to achieve with the guitar and amp you have...
That may be a Klon or a Joyo...

But the idea that you get the perfect tone when you spend big is bullshit.

I don't like the word 'boutique' it is to me just a way of letting people know theyre going to be paying big for something made in small numbers.

It's just another industry word or phrase that's thrown about like 'handwired', 'point to point' 'true bypass'... Blah blah.
Not that those terms don't mean something, but their meaning and relevance are diminished through over usage in marketing. Not everyone needs True Bypass and Hand wired is not always best.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I'm going to take heat for saying this , but .....

The stock TS9 or the 808 have never really blown me away ... so its no real surprise that the Japs or China men have been able to mass produce another cheap , yet good sounding OD that can keep up with a 808 or 9 series for yester year !

brp

Reaction score
Totally agree with this. I can't say I've ever found a correlation with respect to price / satisfaction when it comes to pedals.

I've definitely found a correlation between price and reliability/durability with pedals at least anectdotally, but I get your point regarding tone "satisfaction". That doesn't count for much when it won't work after awhile though.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
I've definitely found a correlation between price and reliability/durability with pedals at least anectdotally, but I get your point regarding tone "satisfaction". That doesn't count for much when it won't work after awhile though.

Yea there is no doubt that there are tons of badly made plastic pedals clogging up the eBay search box. These are absolute dog shit for sure.
Having owned a Joyo for a couple of months now I can honestly say they are a million miles from a cheap ass plastic Berhinger pedal.
They are in a solid case, have a quiet switch and the input and output jack seem of decent quality.
There is no tone suckage or spill when the pedal is not engaged and it runs deadly quiet.
Time will of course tell on the reliability but I can't help thinking they are gonna go up even more in price.
For now I'm just going to enjoy a little bit of inverted snobbery and remind myself of the Law Of Diminishing Returns.

:cool:

bvoris

Reaction score
I just got my Vintage Overdrive on Sunday.

I only had a little time to play with it and overall is pretty clear and loud. I noticed that it added an INSANE amount of sustain to my VS65R and Gibson. Not like oh 5 seconds is added great. I mean I could play a note and for as long as I was holding the note it was still ringing... This seemed pretty unusually on my SS even with some of my other OD pedals. ( I have a lot of OD pedals)

Sounds really cool. I will hook it up to my 2203 tonight or tomorrow and see how it tones in on my tubes.

So far not bad for a $40.
I may consider getting the Ultimate Overdrive in a month or two.

Reaction score
I say hell yes to the Joyo Vintage Overdrive. After relentlessly researching overdrive pedals and Tube Screamer Copies, this is the pedal I finally found. And not just because of the 40 dollar price tag. But also for the tone. They sound fucking great. And it is TRUE BYPASS :thumb: For me this is very important. Especially when talking about an overdrive pedal. The last thing you want is a shitty pedal like a Digitech Bad Monkey in front of your bitchin tube amp. The Bad Monkey isnt a bad sounding pedal when engaged and used to drive your preamp tubes, but it is a horrible tone sucker when bypassed. I stay away from Boss and Digitech because of the buffered bypass. Buffered bypass pedals are not always an issue if say for example you have something like a Digitech digital chorus running as a constant effect in your effects loop like I do. But to have a cheap buffered bypass pedal as the first pedal in your chain before your preamp... Not a good idea.

SgtB

Reaction score
So I've had the ultimate overdrive and vintage overdrive for a few mon this now. They are well constructed and sound great individually. I'm using them low volume overdrive on a Class 5. Great tones. They sound great played separately for nice rhythm sounds and when stacked they provide a great lead tone. For $80 I think they're a hell of a deal. Looking forward to going back to the states and putting them in front of my 2204.

Nudge68

Reaction score
Just like everyone here, I too have spent way too much coin looking for that magic in a box. Haven't yet found one that does it all. Don't expect to either.

The humble Boss SD1 kills the xotic effects BB Preamp through my '70s Marshalls, but through my Cornford the BB preamp kills the SD1. Great fun to mix and match... of course guitars and other crap in the signal chain also impact the tone.

.... the number of times I've pulled apart and reassembled my pedalboard this year alone ...

Off topic, but I'd mention a dedicated clean boost could substitute for an OD. The MXR Micro amp and xotic effect EP booster work well. Also loading them before an OD sometimes works nicely.

cheers,

Matt.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
My new secret weapon is a Joyo Roll Boost. One knob, up to 35db of gain, very transparent. I was so impressed with this pedal that I've order another four...Analog Delay, Anolog Chorus, Plexi Drive and a 6 band Graphic. They are very compact and perfect for a little board. £129 the lot delivered. Sold my Way Huge Pork Loin that I never use, a non working Boss DD3 and an old Akai valve drive that sounded ok but was too big and paid for the lot. :D

80s dude

I still think, and it's been true for literally decades now, that the best bang for the buck- reliable, good sounding w/o fucking up the mids, in a metal box(*), etc., remains the Boss SD-1. And with a couple of mods that take mere minutes to do (which are freely available on the net), they do indeed stand up to most boutique pedals. The end. :)

*OK, not quite the end- if youze guys actually gig with pedals in plastic enclosures, well... good luck to ya. LOL!

80s dude

Different strokes, but I prefer the sound of a TS-style boost over a SD-style boost.

Know what ya mean, but the reason I picked the SD-1 is it's $50 new; the TS-9 is $100, hence bang 4 the buck. :thumb:

Also, you can bring the SD-1 close to the TS-9 with a few component changes, and still come out way ahead.

Mark_McQ

Reaction score
Depending on what ones you want, Thomann is the cheapest place for them. They sell them under their Harley Benton brand, and they're £22 each, Even the amp sim ones, which usually retail 1 1/2 times the standard range elsewhere.
They don't carry the entire range though.

hybrido

Reaction score
hey guys.. what you think about the joyo vintage overdrive to heat the gain of a marshall jcm900 hi gain? i ordered one but it didn´t arrive yet.... thank a lot