Lots of guitars or not?

• Thread starter Sg-ocaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
4 CS Les Pauls, a Trad, a Classic, a couple of Strats, a couple of Teles, a Firebird, an Epi Les Paul that has all Gibson electrics, a "Vintage" SG copy that feels so much like a Gibson to play, I just put all Gibson electrics in it and never bothered with an actual Gibson, an old 70's Fender F-65 Fujigen jumbo acoustic, a Hofner "Macca" bass and an Aria P Bass copy. Not many really and I play them all regularly.
I was cured of "Partscaster disease" a few years ago....kept the best one and parted the other 5 out to other similarly afflicted people. :cool:

full

Old shot of 5 of my Partscasters, I kept the all black one, just an ace guitar with a fantastic sound. The one next to the P Bass is a genuine Fender '94 MIJ Fotoflame

Last edited:

Tibor

Reaction score
Yes, I'm really sorry, I forgot about all the Hindu deities with 200 arms on this forum...

No, I didn't. (I can't. As I said, I used to want another one. And another one. And another one... ) I meant to educate. I meant to make YOU judge by giving you a different perspective. It won't make a difference what I think. As long as people only want to look at a wall with dozens of different guitars, things won't get any better or any different...

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to own around 20 guitars, mainly Gibson custom LP's, a '58 korina Flying V reissue, 900 series Taylors when they were made with Brazilian rosewood and a few Marshalls. My psycho "ex" wife rammed the headstock of my Gibson '58 V into the front of my mint '68 Marshall Plexi, destroying my Plexi, then slamming the body of the V on the ground which destroyed my prized Flying V. She then proceeded to take my Taylor 912 limited edition and destroyed it. She also took a ruby red 5A top LP custom and my '61 reissue SG and destroyed those. All this while I was at work and this was all over someone told her I spent 69 cents...yes, 69 cents on a bean burrito at Taco Bell without me telling her. I now own a Gibson SG standard, Epi LP given to me so my 5 yr old daughter can learn to play and a DSL 40c. I am in the market for a Marshall JMP 2104 to get back some of that magic.
Funny....if you owned a dog or a cat, they would never, ever harm them....but your "stuff" is fair game.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I own more guitars than anyone I 'personally' know.
But at 6, that's probably not saying much.
4 electrics, 1 bass, 1 acoustic.

I sometimes lust for more, but can't reasonably justify getting another (except I have an irrational need to own a Telecaster).

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Yes, I'm really sorry, I forgot about all the Hindu deities with 200 arms on this forum...

No, I didn't. (I can't. As I said, I used to want another one. And another one. And another one... ) I meant to educate. I meant to make YOU judge by giving you a different perspective. It won't make a difference what I think. As long as people only want to look at a wall with dozens of different guitars, things won't get any better or any different...

I do acknowledge your point, and I've been making decisions what gear of mine to sell once this lockdown is over, to reduce overlap to near zero (bar one back up Strat as I've owned the first one for 38 years and don't want to risk it being stolen or lost when we start gigging again). I'm not hypocritical enough to suggest that makes me a better person though...just that I realised I don't need so many guitars taking up space when they do similar things.

Focusing on fewer guitars might help me become a better player too, though for me some variation in neck profile, scale length helps relieve some hand issues I have. So some mix of guitars is useful to me rather than the other option to stop playing for a few days to let my hand recover.

However, I do note that you say that you 'used to want another one. And another one.' so really you've already been 'guilty' of buying stuff you didn't need and adding to the problem. Just that now you've got a conscience and want everyone else to follow your lead? The guys who say they've only had one guitar for years (and there are some on this thread) have a higher moral ground than you or I really...

In a way I do agree with the point about buying 20 Les Pauls/Strats/Teles in different colours, especially if not a gigging player who needs some (not 20!!) backup guitars. However, if you've already bought them, the wood, etc and resources have already been used. Selling them on won't necessarily stop someone else from buying a new guitar in preference to your old one either.

Forums tend to exacerbate the desire to buy more things too; I see it on AV forums too, as well as various guitar forums I'm on. It's the nature of the beast, so I don't think there will be much traction for trying to get people to stop buying so many, beyond your initial question of lots or guitars or not.

Tibor

Reaction score
I did admit to always want more than what I had. But I never owned more than 6 guitars (3 acoustics, 3 electrics), 4 amps and 4 4x12s in my entire life. Call that variety if you will. I have no intensions to lead or save the world. We know well where the last person who tried ended up... It's not about who's wrong, who's right, and the very least about my conscious. I had had conscious before. I just didn't look any further than what I wanted so I didn't see what was all behind it. But now I wish there was someone who pointed it out to me. And yes, the person who bought my stuff will not buy a new one of that same item. So there's some resources saved there. And as they say in Jamaica: "Every mikkle make a mukkle".

When I sold half of my stuff was when I realised I don't need all this to enjoy music. You don't need to sound exactly like Hendrix, Vai, Slash, etc. to have fun. Learn how to make work what you have. Little Wing may not sound the same with humbuckers but it won't sound any less beautiful, so it makes no difference.

I doubt many people realise that these forums are not designed to give you information or find sth interesting about sth we all love. Instead, it uses that desire to make you want more and to make you buy more (same as Facebook,.Instagram, etc.) Some "random" person writes an article about: Show me your burst, How many guitar is still not enough?, How many distortion pedals do you own? Manipulation at it's best...

I don't think I will change that many people. Let me quote Family Guy: "we've had a good weekend and changed zero minds". So far, 3 people responded. Let me sum it up: I'm wrong, there are people who can play 100 guitars at once and my "recently found" conscious is not enough to talk about stuff that everyone's just talking about instead of doing sth about it. It's not all roses... Anyway!

I believe, all I did was I shared an experience. People can take it to heart or anywhere else they feel it may fit. Please, let me finish with a quote and I'm out:

"Don't damn me when I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
I put the pen to the paper
'Cause it's all a part of me"

PS: I also have issues with my left hand. It simply can't take as much as it used to. What helped me (well, helps to keep it at bay) is a thin neck, playing 1 day and next day off, and not playing more than 1.5 hours per session. (I hope I don't need to feel bad again about trying to help and/or sharing an experience...)