Lets do this again, Brass tacks Studio JTM

• Thread starter JohnnyBandera
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
I can get one for 1k (US dollars) shipped. Brass tacks, how good are they, how well made? I would prefer a handwired jtm45/50 clone or boutique etc. but I don’t need one (have a Friedman plex). My main interest in the studio jtm is the size and weight factor. How loud are they? I’m not attenuating don’t plan on it. Can it get there for some JTM, blues, Hendrix tones at club volumes. Also interested in pairing it with either my hdrx20 or a tweed 1x12 combo. 1k is about my budget, is there anything else in the same ballpark? Also I prefer US or UK made (sorry hdrx20).

I’m saving for a Germino jtm flavor.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Brass tacks, how good are they, how well made?

They're fairly well made, certainly not much room for complaints in that respect. The amp itself to me is a bit of a 'halfway' marker to me; it has the JTM voicing and looks, but the output stage is cathode biased instead of fixed bias (applies to all the Studio amps) and it has a solid state rectifier so none of the sag that you get from the 45.

My main interest in the studio jtm is the size and weight factor. How loud are they?

Non-MV amp, 20W. It's loud. A little less loud on Low power mode, but it's not a bedroom amp out of the box. The weight and size factor are great, of course!

I’m not attenuating don’t plan on it.

Maybe best look for another amp, then. Same would apply to a JTM45, too.

Can it get there for some JTM, blues, Hendrix tones at club volumes

Totally.

1k is about my budget, is there anything else in the same ballpark?

If you're not planning on attenuating you're probably best off looking at an MV amp. The Studio Classic *might* be of interest to you, though obviously it's a JCM, not a JTM. That amp does conversation level to trouser flapping, sans attenuation.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I guess he can play "club" volumes with it, that probably means loud. Well simply put, if you can play that loud i'd go with a real JTM45, because the little 20watter will run out of juice too fast when playing with a rocktype drummy.

What do you mean "brass tacks"?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
You might want to consider a 2525C...

What does that have in common with a JTM Style amp?

If the guy would be concerned about volume, the only thing that would work without an attenuator would be...drumroll...

The Laney LA-Studio.

That thing can do the JTM45 stuff easily down to whisper thanks to inbuild IR and a standard Marshall preamp.

Way overpriced though, like all them little amps in the Plexi/JTM style.

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
This is a loud amp. Too loud for many bar gigs if you want to get the amp cooking unless your band plays with a pretty good stage volume and it’s a larger club. Sounds good though.
That’s good. I don’t need 50-100w plexi loud, but there’s different definitions of loud. People say the hdrx20 is “loud” but I’ve cranked it and it’s only moderately loud. People think the deluxe reverb is loud or even the pro jr, but not to me. Sure they all may be loud for many clubs but I’ve found rolling the guitar volume back, turning around the amp, putting things in front all help.

Basically looking for about vibrolux, pro or super reverb loud, don’t want master volume or attenuation.

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
I guess he can play "club" volumes with it, that probably means loud. Well simply put, if you can play that loud i'd go with a real JTM45, because the little 20watter will run out of juice too fast when playing with a rocktype drummy.

What do you mean "brass tacks"?
That’s my fear and the reason why a “real” jtm45 is in the cards, but I have other Marshall heads and the Plex. I’m just looking to see if a smaller compact option can get it done and possibly paired with another smaller amp.

Frodebro

Reaction score
This is a loud amp. Too loud for many bar gigs if you want to get the amp cooking unless your band plays with a pretty good stage volume and it’s a larger club. Sounds good though.

I’m running mine in 4CM with a Fractal FM9, and have found that you can get quite a bit of the cranked character at very reasonable levels simply by raising the volume controls on the amp, then reducing the volume in the loop. It’s not exactly the same sound as just cranking it up, but Fletcher-Munson plays a role here as well.

mike58

Reaction score
Would a 2061x fit the bill? El84 powered lead and bass jumpered niceness?

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
Would a 2061x fit the bill? El84 powered lead and bass jumpered niceness?
I’m not really a fan of el84 amps, except the pro jr which seems to punch way above its weight class. I would just run two pro jrs and a pedal board, but I really don’t like to use much pedals.

GuitarGuruLLC

Reaction score
They're fairly well made, certainly not much room for complaints in that respect. The amp itself to me is a bit of a 'halfway' marker to me; it has the JTM voicing and looks, but the output stage is cathode biased instead of fixed bias (applies to all the Studio amps) and it has a solid state rectifier so none of the sag that you get from the 45.

Non-MV amp, 20W. It's loud. A little less loud on Low power mode, but it's not a bedroom amp out of the box. The weight and size factor are great, of course!

Maybe best look for another amp, then. Same would apply to a JTM45, too.

Totally.

If you're not planning on attenuating you're probably best off looking at an MV amp. The Studio Classic *might* be of interest to you, though obviously it's a JCM, not a JTM. That amp does conversation level to trouser flapping, sans attenuation.
What do you mean it’s a JCM not a JTM?

PelliX

Reaction score
SC20 is a JCM800. 👍🏻

That's what it says on the front panel. :D Frankly, of the Studio amps, it's the only one that really sounds like the bigger brother. Maybe the Jube does, but I don't like the real one either somehow. The SC really incorporates the JCM tones and even the feel to a degree. I find the output stage complements that a bit with the added sustain.

That’s my fear and the reason why a “real” jtm45 is in the cards, but I have other Marshall heads and the Plex. I’m just looking to see if a smaller compact option can get it done and possibly paired with another smaller amp.

Maybe skip the step in between and go straight for a JTM45. I picked up a JTM45 RI from the 90's for about 1K. Built a JohnH M2 attenuator and it's an awesome rig together.

That’s good. I don’t need 50-100w plexi loud, but there’s different definitions of loud.

A 20W amp like the ST20/Studio JTM will be maybe 5dB shy of a 50W 1987. Not really a huge difference.

Basically looking for about vibrolux, pro or super reverb loud, don’t want master volume or attenuation.

If lugging an attenuator around with you puts you off, I can understand that choice. Why no MV, though? If you're gigging smaller clubs you want to be able to control your volume, even more so than in bigger venues where you're relying on the PA, etc. The fuller the venue, the more your highs and upper mids will vanish, etc. Having an MV can yield the required tonal settings independent of the actual volume. I'd be a bit nervous with a JTM45, no attenuator and relying on the amp alone in a smaller club.

JohnnyBandera

Reaction score
That's what it says on the front panel. :D Frankly, of the Studio amps, it's the only one that really sounds like the bigger brother. Maybe the Jube does, but I don't like the real one either somehow. The SC really incorporates the JCM tones and even the feel to a degree. I find the output stage complements that a bit with the added sustain.

Maybe skip the step in between and go straight for a JTM45. I picked up a JTM45 RI from the 90's for about 1K. Built a JohnH M2 attenuator and it's an awesome rig together.

A 20W amp like the ST20/Studio JTM will be maybe 5dB shy of a 50W 1987. Not really a huge difference.

If lugging an attenuator around with you puts you off, I can understand that choice. Why no MV, though? If you're gigging smaller clubs you want to be able to control your volume, even more so than in bigger venues where you're relying on the PA, etc. The fuller the venue, the more your highs and upper mids will vanish, etc. Having an MV can yield the required tonal settings independent of the actual volume. I'd be a bit nervous with a JTM45, no attenuator and relying on the amp alone in a smaller club.

I agree for the most part except for the loudness difference between 1987 50w and the studios. I haven’t cranked the studios, my only base reference is the hdrx20, and to me it’s not in the same ballpark, but that may be a good thing.

As far as master volume, I’ve always been a nmv amp fan. It seems more to me the jtm45 at only 30w and with a baffle or turned around and right speaker/cab combo is the way to go. Also I frequently play biker bars and stuff so there’s a little more leeway with volume.

Last edited:

Latest posts