• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Looking for new amp! MG250DFX Vs. MG100DFX

• Thread starter Darin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on these forums and I am looking for a 100 Watt Marshal amp and I came accross these 2. I like the fact that they also have some effects on the amp.

I've looked up some reviews and the reviews for the 250 seem to be better, anyone here try either of these amps?

I mostly play rock and metal with an EMG-81 in my Ibanez. So I am looking for good distortion.

Right now I have a 30 watt marshal and it's not cutting it anymore, I'd like to get a 100watt for some gigs.

Anyways, some feedback would be great guys, thanks :)

Scrap_Iron

Reaction score
Hello Darin,

I got a purple half-stack, the MGHDFX last Dec. It's rated as 100W into 4ohms, but the MG4x12 is a 16Ohm cab so the power is reduced into that. Running into different speaker cabs produced much better tones and was louder.

MG 100W heads are certainly available at very reasonable prices, and pairing one with some good speakers IMHO is a good "giggable" option that still is less than most Marshall tube heads. (Used could be less than $500 for both.)

It's all on what you want to spend. A 40-60W tube combo is hard to find for that little.

Darin

Reaction score
Ok I understand what you mean, the reviews on the 250 are much better than the 100. And having 2 speakers I think would be better, I also think both amps are around the same price?

My 30watt marshal isn't good for playing with a band, usually you can hear the drums over it :s

Scrap_Iron

Reaction score
Usually, 30 Watts Solid State will not be enough to play with a full band. It's possible to have a very efficient, loud speaker but that's not exactly what the MG come with, either combo or cab.

I don't have any experience with the 2x50Watt, but the 100 Watt hafl-stack is certainly loud enough to play with a band. Again, choice of replacement speakers can make a big difference.

I notice that the new MG4 series does not have a 2x50 DFX amp...since they are being discontinued, should be able to pick one up for less than $450. The new 100 watt amps will be either a head, 1x12" or 2x12" in combos. They might be worth trying out because of the many upgrades to the MG4 series---storable channels, programable footswitch, etc.

Happy hunting!

Vintager12

Reaction score
Ok I understand what you mean, the reviews on the 250 are much better than the 100. And having 2 speakers I think would be better, I also think both amps are around the same price?

My 30watt marshal isn't good for playing with a band, usually you can hear the drums over it :s

I think you better get a 30w or 40w all tube amp, the stones had only 30w amps... Why ?......... Because it's FU*KING LOUD ! :naughty:
30w amps are more then enough for giging (especialy solid state amps)

40w tube amps are 3x as loud an 100w mg stack

MG100

Reaction score
Agreed - my MG100 driving an external 2x12 4ohm cab with Vintage 30s is a completely different animal to how it sounds driving its internal speaker (poor tone IMO)

dcooper830

Reaction score
Hello Darin,

I got a purple half-stack, the MGHDFX last Dec. It's rated as 100W into 4ohms, but the MG4x12 is a 16Ohm cab so the power is reduced into that. Running into different speaker cabs produced much better tones and was louder.

MG 100W heads are certainly available at very reasonable prices, and pairing one with some good speakers IMHO is a good "giggable" option that still is less than most Marshall tube heads. (Used could be less than $500 for both.)

It's all on what you want to spend. A 40-60W tube combo is hard to find for that little.

Actually.... I'm pretty sure the MG412 cabs are 8 ohms. Then when you hook two of 'em up to your MG100HDFX head you get a 4 ohm load and your full 100 watts.

But I do want to 2nd your point about getting a MG100HDFX head and using a good speaker cab. I think that would be a better option than a MG combo.

I had a MG100DFX combo that sounded great when plugged it into my 2x12 cab with Vintage 30s.

But it sounded terrible just using it as a combo with the internal speaker.

So I sold it quickly and bought an MG100HDFX head and I'm much happier with that.

Good speakers make a world of difference with those MGs.

So my advice is..... don't mess with the combos. Get an MG head and a good speaker cab from Avatar or Lopoline or Marshall.

javier pintos

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on these forums and I am looking for a 100 Watt Marshal amp and I came accross these 2. I like the fact that they also have some effects on the amp.

I've looked up some reviews and the reviews for the 250 seem to be better, anyone here try either of these amps?

I mostly play rock and metal with an EMG-81 in my Ibanez. So I am looking for good distortion.

Right now I have a 30 watt marshal and it's not cutting it anymore, I'd like to get a 100watt for some gigs.

Anyways, some feedback would be great guys, thanks :)

My commnet would be that yes the 250 will sound better just because it has 2 speakers, but the "natural" sound of the amp is just like the 100DFX, now hauling round the 250 has to be considered since it weights more, young guys would not mind, but i got tired of hauling round my AVT50 for example (which by the way with an extra external celestion is loud enough for a live gig).

One of our guitar players (we are 3 GP) has the MG100HDFX with the 4x12 MG cab, plenty of loudness for a live gig, if you have to move it round for practice you can also just take the head, and get a 1x12 cheap cab with a good speaker in it and have a band practice, just will have to be loud, hey call me nuts if you like, but at a time we had a broken tube amp and we had to practice i had my MG10 plugged to a 4x12 and it was loud enough to practice

If you like you could get the 100w combo replace the speaker with a better one, it becomes your haul round amp, and for live gigs you can get a 4x12 cab, so you still get the 100w and the portability of the combo

Cheers

Darin

Reaction score
So it would be a good idea if I bought the Combo, and replaced the loud speaker correct?

Right now I am looking at Celestion speakers.

javier pintos

Reaction score
i changed my AVT speaker to a celestion V30 and it sounded way better (if you don´t need to, do not get rid of the old speaker), got the external 12" cab, so i could have 2 speakers, the joy only lasted a few months, then i went for the DSL100 and the 4x12, and i´m happy so far, but is seems from the other guys i will keep finding other amps that i will like and eventually purchase

So it all depends on your budget there will be sometime down the road that you´ll maybe want the Head, i still play the AVT at night with the HP since the DSL is not necesarily quiet enough, but hey no harm in having a couple of amps, no one here will critizise you for having more than one amp, and a few of the guys have tube amps, SS, and hybrids and use them for different purposes

Hope i Help

lemansfanatic

Reaction score
I also agree that replacing your speaker would make a difference in the right direction. Just be carefull when choosing the right one. Celestions are good, but you must make sure you know what a 25 Watt Greenback will sound like compared to a 75 watt G12T. Theres quite a big difference when you only have a 1x12 combo. When you have a 4X12 halfstack you have more room to play around with combinations. In my 1X12 Peavey SS combo i chose the 75 Watter because although they arent as smooth as the Greenbacks or V30's, having one speaker means i need all the clarity i could get without breaking up too early in a 90 watt single speaker amp. (Although some breakup is good). Choosing speakers is almost as much fun as choosing a new amp or guitar so have fun and read up about all of them.

Darin

Reaction score
Could someone recommend me a quality celestion 12" in case I decide to upgrade the speaker in the future.

The stock speaker is 100watt RMS.

Also, right now I am not thinking about getting a head/cab. I believe for me a decent combo would be the best idea right now. I am wanting to start a band and maybe do small gigs in the future. Where I would play would not require a cab really...although it would be nice.

My brother played live with my 30watt amp before and just but a mic infront of it and he said it sounded fine for small shows like a club.

A 100watt combo I think would be best for me at the moment, but I will surely think about getting a cab in the future for obvious reasons! :)

Darin

Reaction score
the G12H Looks interesting in the loudspeaker section, would something like this be worth buying over the stock speaker. I mean...would it make a big difference in sound quality? I can't really hear the G12H before I buy it.

Vintager12

Reaction score
the G12H Looks interesting in the loudspeaker section, would something like this be worth buying over the stock speaker. I mean...would it make a big difference in sound quality? I can't really hear the G12H before I buy it.

My friend that's a 30w speaker, you will need 4 of them to handle the amp, but i allready said it and i'll say it again: GET A 30W / 40W ALL TUBE COMBO AMP! IT SOUNDS BETTER, IT IS BETTER, IT'S LOUDER, AND YOU WILL HAVE A LOT MORE FUN OF IT ON STAGE AND AS PRATICE AMP ! IT'S 5x LOUDER THEN THAT MG COMBO, BECAUSE IT'S A TUBE AMP. THE ROLLING STOES PLAYED ON 30W AMPS TOO ALSO LIVE !

LISTEN TO ME, OR NOT BUT YOU WILL COME BACK HERE AND ASK US AGAIN SOON WICH AMP YOU SHOULD GET IF YOU GET AN MG COMBO!

Darin

Reaction score
Tube amps are also pretty expensive, My price range is around 500 / 600.

Also the G12H-100 is a 100watt speaker, it says so right in the specs.

Vintager12

Reaction score
Tube amps are also pretty expensive, My price range is around 500 / 600.

Also the G12H-100 is a 100watt speaker, it says so right in the specs.

500/600 is enough, I'm gonna watch for you...

Darin

Reaction score
What model Marshal tube amp should I be looking at in that price range?

Vintager12

Reaction score
Here is a great amp for you, it's 250$ more but it's a good starter tube amp, it was my furst all tube amp too ! :naughty:
Probably you could get another DSL 401 cheaper.
I had mine for 350 € (around 650 $).

EDIT:

Forgot to insert the link. LOLZ :lol:
Here it is:

Marshall DSL401 40W Combo Amplifier ALL TUBE - eBay (item 160331625248 end time May-05-09 10:32:52 PDT)

If you realy want a Marshall amp, get this, if you don't realy care what brand it is just look around on ebay for tube amp in your price range.

EDIT again:

If you want a good marshall clone get this amp (there is no difference between a real marshall and this) , and look for a cheap 1x12 speaker cab. with a V30 (60W) in it. The only thing is, live you have to mic. it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270369805086

You also could look for an orange tiny terror and the same cab. as the marshall clone needs.

If you choose one of these tomorrow ill send the links where you can buy it cheap.

If you find something yourself show it me before you buy it.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.