Just ordered a G12C

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
So I was looking for a used deal on a greenback because I don't think I've ever tried an actual 12" greenback before. I've tried G10s and a WGS 12" Green Beret, but never an actual 12" GB. Looking for one I found a listing for a G12C and started doing some research on it. It seems these things are hard to come by and people seem to really like them. Anyway, I found this one just listed today on reverb for cheaper than the GBs I was finding and about $100 less than any other G12C I saw so I snagged it.

It sounds good in a couple of demos I listened to. Hope I like it. :fingersx:

doc mckenna

Reaction score
I'm going to try it in my 112 cab first to get a feel for it, but I'm hoping it'll pair well with a Creamback 65 in my 212. The G12C is 75w, the CB is 65W and they are both 97dB sensitivity so they should pair well. I'm currently running 2 CBs in my 212.
I would also suggest trying a single 12 in a 212 cab. You might like it.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Not a big fan of the GB yet.
The 25 watt versions, need to travel in pairs or as 4 packs and that gets expensive fast.
I like my V30s, and creambacks.
Just tried 2 Hempbacks and they are awesome.

Just ordered a creamback to pair up with my other creamback and then place in a Marshall 4x12 MG cab.
I placed 2 good drivers in one of these cabs and let the other 2 remaining MG speakers act as passive floating baffles. With more breathing room for only 2 functioning drivers, you get a much fuller tone, especially a little extra thump at the bottom end.

MG 4x12 cabs can be purchased for $99 or so. The speakers in them are not so great.
But when you sum up the cost of building materials for making a cab, $99 gets you almost nothing.
So.....
The MG cabs have been a good one to use. Solid enough and they look good.
I have built cabs in the past and it's a lot if work if you want something nice.

The difference in tone from the the MG drivers to good Celestion drivers is astounding.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
My speaker came today. I didn't even bother putting it in the 112 first, I put it in the 212 with a Creamback 65 and it is good! The cab almost sounds about the same except there is less bass "thump", a good thing for me, and it seems to have added some brightness to the upper mids in a good way. I like it...a lot!

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
This is great, now I can put the CB I took out of my 212 in my 112 cab to use with my SC because it sounds awesome with a CB and the 212 now sounds better with my HG Plexi, which sounded muffled and dark with 2 CBs. This is perfect for what I was trying to do. Win!

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
Not a big fan of the GB yet.
The 25 watt versions, need to travel in pairs or as 4 packs and that gets expensive fast.
I like my V30s, and creambacks.
Just tried 2 Hempbacks and they are awesome.

Just ordered a creamback to pair up with my other creamback and then place in a Marshall 4x12 MG cab.
I placed 2 good drivers in one of these cabs and let the other 2 remaining MG speakers act as passive floating baffles. With more breathing room for only 2 functioning drivers, you get a much fuller tone, especially a little extra thump at the bottom end.

MG 4x12 cabs can be purchased for $99 or so. The speakers in them are not so great.
But when you sum up the cost of building materials for making a cab, $99 gets you almost nothing.
So.....
The MG cabs have been a good one to use. Solid enough and they look good.
I have built cabs in the past and it's a lot if work if you want something nice.

The difference in tone from the the MG drivers to good Celestion drivers is astounding.
Weber speaker solved the problem of GBs being too low wattage by upping the game. You can get their GB style speaker in 50, 75 and 100 watt configuration and the G12 Vintage with the 55hz cone option. Also the option to pick paper or hemp cone and to pick pre-rola doping on the cones. Now you can get a GB style speaker rated at 50, 75 or 100 watts with paper or hemp cone and less speakers crammed into a 412

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
G12-65 are sort of greenback on steroids, no ?
yes and no, the G12-65 is waaaay beefier on the lows and the mids aren't transparent and washy in the mids like the GB. Plus they have a much better attack and aren't thin sounding like GBs. However I would assume they tried even closer with the Creambacks to resolve the low end that was much needed

JohnH

Reaction score
I really really like the sound of the twin G12C's in my VM combo. I haven't had the chance to compare them to a standard G12M Greenback though.

Lily_Taeko74

Reaction score
I really really like the sound of the twin G12C's in my VM combo. I haven't had the chance to compare them to a standard G12M Greenback though.
very similar from what I remember, the G12C are a touch less washy in the mids but not by much. If you turn up the gain it's very similar, maybe a little rounder in the lows. From what I remember when I had em

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try it in my 112 cab first to get a feel for it, but I'm hoping it'll pair well with a Creamback 65 in my 212. The G12C is 75w, the CB is 65W and they are both 97dB sensitivity so they should pair well. I'm currently running 2 CBs in my 212.
Are you sure? The G12C's in my VM cabs are 25w.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? The G12C's in my VM cabs are 25w.
Well, now I'm not, no. I don't know why I thought that. I know I was looking at the specs for the G12C along with a Creamback 65 to make sure they would pair well. I have no idea where I got that from now, but I was sure at the time. :nuts: I edited that post. I can't even find specs on it now so I don't know what I was looking at that night. :shrug:

Whatever it is it's a sweet pair with a CB 65 in my 212 so it's a keeper.

Last edited:

C-Grin

Reaction score
Well, now I'm not, no. I don't know why I thought that. I know I was looking at the specs for the G12C along with a Creamback 65 to make sure they would pair well. I have no idea where I got that from now, but I was sure at the time. :nuts:

Whatever it is it's a sweet pair with a CB 65 in my 212 so it's a keeper.
Hmm I have a Greenback in a box, a CB 65 in a1x12 and a now open 2x12. I might have to do sumthin similar.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I concurr, and yup it sounds great. :dude:
But my GB is just a plain old mic reissue.
I'm sure mine is, too. I bought 2 of them new just months ago. I had the 2 CB 65s in my 212 and with my SC it was fine, better than the other combinations I'd tried, but with my HG Plexi it was dark and kind of dull sounding. Mixing the G12C with the CB added some brightness and bottom end that made my HG sound livelier and also still sounds great with my SC. I think they compliment each other very well.

Latest posts