• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Locking Tuners Are Great!

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
My 2018 SG came with Grover Lockers.

I tune my Dean V each string to the tuner, and it's 100% spot on. In tune AND intonated 100% perfectly, everywhere on the neck. Unbelievable how perfect it is.

I have to tweak the G, B, and E on the SG. Freakin' Gibson... :rolleyes:
How is the neck dive on your SG with the locking tuners? I have the 2013 50's Tribute with Grovers and it's pretty steady so I don't have a problem with dive. But I've read that others that put locking tuners on their SG was just enough to cause it to dive.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
How is the neck dive on your SG with the locking tuners? I have the 2013 50's Tribute with Grovers and it's pretty steady so I don't have a problem with dive. But I've read that others that put locking tuners on their SG was just enough to cause it to dive.

Don't notice it. I rarely, if ever, just stand there without my hands on the guitar, so neck dive is not even an issue. Never has been. Never paid no mind to it.

We're probably talking another ounce or two in weight. If somebody says this actually makes a difference in neck dive...I mean...please. :rolleyes: :coffee:

Neil S

Reaction score
I have seen some inflatable guitars with pretty bad neck dive.

dptone5

Reaction score
All of my electrics, except my Clapton Strat and Jackson Soloist with a Locking Nut Floyd, have locking tuners. Absolutely love them. My American Deluxe Strats came with them and I added them to Les Paul. Once I got my nut cut correctly and added locking tuners, my LP never goes out of tune. Prior to both changes, it was a nightmare. I never tried to learn how to properly wind strings, so the locking tuner was an easy way for me to achieve excellent results.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Why do you ask ?
Because I like messing with people. It stimulates a bond.
Besides most people take pictures of their hot rod guitars with, well, you know, a hot rod and hot chick or something. So does that thing have a blower and a four point cage?

Again, I am messing with you for fun and camaraderie.
:)

GuitarIV

Reaction score
My 2018 SG came with Grover Lockers.

I tune my Dean V each string to the tuner, and it's 100% spot on. In tune AND intonated 100% perfectly, everywhere on the neck. Unbelievable how perfect it is.

I have to tweak the G, B, and E on the SG. Freakin' Gibson... :rolleyes:

Same with my ESP. All chords are in tune, I have no idea why. It's the Eclipse model, so same specs as a Les Paul. My LP Studio was never in tune perfectly. I think it has something to do with the fact that Gibsons scale isn't exactly 24,75" long? Read something like that online

Is any one else having problems with this forum/site?

Every time I pick a button or something it sits and thinks for two minutes. I have three computers with different setups and they all do the same. I have not problems with other sites or forums.

Forum has been laggy lately, yes

Neil S

Reaction score
I read that too, The shorter scale is worse. A Sweetened tuning is built in to some tuners to try to combat this.

Over here in Australia I could not log on for a while last night.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Because I like messing with people. It stimulates a bond.
Besides most people take pictures of their hot rod guitars with, well, you know, a hot rod and hot chick or something. So does that thing have a blower and a four point cage?

Again, I am messing with you for fun and camaraderie.
:)
1966-ss-396-chevelle-ss-427-chevrolet-1.jpg

Fresh out of hotrods at the moment, but looking for another 66' SS-396 Chevelle if that helps.
I paid $500 bucks for my first one in 1979', these things go for $35K to $75K now.

Last edited:

chromeboy

Reaction score
Locking tuners or string locking method, as with most anything it all comes down to personal preference. Not any different that preferring a les Paul or a strat.

jtees4

Reaction score
I agree with those that say locking tuners are not necessary when strings are installed correctly, and I also use and agree that locking tuners make string changes much quicker and easier....depending on which tuners. Some in fact are slower and more difficult, case in point Gibson G-Force, I had them, they tuned great...I got rid of them because I hated the way the string had to be changed. AND one more point, years ago I was into Steinbergers, I owned three USA Steinbergers at one point. Double ball strings are more money, but talk about quick string changes. You could do all 6 strings in about a minute.