Marshall jmp 2204 annoying problem

• Thread starter Petejax1234
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you still get the "fuzzy" sound if the gain is backed off a bit? In, other words, does the problem only occur if the gain is maxed? If so, sounds like it could be an oscillation issue which can be sorted with improved lead dress or shielded grid wires.....or just backing off the gain until it stops. Hope that helps.
Yeah, in my experience oscillation often sounds like fizz on top of the normal signal. Sometimes the normal signal sounds kinda choked, too.

Petejax1234

Reaction score
Ye thanks for the replies guys. Maybe it was an oscillation issue. I took it to a different tech who bench tested it and he said there’s nothing wrong with it. So maybe it’s just me or the way I’m setting it up I’m really not sure. All I know is I have an early 80s jcm800 2204 and that sound out of this world however I set it.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ye thanks for the replies guys. Maybe it was an oscillation issue. I took it to a different tech who bench tested it and he said there’s nothing wrong with it. So maybe it’s just me or the way I’m setting it up I’m really not sure. All I know is I have an early 80s jcm800 2204 and that sound out of this world however I set it.
Same volume and gain settings and the guy couldn’t get it to mess up? Are you plugging straight into the amp when the problem happens?

Petejax1234

Reaction score
Same volume and gain settings and the guy couldn’t get it to mess up? Are you plugging straight into the amp when the problem happens?
Straight in to the amp is yes. I’m obviously hearing something that atleast these two techs are not. Anyways I’ve traded the amp in against an old guitar and the new owner seems thoroughly happy with the amp.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
No, the tech is saying he hasn’t got time to go near the amp for atleast a month as he’s crazy busy. Looking at the invoice about the only thing he didn’t do was change the filter caps. Could be a cold solder joint even I guess. This amp is an absolute beauty and I’m sure it’s something very minor, just very annoying
If you can't strong-arm him to do the service now play it for a month and bring it to him when he's available, and rip him a new one for not doing a proper service for that money in the first place and don't pay him a penny more to get it right. What did he really do for 400 bucks??

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straight in to the amp is yes. I’m obviously hearing something that atleast these two techs are not. Anyways I’ve traded the amp in against an old guitar and the new owner seems thoroughly happy with the amp.
Sorry it didn’t work out. Is the guitar nice?

TM1

Reaction score
I would bet that the Bias is off. Which Bias control does it have, an up-graded trimpot or the square slider pot? The slider pots are famous for going wonky.

matttornado

Reaction score
Man if i were your tech, i would have felt embarrassed, i would have apologized and taken it back for immediate repair free of charge. if it needed caps, i would not charge the labor.

mark123

Reaction score
Threads like this one is why I fix my own amps now. Most “techs” are tube swappers and little else. The worst part is when they talk to you like they performed rocket surgery after replacing a phase inverter tube.

No one is ever touching my amps ever again.

Latest posts