live 1973 jimmy page marshall tone

• Thread starter 58lespaulmann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

58lespaulmann

Reaction score
dear fellow musicians, Im trying to nail the jimmy page marshall tone from the 1973 song remains the same tour.i know there are a lot of things to consider when trying to nail down a specific tone,but you help will be much appreciated. did he use a 73 marshall? did he use greenbacks? or g12h30`s? does anyone know what stock tubes Marshall used back in 1973/power and pre? dagnall transformers or mercury magnetics? ive listened to how the west was won from 1972 and the song remains the same seams hes got less compression from the marshall`s in `73 and a bit more of an edgy bite. i heard once he used a treble booster for that tour??? (73 tour) thank you:)

tarddoggy

Reaction score
Im interested in the same thing....his tone during "No Quarter" gives me the goosebumps! At the same time though,wasnt he playing outside on How the West Was Won? how much of a differance would this make?

Sean Royle

Reaction score
i know he used several marshall cabs but also orange cabs as well:) if you watch some of the footage u can see the orange amps

58lespaulmann

Reaction score
as far as him playing outside at one of the shows on how the west was won i dont think that would make much of a difference on his his tone direct from the amps?he seems to get the same tone as in the inside show which was a few days apart, same tour. yes he is using orange amps and cabs but this is solely used for the theremin.i know once page went to using marshalls i believe he had 2-`69 heads and a `73 head and didnt mod the amps to 200 watts until the `75 tour.i`d love to hear some good sound clips from `73 other than from the garden.this `73 tone could simply be an equalizer thing-were he eq`d the guitar on mixdown differently for the soundtrack.thank you for your replys -keep `em coming. love that Marshall tone.....

jpage77

Reaction score
Hello, Dont know if anybody will still respond to this but here goes. The Marshall Tubes were KT66s. Besides the Marshall cranked a major key is that in the 70s, amps were running at a lower power voltage from the wall. Just like your home, tvs etc. So running your Vintage marshall now at 120watts from the wall DOES sound different than in the past when they were only drawing 95 to 110 watts. Another element are 2 wire split coil pickups. I can NAIL Jimmys tone from 73-75 with my Les Pauls. Thats another thread though about my guitar wiring etc. I also have a TON of live shows from these tours on cd. Not the store bought kind. Live off the soundboards, audience etc. From great soundboard to Zeppelin stripped to the bone clear. There a ton of other factors of course. Like Jimmys attack on and off the bridge, tone controls, fretting hand grip. It goes on and on and on and on.

13yguitarman

Reaction score
Im sure if you type in jimmy page equipment in search they'll show you everything he's used at certain shows

JVM410Fan

Reaction score
For a "live" sound, I can't imagine the novice listener to really be able to distinguish the difference. If you have an ear for tone, you're going to be your biggest critic. The casual concert/gig go-er won't really notice the difference.

As the previous poster stated, Jimmy Page was all about tone, technique, style, attack, volume, dynamics, and soul. I remember once reading an interview with EVH and he said one magazine writer questioned his live setup insinuating it was "manufactued". It pissed EVH off so he gave his guitar to the writer and told him to play it. It sounded like crap! He gave it back to EVH and EVH smoked him out of the arena.

As the saying goes, "Its the indian, not the arrow".

JVM410Fan

zslane

Reaction score
Exactly right. It's not the gear, it's the talent. Put a crappy $90 guitar in Carlos Santana's hands and it would still sound like Carlos Santana. But give a complete noob his live rig and it would sound like nothing but noise.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy also has his Les Paul Pickups wired Out of Phase
for the rythm switch setting, which is why alot of his rythm
and some lead songs sound so different than most Les Pauls
(almost sounds like a strat at times).

Ajenkins

Reaction score
Hello all,
i have the Marshall vintage modern 2266c.
I noticed someone's settings on an old super lead head, and dialled them in on my V.M.
the tone wasn't quite right for page, but with tweaking I think I have found it.
body:3 detail:7 treble 5,middle 7.5/8 bass 4.5, presence: 7.5/8.
The louder the better! it may sound shit on low volumes, but as the volume gets higher the response to picking and the page tone comes through.
Hope it helps, or if anyone has any more accurate settings to his live sound they would be much appreciated.

thenoodler

Reaction score
Did you try consulting Slash Tone? I hear he is going to do a Jimmy Page Tone tutorial after he posts his Slash tutorial.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Hey all...

Let me know if you dig the tone on these clips... and I'll tell ya what Ive been using...

YouTube - Led Zeppelin The Ocean (Led Zepped tribute)
YouTube - Led Zeppelin No Quarter solo (Led Zepped tribute)
YouTube - Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker (Led Zepped tribute)

Or click the link on my signature to see them all... :fingersx:
All your videos come up as:

youtubeprivate.png

& btw: you don't have a signature...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Is this an isolated track from Jimmy Page? Or is this you, or someone else doing a Jimmy impression?
Someone else...

Jimmy actually plugged the EP-1 into the preamp of his Marshall

LP >> EP-1 >> Marshall

as he did previously into his Hiwatts (but also used a fuzzbox).

I think this guy recorded the track & added the EP-1 after as an example.

Here's his notes:

Uploaded on Dec 10, 2009
Long time no see guys! A very often overlooked and key part of Page's live sound. Used extstensively during the solo of Black Dog, the Bow Solo in Dazed and Confused, The Rain Song, sometimes in the Stairway solo (i.e. HTWWW, Oxford 1973) and most definatley in Moby Dick and Boogie Chillun. For the record, the amp is a JTM45 set up from left to right as follows- 10,0,10,10,6,0.... Top left.
Cheers Guys!

P.S. Sorry for SLOPPY playing as usual

SamPatrickPage

Reaction score
Someone else...

Jimmy actually plugged the EP-1 into the preamp of his Marshall

LP >> EP-1 >> Marshall

as he did previously into his Hiwatts (but also used a fuzzbox).

I think this guy recorded the track & added the EP-1 after as an example.

Here's his notes:

This is my attempt to replicate that Pagey live tone :)

Last edited by a moderator: