Just finished my JMP 2204 clone. Totally worth it!

• Thread starter vivanchenko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Just finished my JMP 2204 clone. Initially it was very noisy and oscillated at high frequencies, in spite of the uttermost care I took of grounding, but all the problems were resolved, miraculously, once I used a shielded wire connecting the volume to pin 2 of V1. Now the amp is quieter than my 50 W Origin. Shielding turned out to be the ticket in my case. The amp sounds exactly like the real thing. Building clones is totally worth it. Love it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230625_010425792.jpg
    PXL_20230625_010425792.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20230625_011219517.jpg
    PXL_20230625_011219517.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

mark123

Reaction score
what kit was this?
Or if not a kit what are the brads behind main componets?
Are you asking about the turrets that the components are connected to? Before PCBs this was a common building technique along with eyelet boards and point to point construction.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Just finished my JMP 2204 clone. Initially it was very noisy and oscillated at high frequencies, in spite of the uttermost care I took of grounding, but all the problems were resolved, miraculously, once I used a shielded wire connecting the volume to pin 2 of V1. Now the amp is quieter than my 50 W Origin. Shielding turned out to be the ticket in my case. The amp sounds exactly like the real thing. Building clones is totally worth it. Love it.

what kit was this?

I too would be quite interested to know what kit or source was used for components and layout/schematic/documentation? I did a cursory search for a related build thread, but did not find one?

Just Askin'?
Gene

Last edited:

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
Yes what kit did you use?
I'm also contemplating building a JMP 2204 replica with new components and then fine tuning it to sound like an original.

lesexypaul82

Reaction score
I meant if not a kit what transformers, size resistors and caps etc etc. Maybe even say why you chose x over y brand or type

vivanchenko

Reaction score
what kit was this?
Not a kit. I purchased all parts separately. Classic Tone power transformer (made in USA, no longer available anywhere, dual voltage, 450 and 400 V B+), Hammond output transformer and choke. Hammond transformers are hugely underestimated. They are seriously good, made in Canada, and they have been manufacturing transformers for the music industry since forever. The transformer and the choke I used are drop-in replacements for the respective 2204 parts.

This is what I used for turret board: https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/turret-board-pre-loaded-60-turrets-300mm-x-60mm-x-2mm.html Only I bought it for about 15 Canadian in a local electronics supplies store in Toronto.

All coupling caps are Mallory 150 series. They are very good and not very expensive. I used 1 W resistors almost everywhere even though 1/2 W is sufficient in most places. Did it for durability. Don't know what brand they are. I bought them in a music supplies store in Toronto where they only sell trusted and reliable parts. All filter caps are F&Ts.

Bought the chassis and face plates at Ali Express. They turned out to be very good quality. No issues with them whatsoever.

The 0.68 uF cap is WIMA MKS-4 metallized polyester film. WIMA caps are very high quality.

All input jacks a made in UK Cliffs, which are the same thing as what Marshall uses for its production models.

Planning to shorten and tidy up some of the wiring in the near future, otherwise I am very happy with the results.

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I sure do miss ClassicTone! Besides providing a wide variety of great transformers, their website was a goldmine of technical cross-reference info!
Still Missin'
Gene

AndyD

Reaction score
Congratulations. If you don't mind me saying, you could do with shortening the flying leads from the pots etc. It will look neater and mitigate potential problems in the future with cross talk etc. Well done, anyway, and enjoy!

mark123

Reaction score
I meant if not a kit what transformers, size resistors and caps etc etc. Maybe even say why you chose x over y brand or type
Oh you meant “brands”. When you wrote “brads” i though you meant the metal bits.

mark123

Reaction score
Congratulations. If you don't mind me saying, you could do with shortening the flying leads from the pots etc. It will look neater and mitigate potential problems in the future with cross talk etc. Well done, anyway, and enjoy!
Maybe he likes spaghetti. 😄

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Thank you. I totally agree with you. Will fix the wiring.

10kDA

Reaction score
Awesome! Congratulations. You KNOW everybody wants to hear clips. Just sayin'...

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Awesome! Congratulations. You KNOW everybody wants to hear clips. Just sayin'...
Thank you. I am not home this week. Might record a short demo next weekend, but I don't make any commitments. The best description of how the amp sounds is "ballsy" and "meaty", just like the Plexi clone I made it out of (complete rework with new PCB, all electronic components and pots). What's different is that it obviously has more gain and it "roars", if it makes sense, it roars very loudly, and then it gradually transitions into nice feedback. The Plexi clone didn't quite do it. The amp doesn't sound thin as the later versions of the JCM 800 that I played. Something to be expected from a JMP 2204. This is exactly why I chose it over a JCM 800 clone, and it didn't disappoint. My son said that he felt tremors 2 floors above me.

Last edited:

Latest posts