looking into marshall amps....

• Thread starter jd267
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jd267

Reaction score
some may think im nuts but thinking of selling my engl fireball 100 to get into a marshall. I like the marshall tone when boosted with a od pedal but dont really no what road to go down. i had a tsl 100 for a few weeks and from what i remember it did not do it for me. I have owned a tsl 100, a single rec boogie, 5150,randall solid state amps ect . so far my engl is a monster against them. i have herd some jcm 900 clips boosted and it sounded good? what do you guys think ? looking for that black label tone to hatebreed tone . i play alot of metal like killswitch , hatebreed, ozzy, slayer ect. I like fat tones with tons of low end with loads of crunch. so what im asking is what marshall with give me the most brutal full tone?

Adrian R

Reaction score
some may think im nuts but thinking of selling my engl fireball 100 to get into a marshall. I like the marshall tone when boosted with a od pedal but dont really no what road to go down. i had a tsl 100 for a few weeks and from what i remember it did not do it for me. I have owned a tsl 100, a single rec boogie, 5150,randall solid state amps ect . so far my engl is a monster against them. i have herd some jcm 900 clips boosted and it sounded good? what do you guys think ? looking for that black label tone to hatebreed tone . i play alot of metal like killswitch , hatebreed, ozzy, slayer ect. I like fat tones with tons of low end with loads of crunch. so what im asking is what marshall with give me the most brutal full tone?

A boosted JCM 800 2203..or the KK 800 model....

chuckelator

Reaction score
HMM... What you described (especially mentioning KSE) is Mesa territory. But, as far as Marshall goes, I'd say a 2003 (JCM 800, 100w), As Marshalls are really known for their upper mids as opposed to their low end, I'd say put an EQ in front of it as well, so you can really dial in that low-end you're looking for.

jd267

Reaction score
not to impressed with the kk800 seems a bit thin to me. I went threw a lot of amps and ended it with the engl. it nails all heavy stuff but dont have that marshall hatebreed tone. it also killed my mesa also

Adrian R

Reaction score
haaaaa maybee it had old power tubes idk it was at GC. thanks for the welcomes guys.

Dude, seriously, a healthy 2203..especially the *right* one, and they do differ...is a force to be reckoned with. If its healthy..the right tubes, a boost up front, will BURY an Engl...

Their simple circuits allow them to do nothing but produce straight forward VOLUME, and punch...

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
no one here thinks you're nuts. sell it for a JVM410H and be happy;)

if not i havce a Framus i'd consider swapping if you want. white tolex Framus Dragon with pro cobra mod.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
oh and for KSE tone the best amps are Framus cobra and Dragon hence my owning two dragons, one stock and one to cobra specs;):D

some samples of the tones i'm getting are in my sig. right now my track REcertified's the best recording i've gotten so far as i'm new and learning.

jd267

Reaction score
just dont want to regret selling my engl.. it dont need any boost at ALL. but just want to try some thing else i guess

jd267

Reaction score
Dude, seriously, a healthy 2203..especially the *right* one, and they do differ...is a force to be reckoned with. If its healthy..the right tubes, a boost up front, will BURY an Engl...

Their simple circuits allow them to do nothing but produce straight forward VOLUME, and punch...

you ever play out of a fireball 100? what do you mean by the right one?

Adrian R

Reaction score
you ever play out of a fireball 100? what do you mean by the right one?

No, that I will admit, but I have had some experience with one...and they do sound awesome...but their tone, to me anyway, is more convoluted...with big emphasis on the lower frequencies..with tons of gain...

An 800, with its minimal circuit path.. produces less gain, but with incredible mid range frequencies that just CUT through anything..and their loud as hell...wall shaking, concrete floor vibrating (no shit..even the 50w 2204 does)...

What I mean by the *right* one is that unfortunately they do differ. All 800s made in the 1980s sound great, but occasionally you run across one that is just incredible...

An 800 2203 is not going to be quite as versatile as the Engl, but the one thing it does do is BUST ASS better then any! Some of the greatest metal recordings of all time where made with 800s..it is the standard in which all other metal and rock amps are judged.

Another 800 to consider is the 2210. This is a higher gain version of the 2203. Some folks on here prefer this model over the 2203.

All of them though are going to require some kind of decent clean/O.D. boost in the form of a pedal up front to get into the gain regions the Engl can get without a pedal. But, this is where the Marshall really shines..that is by naturally pushing its minimal preamp into overdrive..the voice it produces is difficult to describe with words..However, if I were to use just one word it would be DEFINITION..the tone is utterly clean and intact..but overdriven with killer harmonic distortion...with insane dynamics...especially when the master volume is turned up!

jd267

Reaction score
No, that I will admit, but I have had some experience with one...and they do sound awesome...but their tone, to me anyway, is more convoluted...with big emphasis on the lower frequencies..with tons of gain...

An 800, with its minimal circuit path.. produces less gain, but with incredible mid range frequencies that just CUT through anything..and their loud as hell...wall shaking, concrete floor vibrating (no shit..even the 50w 2204 does)...

What I mean by the *right* one is that unfortunately they do differ. All 800s made in the 1980s sound great, but occasionally you run across one that is just incredible...

An 800 2203 is not going to be quite as versatile as the Engl, but the one thing it does do is BUST ASS better then any! Some of the greatest metal recordings of all time where made with 800s..it is the standard in which all other metal and rock amps are judged.

Another 800 to consider is the 2210. This is a higher gain version of the 2203. Some folks on here prefer this model over the 2203.

All of them though are going to require some kind of decent clean/O.D. boost in the form of a pedal up front to get into the gain regions the Engl can get without a pedal. But, this is where the Marshall really shines..that is by naturally pushing its minimal preamp into overdrive..the voice it produces is difficult to describe with words..However, if I were to use just one word it would be DEFINITION..the tone is utterly clean and intact..but overdriven with killer harmonic distortion...with insane dynamics...especially when the master volume is turned up!
wish i could try one out with a boost.. got a guy that wants my rig but i dont want to make a mistake

quiksilver98

Reaction score
I'd give a JVM410h a try, mine has served me VERY well so far and I also own a JCM800.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
The marshall tone is that low mid crunch with articulation and dynamics that's cuts through the band like butter and doing it with style letting through the musicallity of the instrument.
As a marshall Affectionado for 30 years now i want to suggest to you what i think you are hearing in your head...
a jcm 800...could be either one of the early 80's jcm 2203/4 or a jcm 800 2205/2210.
If you want versatilty and tone try a modern jvm 100 head as mentioned earlier by some of the forum members here also.

WELCOME:wave:

newbies

Reaction score
Just got back from jamming in my mates studio and can't hear a thing thanks to my 2203. They are awesome with a sd1 out front and bone crunching with a wylde overdrive for those black label sounds!!!

If your after a loop look into 2205/2210 or JVM. I have owned a 2203, 2210 & JVM410H I preferred 2203 & 2210 over JVM but sold the 2210 because would have cost too much to fix it up - had a lot more gain on tap than the 2203, JVM is awesome but just too much of what I didn't need. Also remember you can get pretty close to a 800 on the JVM, do you need cleans? Do you work the volume controls on your guitar for cleans (800)? or prefer to just have a clean channel (JVM)?

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Framus Draon I'm trading's a high gain SLO lead, High gain 2203 crunch and AC30 style clean. little higher end than the ENGL but i have two. again if you deside you're interested in trading i'd do it. it can get modern and classic metal tones easily. look Framus Up. i have a white tolexed Dragon V5 top.

i'd need some cash or other trade added on but you would be into the amp i can all but promise that. it's ALL in there.