looking for new speakers for my cab

• Thread starter epi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

epi

Reaction score
I have a 1959SLP and my cab has G12T-75 and they sound very harsh with my Super Lead, I am also looking for speakers that break up easily. I am looking for speakers from ANYBODY, even small brands! I would go green backs but I would need a 4x12. I CANNOT trade or get rid of my cab, NOR buy a whole new cab, so I am looking for speaker replacement!

12095022_10204298329612614_1527983009496967038_o.jpg

epi

Reaction score
Sounds like you want some greenbacks....

No, not really. Like I said. I want something LIKE greenbacks, but that are 50w+ speakers.

With the characteristics of the Greenbacks ie: early/easy break up.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
No, not really. Like I said. I want something LIKE greenbacks, but that are 50w+ speakers.

With the characteristics of the Greenbacks ie: early/easy break up.

Thats an easy solution, a pair of G12M-65 creambacks.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-is your cab a 2x12?-

-the "MAGIC" of GREENBACKS is there low wattage,..

-there isn't anything out there that will sound "just like a GREENBACK"

-"like" others have said,.. the 65's are the original high powered GREENBACKS,.. CREAMBACKS are nice,.. haven't had the chance to try any LYNCHBACKS but there on my hit list,.. some people "like" WGS green berets,.. almost every speaker maker out there has a GREENBACK copy,..

-if at all possible try as many of the variants as you possibly can-

Geeze

Reaction score
Scumback H-75's are what I use in my cabinet that I take to the amp shows, and everyone really loved them!

+1 for Scumbacks - 55hz cones, 75hz cones, medium, heavy or alnico magnets, 25 watt, 65 watt, 100 watt - you pick what tone/era you want. These speakers nail the classic Celestion tones. If you don't know what you want, Jim is a great guy to help you determine your needs. Definitely get the factory break in. They are currently on sale too.

Russ

dreyn77

Reaction score
so from what you've said, then malmsteen's sound is harsh and doesn't breakup easily.

what trash you talk.

love these people who blame the speaker.

you have the LEAD speaker to match the LEAD amp.
so why you don't like LEAD sound? it's crazy, your idea.

you're probably useing pedals and custom pickups. blame them too.

All you have to do is turn down the guitars tone pot to blend back in with the band.

if you don't wanna do that then don't buy marshall brand, go with celebrity DH brand.

mtm105

Reaction score
sell the ones you've got to put $ towards the ones you need.

I play extremely low volumes. I know nothing of this breakup world you speaketh.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-like-

sell the ones you've got to put $ towards the ones you need.

I play extremely low volumes. I know nothing of this breakup world you speaketh.

keennay

Reaction score
Thats an easy solution, a pair of G12M-65 creambacks.

I don't normally recommend speakers I've neither tested nor heard in person... but if you're so concerned about Greenback wattage then I'd go with the above.

VanR

Reaction score
Pair of Eminence GB128's wired in series for 16 ohms.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I have a 1959SLP and my cab has G12T-75 and they sound very harsh with my Super Lead, I am also looking for speakers that break up easily. I am looking for speakers from ANYBODY, even small brands! I would go green backs but I would need a 4x12. I CANNOT trade or get rid of my cab, NOR buy a whole new cab, so I am looking for speaker replacement!
It's not the speaker.
The reason it sounds harsh is that you are playing it with the volume turned down.

The volume should be on 10.
The loudness is controlled at the speaker, with an attenuator or one of the several methods.

Once you crank it wide open, the output tubes will distort.
Then it will sound right.
The amp is controlled with the guitar volume knob. This is how you play a superlead.

The preamp is clean, until you overdrive the output tubes.
This is the most common misunderstanding about using a Marshall.

Until you re-learn how to use it...you will be frustrated.
And no, speakers will not fix the problem.
But high gain selected preamp tubes will help quite a bit.

What you need is: an attenuator, Marshall power brake or THD hotplate.
Other methods are:
Fluxtone speaker, change output to triode, iso cabinet, speaker emulator, less efficient speakers..etc...

Play amp wide open... output tube distortion,,,use guitar volume control...control loudness with external device...
THAT's how to use it.
No, a master volume does not solve this problem.

If you cannot re-learn how,,,than you need another amp.
Marshall superlead is not for everybody. And it is very misunderstood, but I just explained everything you need to make it sound right.

The best mod for this amp: rewire the preamp in cascade which increases the preamp gain 100%. Then, use it as I explained above.
Then you will get the tone you really want.
Buying speakers: waste of money, won't solve the real issue.

And P.S.
Jumping 2 channels together with patch cord: 20% gain increase, not really enough.
Rewiring preamp to cascade: 100% increase, that's the ticket.
Wiring diagram for preamp mod: see 2204 schematic. It's a minor change...

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I'm selling my ' vintage ' speaker collection after getting hold of a standard 1995 1960b cab with 75's and realising they sound just fine with all of my amps .

EndGame00

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazJ4NC-i_s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazJ4NC-i_s[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPuD8cQSMYg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPuD8cQSMYg[/ame]

Running my Granger with a single Celestion G12-50GL Lynchback