Lots of guitars or not?

• Thread starter Sg-ocaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I know most guys like to have lots of guitars and thats cool.......very cool in certain collections.
But I know for me Ive never been able to afford to have allot of higher end guitars around. And for me I just have no interest in having a bunch of "affordable" instruments kicking around. Ive had a few nice axes Ive had to sell and regret and a couple I regret selling to fund other guitars that turned out to be a mistake also.
But generally Ive allways stuck to having 2 or 3 electrics I really bond with and an acoustic. Ones that have the sex appeal that makes me want to pick them up and the tone. If I have one I dont LOVE it usually gets the chopping block sooner or later. Right now I have 6 my SG, my Strat, a Takamine Jumbo acoustic(currently under decision to chop)an Epi Junior(prolly cut loose eventually) and 2 sentimental guitars(a partscaster and acoustic) I cant sell...even though I dont play them much. Hell I just sold my old MIJ strat after debating a pickup change.
Back when I had 12 guitars kicking around it was like I had 2 I played everyday and 10 I had to keep cleaning dust off of.
If/when I can afford more good guitars I'd prolly add a Les Paul an Explorer and a Nice Tele to the stash as well as a Taylor Acoustic. But for me I dont really have a lust to own 100 guitars. I dont dream on vintage 50s/60s guitars anymore. So I think an ideal end all collection for me would be An SG, a Stratocaster ,LP , Explorer(cause Allen Collins had one), a Tele and a Taylor.
Anyone else a minimalist?

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 9, but I'm always looking for a good deal on something that I may want to add to the collection.
Do I want a few more? - Yep.
A 100? - nope.
The ones I'd sell aren't worth much, so not much point in that.
I'd like to ad a few more like a good Strat, a Gretsch, perhaps a Rickenbacker, and a better LP (or 2).
I also want to build a few more, the 3 I've made are priceless to me, and probably mostly worthless to anyone else.

kustombob

Reaction score
I am a sucker for a pretty guitar. But I keep my collection down to around 5. I play mostly rock. I keep one axe in drop D' 2 in standard . And one in D. Also have a 12 string and 6 strings acoustic. Its a pain in the ass to keep new strings on some of them. My 12 string has 7 year old strings. Thats how lazy I am.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
I currently have 8 electrics. 2 I rebuilt from very cheap guitars so no point in selling them and they are both good players that I pick up now and then. 1 is a vintage 60s Teisco that is waiting on me getting around to some minor electronics work. And 1 is a nice Player Tele that I've done a lot of work to the frets and upgraded the saddles and nut, but that I don't really play. I'm just waiting for my tele phase to kick in. The other 4 (Strat, Les Paul, Lead III, and Jazzmaster) I play a lot and I'm looking to eventually add maybe 2 more. I'm a relatively new player, and am still figuring out what I like. At this point, I may move a couple along if I add any new ones, but it would be a tough call regarding which to part with.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Luckily I don't suffer from gas much anymore. I never did want to own tons of guitars or vintage ones. I love vintage guitars since I'm an old school rocker kind of guy but can buy new versions of them if I want. High end ones never did anything special for me that more affordable ones didn't do. I actually try to avoid some of them because I do not like Nitro finishes.

I only have 3 guitars now and really have no need for any more since they cover everything I play. I still enjoy looking at all kinds of guitars new and old but just don't feel the need to own them. This day and age I'm definitely a minimalist with everything in life and loving it. :)

lespaul339

Reaction score
I have 9 electric guitars, 6 acoustics, a bass, a mandolin, a banjo, and a cigar box guitar. That's it for my stringed instruments. There's more that I want, but I have a hard time justifying it. Lately, I've been more focussed on getting all the gear I want for my home studio. It makes more sense than buying anther guitar for me.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I currently have 8 electrics and no acoustics. Resale value and snob appeal me little to me. I like 25.5" scale and vintage output humbuckers. Therefore my number 1 is a swamp ash parts strat with a bridge humbucker. Although, I do have an incredible sounding 62 spec strat with vintage output SSS pickups, but it has a compound radius fingerboard and locking tuners. My guitars have to be functional and stay in tune.

My Les Paul has been taken over by my niece and I'm fine with that, although I do like player level Gibson Les Pauls. I would prefer a Gold Top to a flame top. I'm just not going to spend big money on them, and lower cost Epis with hot pickups have no appeal to me. I have an all hog PRS and a mahogany/maple top HH tele that I occasionally use.

Do I want more guitars? You bet, but no acoustics. Cheap acoustics are useless and I'm not going to spend big money on any acoustic. I do need another maple neck guitar as a back up in case I ever gig on a dark stage again.

I'll never go back just one or two guitars. Different horses for different courses.

I don't really collect for the sake of collecting but if I did it would be 80's Charvels. I like 80's Charvels but not with Floyds or Kahlers. They got to have the vintage style trems. I would also probably swap out the Super Ds and JBs for PAF clones.

rick16v

Reaction score
I love owning guitars. Not sure about "high end", I have a decent 2001 Les Paul Standard and an Ibanez Prestige.

My other guitars are a US telecaster, then some japanese, mex, Korean, Indonesian and Chinese guitars.

Most have upgraded components. They are all good guitars in my opinion.

Cost should guarantee QC and higher quality components, but this doesn't mean cheap guitars can't be good.

jmp45

Reaction score
I have quite a few electrics, one acoustic. I'm pretty well set, not interested in picking up another at this time. Through all the years as I picked up a guitar here and there I enjoyed them for that time and occasionally still do as they all have their niche. My issue is that I tend to hold on to them knowing I'd regret if I parted with them. Selling the 59 LP TV to a bud in the early 70s I regret very much. Realistically out of all I have on hand, 6 to 8 get the most played. Maybe I'll thin the herd but not today.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Currently I own 18 electrics, 3 basses and 1 acoustic...

Sometimes I think it's too much, them I start to sell the ones I'm not using a lot. a few years after that I bought several others and the cycle goes on.

Generally I'm always cycling between guitars and tunings, but after I bought the drop pedal I think a new cycle of downsizing is imminent.

sometimes I think about selling a lot of guitars and buying really expensive stuff, but I don't care about price I care about tone and a high value guitar would keep me away from it because I would see it as an asset instead of a musical instrument and I would keep myself from playing to avoid damaging it or depreciating it.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Luckily I don't suffer from gas much anymore. I never did want to own tons of guitars or vintage ones. I love vintage guitars since I'm an old school rocker kind of guy but can buy new versions of them if I want. High end ones never did anything special for me that more affordable ones didn't do. I actually try to avoid some of them because I do not like Nitro finishes.

I only have 3 guitars now and really have no need for any more since they cover everything I play. I still enjoy looking at all kinds of guitars new and old but just don't feel the need to own them. This day and age I'm definitely a minimalist with everything in life and loving it. :)

Why dont you like nitro finishes?

Iron1

Reaction score
Never really understood the 100 guitars thing. I would never play most of them, so then they’re superfluous... unless I was all about collecting and not playing, which I’m not.

I need to have 5, as when I write/record songs I like having dual guitars for complimentary tones (so I have 2-6 strings and 2-7 strings and a 5 string bass). But, right now I have 3-6 strings and 3-7 strings so it’s a little out of hand.

However, I’m trying to sell one of the 7 strings (maybe 2 of them) and one of my 6 strings is a 91 Ibanez 540SLTD that I don’t play much but would kick myself for selling as I wanted one for over 20 years before getting it.

I can see the slippery slope, but thankfully don’t have the room or finances to slide on down. :lol:

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
When I moved to México I took with me one guitar and I bought one bass locally. For 3 months that was all I had and I was fine, a part from changing tunings...

within these 18 guitars there are 2 that I won't sell even if I'm starving and a half dozen that I'll regret deeply if I sell.

I know that I don't need all that stuff, I keep it because it's not making any other dimension of my life worse (space, money, angry wife...) if I need I'll let go a lot of them.

RCM 800

Reaction score
I have a R7 Black beauty I bought used for $1800 nine years ago. Due to inflation I probably couldnt afford to replace it if it disappeared. I have a custom shop strat I inherited from a buddy who passed, no idea on the value of it because fenders SN lookup is lame for CS guitars. I wouldnt part with it anyways unless it was life or death. All the rest of my guitars dont have much value. 2 partscasters I put together from various warmoth and fender parts, 3 Les Paul standard kit guitars I built. One dinky I got for $60 because it had a broken neck at GC clearance, put a cheap import neck on it. This one is my handout guitar for friends that think they might want to play guitar. I have 3 Jackson JS dinkies which are my go to guitars right now, cheap, after setup and some fretwork play great, and have really good sounding pickups from the factory. Then theres the Mexi Tele and a Warmoth Tele, both very cool in their own way. Grandpas Sigma (Japanese Martin), and my Mexi Martin and I think thats all of them that are assembled. On the work bench are my Jackson pro V and Floyd rose Classic Strat from the 90's.

So like 15 guitars. I go thru phases though where I will play mostly strats or pauls or teles etc so I really dont feel I have too many.