Keep breaking strings on a Floyd Rose

• Thread starter sdn25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sdn25

Reaction score
So I have this Schaller lockmeister 6 on my Charvel, the bridge is only about 4 months old, no visible wear except some sweat marks, but I keep breaking strings at the saddles. I read that the saddle may have burrs etc but the surface is shiny. Context: I break a string almost every 4 days, its got to a point where its really driving me crazy. most common culprits are the E,B,G and D string. Any guidance on what I could do would be amazing. I use elixir 9-42s.

zachman

Reaction score
So I have this Schaller lockmeister 6 on my Charvel, the bridge is only about 4 months old, no visible wear except some sweat marks, but I keep breaking strings at the saddles. I read that the saddle may have burrs etc but the surface is shiny. Context: I break a string almost every 4 days, its got to a point where its really driving me crazy. most common culprits are the E,B,G and D string. Any guidance on what I could do would be amazing. I use elixir 9-42s.

Sometimes grooves will wear their way into the saddle blocks, which pinch the string in place when you lock down the Allen screws, as well. Replacing them may be the trick

sdn25

Reaction score
Sometimes grooves will wear their way into the saddle blocks, which pinch the string in place when you lock down the Allen screws, as well. Replacing them may be the trick
Hmm, I had inspected the blocks too, they look pretty new to me, the string don't break at the block tho, they break just about where they leave the saddle behind the saddle adjustment screws.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
If I was you I would give consideration to replacing the entire thing with an official FR from FR. That seems to be a problem solver in many cases. I have never bought a guitar with an FR that wasn't an official FR because all the posts I have ever read about FR problems usually end up with the FR not being an official FR and the user getting them replaced by an official FR.

That's just me though. I would like to hear what others have to say.

zachman

Reaction score
Hmm, I had inspected the blocks too, they look pretty new to me, the string don't break at the block tho, they break just about where they leave the saddle behind the saddle adjustment screws.

Then perhaps it's a design flaw or you have micro burrs on the saddle itself. I agree with the other recommendations regarding replacement w/ an original Floyd or a Schaller Bridge

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Sounds like you have burs at the bridge where the string "breaks" over the intonator. Super fine 1500-2000 grit sandpaper can take care of it in most cases. You shouldn't have to go wild on it.

I am surprised you are having this problem with a made in Germany Schaller, but it's not unheard of with German made OFR's either, or any trem bridge I can think of. Just unusual for German made Schaller. They make the Original Floys Rose bridges, and their Lockmeister 6 looks to me to be the same spec as an OFR.

Good luck!

dslman

Reaction score
The little square/rectangle shaped block that pushes up against the string to the back of the saddle may also be the culprit. Switch it with one on a thicker string..like the low E, and see if the problem goes away. You can inspect it for any irregular sharpness that could be cutting into the string in question. If so it probably won't effect a thicker string.
Check the saddle first, for burrs, as mentioned in previous posts.

sdn25

Reaction score
The saddle blocks are fine, they have no grooves in them yet, again as I said they don’t break at the saddle inserts, but rather at the place where the string exits the saddle. Ran some fine sandpaper on the saddles, let’s see if they break again in 4 days

Could it be my technique ? Am I picking too hard? I’ve been trying to pick softer ever since which is difficult cus I like to dig in at times.

sdn25

Reaction score
Agreed on the official FR - I replaced two "licensed by" ones and never looked back
I have a schaller Lockmeister, schaller is the company that makes the original German Floyd, the Lockmeister is the same OFR but with their branding which makes them cheaper.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The saddle blocks are fine, they have no grooves in them yet, again as I said they don’t break at the saddle inserts, but rather at the place where the string exits the saddle. Ran some fine sandpaper on the saddles, let’s see if they break again in 4 days

Could it be my technique ? Am I picking too hard? I’ve been trying to pick softer ever since which is difficult cus I like to dig in at times.
I dig in too. I wonder if even your angle of attack has something to do with it?? Standing? Sitting? Maybe strap has it sitting where your pick gets almost caught under string and yanks it?
I dunno.

sdn25

Reaction score
I dig in too. I wonder if even your angle of attack has something to do with it?? Standing? Sitting? Maybe strap has it sitting where your pick gets almost caught under string and yanks it?
I dunno.
I attack the string with the pick parallel to the string, this tends to put more force on it, I usually try to keep my wrist straight so this is a by product. Should I be angling the pick to dig in? So as to not stress the saddle contact point of the string ?

sdn25

Reaction score
Update: broke the D string, its a new set of strings (a week old) I have included a picture of what the break looks like. It seems like the solid core broke and the nickel winding unravelled. The fact that a wound string broke on a new set tells me something is wrong, I had also sanded the saddles with 2000 grit to remove any burrs. Are the set of strings faulty? because I had bought a batch of elixirs and all the ones that broke were in that batch.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 12.05.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 12.05.50 PM.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 15

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Why is he saying Floyd Rose?

sdn25

Reaction score
Why is he saying Floyd Rose?
Because the schaller Lockmeister 6 is a German made Floyd rose. Easier to say Floyd rose than schaller Lockmeister.

Read this

I have a schaller Lockmeister, schaller is the company that makes the original German Floyd, the Lockmeister is the same OFR but with their branding which makes them cheaper.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Update: broke the D string, its a new set of strings (a week old) I have included a picture of what the break looks like. It seems like the solid core broke and the nickel winding unravelled. The fact that a wound string broke on a new set tells me something is wrong, I had also sanded the saddles with 2000 grit to remove any burrs. Are the set of strings faulty? because I had bought a batch of elixirs and all the ones that broke were in that batch.
:scratch:Hard to answer if you String Set was faulty ofc, but what you write remembers me of my own experiences when I got my first Floyd.
Most of my Guitars have TOM- Style Bridges, and I have developed a habit of resting my Hand just on the Edge of it- in the position to make Palm mutes. I also have a tendency to pick hard , and I use Dunlop 1.14 Pleks.
So, when I got my first Floyd- equipped Guitar, in the first week it drove me nuts that I always would bend it out of Tune. That was because I was resting my picking Hand on the Bridge too hard, and pressing it down. Maybe that could cause String breakages like the one you showed here, but you'd halso hear it. For a String breaking like this, there must be some friction involved. Have you encountered Tuning problems before, maybe the little "Cube" (?) that fixates the String is not tight enough/ overtightened, causing the String to move in the slot...

sdn25

Reaction score
:scratch:Hard to answer if you String Set was faulty ofc, but what you write remembers me of my own experiences when I got my first Floyd.
Most of my Guitars have TOM- Style Bridges, and I have developed a habit of resting my Hand just on the Edge of it- in the position to make Palm mutes. I also have a tendency to pick hard , and I use Dunlop 1.14 Pleks.
So, when I got my first Floyd- equipped Guitar, in the first week it drove me nuts that I always would bend it out of Tune. That was because I was resting my picking Hand on the Bridge too hard, and pressing it down. Maybe that could cause String breakages like the one you showed here, but you'd halso hear it. For a String breaking like this, there must be some friction involved. Have you encountered Tuning problems before, maybe the little "Cube" (?) that fixates the String is not tight enough/ overtightened, causing the String to move in the slot...
I have my Floyd blocked so it’s dive only, the strings are not moving in the block because when I remove the broken piece it’s definitely all the way in the socket, it breaks at the point where you see that little indent where the string rests, I’ve ordered a different set of strings to see whether it was indeed a faulty batch that caused it.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If strings break consistently at the same spot, that spot is where the problem is. There's a burr or sharp angle touching the string at that point. Polish it out.

Kutt

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is that you're possibly over tightening the lock blocks (highlighted below). They just need to be snug. Do not over tighten them against the string.

After that I would have to say something is wrong such as burrs as mentioned above. Assuming you bought the bridge new, contact Schaller and give them every possible detail. It may very well be a warranty issue if you bought the unit new.

You should not have to sand, file, or lubricate anything to keep your strings from breaking. Generally speaking you should be able to practically beat the shit out of things while playing so I don't think it's your technique.

1656841143689.png