Lead 12 5005 help power cord

• Thread starter megawzrd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

megawzrd

Reaction score
Greetings all Lead 12 owners. Just received delivery on a Lead 12, seems to be an early to mid production with the combo HP/Line out jack. First thing suspect when I unboxed it was a 3 prong plug shape missing the grounding prong marked I-Sheng on the plug molding.

So, did any of these early Lead 12s come with only a 2 prong power cord?

...anybody else have an old one with the same id on the plug molding?

I-Sheng SP30 e55943. From google search seems like previous owner grabbed an old computer cord and replaced it.

Don't want to crack her open yet or open something with the Seller yet without validating the power cord situation. Thanks in advance.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
So, did any of these early Lead 12s come with only a 2 prong power cord?
No, they should all be grounded.
Just about any 3 prong IEC style power cord should fit and work fine.

megawzrd

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Fitz.
Yes, putting it right should not be a problem.

But seller claims he is original owner. Never needed service or repair.

Hence my interest in how these left factory back on the 80s.

RLW59

Reaction score
Someone broke off the ground pin. Either accidentally by stepping on the plug, or intentionally (house/club with old 2-prong outlets, or a ground loop when running several AC devices hooked up to the same guitar).

2-prong plugs don't look like that, and you can see where the hollow ground pin used to be.

Wouldn't have hurt the amp at all. Slightly higher risk of electrocution, maybe a little noisier, but the amp will be fine if you replace the cord.

You can reasonably safely plug it in with the cable like that, turn it on, play a guitar through it to make sure it works. Just don't ground any part of your body while touching your guitar strings, any metal parts of your guitar, or any metal parts of the amp.

megawzrd

Reaction score
Yes. Thanks for the responses. I am well aware of the 3 prong molding and it does look like the the 3rd prong either broke off wether purposely or accidentaly. ...Aware of the Safety as well.

I was more interested in weather the cord was original to the amp or not (broken pin aside). Pretty moot I guess and just needs to be replaced.

Latest posts