Jubilee reissue vs original

• Thread starter maxime1122
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maxime1122

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought a Marshall 2554 (1x12 combo) combo recently and found out it has less gain than the reissue Jubilee I have (2555X & 2525C)

The 2554 is the black version dating from 1988, I was surprised I had to bring the gain around 8 to be about the same as the reissue at 5.

Have you guys experienced the original to have a bit less gain (or maybe just the black ones)? I noticed I have to bump the treble & presence a bit more also!

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Even on 10, it feels like it has less gain. But it seems like it has more power amp distortion when I go beyond 6-7 on the master volume

Swap all three preamp style (one of them is actually the phase inverter) tubes from the 2555 into the same positions in the 2554 and see if it is more similar? Tubes can sometimes make huge differences and sometimes not.
Just Suggestin'
Gene

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Swap all three preamp style (one of them is actually the phase inverter) tubes from the 2555 into the same positions in the 2554 and see if it is more similar? Tubes can sometimes make huge differences and sometimes not.
Just Suggestin'
Gene
Gain wise with a Jubilee would be V1. Second stage of distortion is the diode clipping.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Gain wise with a Jubilee would be V1. Second stage of distortion is the diode clipping.

Ah yes, but the OP @maxime1122 mentioned seemingly different performace of the power section, which also includes the phase inverter. Swapping all three tubes compares like to like and from there he could narrow down which ones are causing the most dramatic differences.
Simply Tubin'
Gene

Old Punker

Reaction score
+1 on preamp tube being the culprit. I have noticed significant gain level changes on various amps after swapping for a different brand of preamp tube. It's a bit of a compromise. Sometimes the lower gain tubes have a better tone in a certain amp so I stick with them and adjust the gain/EQ accordingly.