• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Lead Tone Not Cutting Through The Mix, Advice Please

• Thread starter nobbydog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the mids is where its at then. To answer the earlier question I play with my 602 stacked on top of another matching 2x12 so the 602 itself sits about chest height. I'll also try the effects loop trick too. As one person mentioned above the 602 shares the eq section between crunch and lead channels so max'ing out the mids for the lead wont work as they will still be max'ed out when I switch back to the crunch channel for rhythm. I should also have mentioned that there is another guitar in the band mix playing rhythm so thats probably what I'm trying to compete with. We have some quick learning to do!

Rhythm guitar is an important part of the band's sound. The way I look at it he/she should only be heard if they stop playing. Their job is to fill out the sound, not chugga chugga away at ridiculous volume, drowning out the vocals and lead guitar. Listen to AC/DC for this balance down to a fine art. Everyone thinks of Angus as the guitarist of the band, but Malcolm was the driving force behind the overall sound, locked tightly in with the bass & drums. Tone is important too. Usually a darker tone works best with rhythm allowing the lead to come in and out to add the light and shade. The warning signs for a band is when the rhythm guitarist starts turning up because they can't hear themselves.

The other thing to do is get a decent hand held recorder and record your rehearsals there is no better way to learn balance.

Last edited:

Latest posts