JVM205H

• Thread starter CraigP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CraigP

Reaction score
Is there anything it will do that my DSL40C or DSL100HR can not do? Have a local guy here selling one for $700. Don't "need" another amp, but, you know....

G the wildman

Reaction score
Is there anything it will do that my DSL40C or DSL100HR can not do? Have a local guy here selling one for $700. Don't "need" another amp, but, you know....

I had a DSL40c and was never happy with the brutal tone or the difference in the channels in respect of the shared EQ

The jvm foot switch is very good. The amp always sounds great when switched on before it is EQd

Personally I think the JVM is superior. But you obviously like DSLs.

Can u play it first?

CraigP

Reaction score
I had a DSL40c and was never happy with the brutal tone or the difference in the channels in respect of the shared EQ

The jvm foot switch is very good. The amp always sounds great when switched on before it is EQd(

Personally I think the JVM is superior. But you obviously like DSLs.

Can u play it first?

Am planning to try it out in the next day or two if it is still available. I tend to be happy with my gear because I tweak it until I get what I want, and I make sure it is worth what I put into it. Fortunately, I have not met a Marshall I did not like for one use or another (so far). Only been playing since @ 1980 or so LOL

I am just a sucker for a good amp that seems like a good purchase.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
If you're happy with your amps, then there's no need to bother with the JVM. Save your money and get yourself something else (besides, holidays are coming and we all know how fast money goes during those times)...your call.

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
JVM MIDI switching is a good deal more useful than the DSL100HR MIDI.
If you have a MIDI capable multi-effects (like the FX8!) then you can assign any button configuration of the JVM to any user preset of the multi-effect unit.

Sacalait

Reaction score
I don't have a DSL but I do have a JVM205. It's versatile man! It covers every Marshall era pretty nicely! I'm not using it much since I picked up the SV20 but it's a matter of the size of the venues mostly. That's a good price if it's in good shape. Warning! It's a beast! It's damn loud and pretty heavy!

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I’m looking to get either a JVM2 or a DSL100HR soon. In my research, I’ve found both can do what the other does. Not sure which one has more gain, but I don’t play with crazy gain anyway.

Main difference is one is built like a brick shithouse and the other is not. But that’s ok with me, as long as I’m not tossing them off of trucks or anything.

IMO, if you have the DSL, you don’t need the JVM. Now if it were a JVM410H, that might be a different story because of the many modes.

Not to hijack, but I’d love to hear opinions from people who own both...amd I think the OP would too! Sorry to speak for you OP!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I’m looking to get either a JVM2 or a DSL100HR soon. In my research, I’ve found both can do what the other does. Not sure which one has more gain, but I don’t play with crazy gain anyway.

Main difference is one is built like a brick shithouse and the other is not. But that’s ok with me, as long as I’m not tossing them off of trucks or anything.

IMO, if you have the DSL, you don’t need the JVM. Now if it were a JVM410H, that might be a different story because of the many modes.

Not to hijack, but I’d love to hear opinions from people who own both...amd I think the OP would too! Sorry to speak for you OP!
JVM for the separate EQs, and all the functions and modes. DSL can't touch it. :yesway:

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score

I have both. In terms of versatility the JVM is superior, hands-down. Also more gain on tap with the JVM on the OD Orange and Red modes, for sure, but for crunch to medium-gain they’re pretty similar. Different texture to the gain, though – hard to describe it but the DSL has a rougher edge to the clipping, like more classic style, whereas the JVM has smoother, more modern clipping. Subtle difference, though.

Tone-wise honestly they’re surprisingly close. The JVM is less bright in the treble than the DSL and is tighter in the bass. DSL has more bottom end but starts to sounds woofy sooner than the JVM. Mids are maybe a little more prominent on the JVM, but you can dial them in reasonably close to each other.

Biggest difference that I notice between the two of them is in the feel/response. DSL is more immediate and picks up more string/pick/finger noise, like older amps. The JVM is slightly less touch-sensitive than the DSL, a little more forgiving and modern. The JVM can do that “liquid” saturated gain thing that I don’t really get from the DSL, more focused and smooth but the DSL sounds more raw and open. Both great in their own way, just depends what you're looking for.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I have both. In terms of versatility the JVM is superior, hands-down. Also more gain on tap with the JVM on the OD Orange and Red modes, for sure, but for crunch to medium-gain they’re pretty similar. Different texture to the gain, though – hard to describe it but the DSL has a rougher edge to the clipping, like more classic style, whereas the JVM has smoother, more modern clipping. Subtle difference, though.

Tone-wise honestly they’re surprisingly close. The JVM is less bright in the treble than the DSL and is tighter in the bass. DSL has more bottom end but starts to sounds woofy sooner than the JVM. Mids are maybe a little more prominent on the JVM, but you can dial them in reasonably close to each other.

Biggest difference that I notice between the two of them is in the feel/response. DSL is more immediate and picks up more string/pick/finger noise, like older amps. The JVM is slightly less touch-sensitive than the DSL, a little more forgiving and modern. The JVM can do that “liquid” saturated gain thing that I don’t really get from the DSL, more focused and smooth but the DSL sounds more raw and open. Both great in their own way, just depends what you're looking for.
Nice comparison! I like tight bottoms, but I like raw and open. Tough choice!

I’m thinking, for me, I’d prob prefer the jvm

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Nice comparison! I like tight bottoms, but I like raw and open. Tough choice!

I’m thinking, for me, I’d prob prefer the jvm

Tight bottom, raw and open AND a nice big, full top-end would be the best of all worlds... :)

I like them each plenty enough to keep both of them. Honestly, though, the one I play the most by far is the JMD. That thing can do anything!

Lukas

Reaction score
I own both as well, a JVM 210H and a DSL 40CR I bought to play at more reasonable levels. The DSL is a great amp and if I had to have something smaller in a combo because of where I lived for noise or room etc that’s what I would pick and have no reservations about it. The JVM is however superior. Let’s start with the reverb. I don’t play with a shit ton but the reverb on tap on the JVM is more than you’ll ever need and it sounds great. The reverb on the DSL is very subtle and literally needs to be pinned to be at the same level it would be on the JVM at say 30%. So if your a big reverb guy you’ll be disappointed with the DSL or at the very least just get a good reverb pedal. The 40 anyway I don’t know if other DSL’s share that weak reverb trait. The gain on the JVM is more than you’d ever need as well whether you play AC/DC or Slayer or Metallica etc. it sounds amazing right out of the gate, but I will say if you add a MXR 10 band to shape the OD orange tone and just boost it slightly it’s to die for. The DSL out of the box is great for AC/DC and slightly lighter gain rock and metal, anything more than that and your adding a Tube screamer or something that achieves the same result. If you play heavier music I think a tube screamer added to the DSL 40CR is amazing and is damn near a must to even compare with a JVM. Kinda sounds like I’m bashing a DSL but I’m not it’s a great amp I love it but just needs some tweaking or things added to make it better depending on what you play I suppose. I run mine with a Tube screamer on OD red to boost it and tighten it up and a TC electronics flashback delay for leads or on clean. I also have a corona chorus I use on clean also and it sounds beautiful teamed up with the delay. This in my opinion nipped the lack of reverb issue in the butt and then some. Tone is hard to explain tho. The JVM is tight and boomy but never ever mushy or not audible. The seperate eq’s is very nice too although I’ve never really had an issue with shared clean and OD Eq. What I like and set on OD I most always like on clean also. But I agree with previous comments on say the crunch settings they’re both very similar and both sound great. It’s on higher gain they differ I think. When played on higher gain I think the DSL has more of a fizzy sounding OD channel or a kind of sizzle but I heard that can be tamed with a cooler bias setting. The JCM’s share that trait too I do believe. I kinda like it tho. They’re both great amps I guess it depends on what you want to do with it and what you like. Can’t go wrong with either if you love Marshall’s.

CraigP

Reaction score
Went to play/purchase today ...... SOLD. F$#% me then

jchrisf

Reaction score

I own both as well, a JVM 210H and a DSL 40CR I bought to play at more reasonable levels. The DSL is a great amp and if I had to have something smaller in a combo because of where I lived for noise or room etc that’s what I would pick and have no reservations about it. The JVM is however superior. Let’s start with the reverb. I don’t play with a shit ton but the reverb on tap on the JVM is more than you’ll ever need and it sounds great. The reverb on the DSL is very subtle and literally needs to be pinned to be at the same level it would be on the JVM at say 30%. So if your a big reverb guy you’ll be disappointed with the DSL or at the very least just get a good reverb pedal. The 40 anyway I don’t know if other DSL’s share that weak reverb trait. The gain on the JVM is more than you’d ever need as well whether you play AC/DC or Slayer or Metallica etc. it sounds amazing right out of the gate, but I will say if you add a MXR 10 band to shape the OD orange tone and just boost it slightly it’s to die for. The DSL out of the box is great for AC/DC and slightly lighter gain rock and metal, anything more than that and your adding a Tube screamer or something that achieves the same result. If you play heavier music I think a tube screamer added to the DSL 40CR is amazing and is damn near a must to even compare with a JVM. Kinda sounds like I’m bashing a DSL but I’m not it’s a great amp I love it but just needs some tweaking or things added to make it better depending on what you play I suppose. I run mine with a Tube screamer on OD red to boost it and tighten it up and a TC electronics flashback delay for leads or on clean. I also have a corona chorus I use on clean also and it sounds beautiful teamed up with the delay. This in my opinion nipped the lack of reverb issue in the butt and then some. Tone is hard to explain tho. The JVM is tight and boomy but never ever mushy or not audible. The seperate eq’s is very nice too although I’ve never really had an issue with shared clean and OD Eq. What I like and set on OD I most always like on clean also. But I agree with previous comments on say the crunch settings they’re both very similar and both sound great. It’s on higher gain they differ I think. When played on higher gain I think the DSL has more of a fizzy sounding OD channel or a kind of sizzle but I heard that can be tamed with a cooler bias setting. The JCM’s share that trait too I do believe. I kinda like it tho. They’re both great amps I guess it depends on what you want to do with it and what you like. Can’t go wrong with either if you love Marshall’s.

Thanks for these.. Sounds like I am a DSL guy from both of these descriptions.

Crikey

Reaction score
Am planning to try it out in the next day or two if it is still available. I tend to be happy with my gear because I tweak it until I get what I want, and I make sure it is worth what I put into it. Fortunately, I have not met a Marshall I did not like for one use or another (so far). Only been playing since @ 1980 or so LOL

I am just a sucker for a good amp that seems like a good purchase.
Its a good amp for your stable. I would buy either one 50 or 100 watter, preferenceon the 100watt.

Latest posts