JVM HJS Programmable PPIVM Master Volume

RockmanCentralBob

Reaction score
Hello.... for many, I'm sure this will be sacrilege, but I wanted to try it anyway.
I added a PPIMV Lar/Mar type Master Volume circuit to my VJM HJS, but decided to make it programmable/switchable using some relays.
The relays are wired to switch based on the Master Volume setting..... Master Volume 1 activates the PPIMV, and Master Volume 2 uses the stock Master Volume.
I primarily use the PPIMV on the Crunch channels (diming the channel and Master Volume), and use the stock MV for the Clean and OD channels, balanced to roughly match (with a slight boost for leads).
Of course, I can also effectively disable the PPIMV by turning it all the way up and resorting to the Original Master Volume control to control the overall volume.

Some people may frown on this, but I like the sound and having the option is pretty cool!
YMMV!

RockmanCentralBob

Kuga

Reaction score
Why do you do that?
The JVM410HJS already has a switchable programable two master volume. They works perfectly.
I think it's a no sence.

Last edited:

RockmanCentralBob

Reaction score
Does it really make that much diff for an amp like that that gets the majority of it's tone from the preamp?
Personally I say get an amp that is less modern that does that.
I got the JVM HJS because it does everything from a 45 to an 800+. So now I can rely less on the preamp and more on the output stages like a classic Plexi for rhythms and cleaner leads while still being able to have those high gain preamp sounds for liquid leads.

Kuga

Reaction score
Yes, but it’s not a PPIMV, so it doesn’t drive the phase inverter tube like the old non-master volume amps did. If you aren’t familiar with it, Google it.
I respect your decision. Looks like it's a resonable decision for you. If you are happy with It I'm happy too.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I got the JVM HJS because it does everything from a 45 to an 800+. So now I can rely less on the preamp and more on the output stages like a classic Plexi for rhythms and cleaner leads while still being able to have those high gain preamp sounds for liquid leads.
Makes sense. I just get more amps!!! :applause: