• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Love vintage Marshalls, not into the newer amps

• Thread starter andylaughs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcmjmp

Reaction score

A+ bro! See just help the other lads learn.

Oh and too old, was never into those bands or songs. I'm from a different era.

What got me into playing guitar was Albert Collins tho. Him and Randy Rhoads. Huge fan of Jeff Beck these days. I've been listening to Truth almost every day there days. Do you know what JB used back in those days?

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
What got me into playing guitar was Albert Collins tho. Him and Randy Rhoads. Huge fan of Jeff Beck these days. I've been listening to Truth almost every day there days. Do you know what JB used back in those days?

You know he used an AC-30 up until 1967, may be that 68 or 69 is when he switch to the 50 watt Marshall I really don't know for sure. But he was playing one of two Les Pauls then, the that looked in the finish had been stripped of the top & the red sunburst one. Sorry mate not a whole lots of info. My earliest real taking to Beck was on Rough & Ready the song "Situation" is great. Hey I just saw some footage a of Beck at the Filmore east in 1968. he was using two full stacks; looks like small box 50 watters and that tore up LP.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
You know he used an AC-30 up until 1967, may be that 68 or 69 is when he switch to the 50 watt Marshall I really don't know for sure. But he was playing one of two Les Pauls then, the that looked in the finish had been stripped of the top & the red sunburst one. Sorry mate not a whole lots of info. My earliest real taking to Beck was on Rough & Ready the song "Situation" is great.

Now that you mention it, the intro riff on "Let me love you" (Truth - 1968) does sound a little voxy.

Was the 50w Marshall he used early on the JMP 50?

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) I love watching techs collide because fountains of information always issue forth from the arguments EXCEPT for one thing I GOTTA KNOW:

Exactly HOW fast does shit go through a Goose anyways?

:lol::lol: TWIN

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
Bogner XTC 101b is what a Marshall should have sounded like. I tried out a JVM today, and recently tried a DSL and a few others. Have owned a 2203 and am in the process of building a 1959 SLP. The modern Marshalls are terrible. They feel okay, but they're processed and fake sounding; nothing like the older amps.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Bogner XTC 101b is what a Marshall should have sounded like. I tried out a JVM today, and recently tried a DSL and a few others. Have owned a 2203 and am in the process of building a 1959 SLP. The modern Marshalls are terrible. They feel okay, but they're processed and fake sounding; nothing like the older amps.

:lol:

6StringMoFo

Reaction score

Fake sounding? The DSL has a FULL tube signal path! My DSL sounds absolutly killer, and the best part is I can dial it in to sound old and un-"MODERN"

Ken

Reaction score

A DSL isn't like the older amps, correct. If I'm in a Led Zeppelin tribute band, I want a 1959 SL. if I'm playing modern metal I want a DSL. Let me guess: you want to sound like Slash?

Ken

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
Fake sounding? The DSL has a FULL tube signal path! My DSL sounds absolutly killer, and the best part is I can dial it in to sound old and un-"MODERN"
Yes, fake sounding. And if you like the way it sounds, great, but when I plug into a new Marshall, I hear a compressed, constipated, unpleasant tone that pales in comparison to what Marshalls used to be.

Here's the 101b:
http://www.netmusicians.org/files/62-HC Gil Jam.mp3

You obviously don't agree with me, so give me an example of where you think the DSL shines through!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
A DSL isn't like the older amps, correct. If I'm in a Led Zeppelin tribute band, I want a 1959 SL. if I'm playing modern metal I want a DSL. Let me guess: you want to sound like Slash?

Ken
Well first off, who doesn't want to sound like Slash at one point or another?!

Maybe I went to far to say the new amps are terrible, but on the other hand, to say a DSL sounds the best for anything is seriously misguided. Nothing can ever replace a classic Marshall, but there are scores of amps on the market nowadays that do the same thing as the JVM or DSL that sound far better.

Here's another point. Why is it that the JVM410 costs the same amount as the PCB 1959 SLP reissue? There's far more circuitry in the JVM, and since both are PCB, my logic would assume the JVM requires more work too, leaving quality as the remaining factor.

Ken

Reaction score
Well first off, who doesn't want to sound like Slash at one point or another?!.

Me. I prefer to sound like me, and my band doesn't do any covers so I have no need to be a second rate Slash. Everyone else has THAT market already covered judging by everyone asking how to sound like Slash!

Maybe I went to far to say the new amps are terrible, but on the other hand, to say a DSL sounds the best for anything is seriously misguided. Nothing can ever replace a classic Marshall, but there are scores of amps on the market nowadays that do the same thing as the JVM or DSL that sound far better. .

You miss the point of the high gain Marshalls. It's not to REPLACE a classic Marshall; it's to play a different style of music! As I said before, if I'm covering Zeppelin I should have a 1959 or some such amp. My tunes need a LOT more gain to be played properly, so I have a DSL. Other amps are better? Who knows. DSL's are great amps and mine suits me so that's what I use.

Ken

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well first off, who doesn't want to sound like Slash at one point or another?!

Maybe I went to far to say the new amps are terrible, but on the other hand, to say a DSL sounds the best for anything is seriously misguided. Nothing can ever replace a classic Marshall, but there are scores of amps on the market nowadays that do the same thing as the JVM or DSL that sound far better.

Here's another point. Why is it that the JVM410 costs the same amount as the PCB 1959 SLP reissue? There's far more circuitry in the JVM, and since both are PCB, my logic would assume the JVM requires more work too, leaving quality as the remaining factor.

I prefer a plexi. Especially the open dynamic tone they have. Put a pedal to them and they still sound stellar.

I still enjoy playing my DSL though. I have to admit that mine has been made to sound more vintage. Thats my taste in action though and not a result of needing a particular amp to do certain tunes in a band. A DSL can cover alot of ground thanks to the crunch channel be'n used as a more classic rock channel. The red channels can handle the gainier stuff and take pedals well for even modern gain requirements. Pretty useful amp.:dude:

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
Me. I prefer to sound like me, and my band doesn't do any covers so I have no need to be a second rate Slash. Everyone else has THAT market already covered judging by everyone asking how to sound like Slash!
Guess I kind of assumed the whole "tone is in the fingers" deal here. I meant his amp sound and feel, not his entire playing style.
You miss the point of the high gain Marshalls. It's not to REPLACE a classic Marshall; it's to play a different style of music! As I said before, if I'm covering Zeppelin I should have a 1959 or some such amp. My tunes need a LOT more gain to be played properly, so I have a DSL. Other amps are better? Who knows. DSL's are great amps and mine suits me so that's what I use.

Ken
I'm not missing any points. Of course they're for different styles. I was saying it's very unlikely that a new amp will do the classic Marshall tone better than an old Marshall. They're one of a kind, and though not swiss army knives of amps, they do what they do extremely well.

Look, if the DSL suits you, that's all that matters; I can accept that (not that my stamp of approval should mean anything). But if you've never played on a Bogner, Splawn, Marsha, Fortin, etc., you at the same time wouldn't know what you were missing. I own a 101b and have extensively used a DSL, and by every measurement, the 101b is better. In my opinion of course. Then again, the amp world is usually a place where you get what you pay for, and you just can't get that much high quality iron for $900 (or whatever they sold for).

Last edited:

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
you miss the point of the high gain marshalls. It's not to replace a classic marshall; it's to play a different style of music! As i said before, if i'm covering zeppelin i should have a 1959 or some such amp. My tunes need a lot more gain to be played properly, so i have a dsl. Other amps are better? Who knows. Dsl's are great amps and mine suits me so that's what i use.

Ken

+10000000

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
20 years from now, People will be saying the same things about modern Marshalls that some of you are saying now about the classic Marshalls.

Their all great amps, If there was one ultimate amp, a) we'd all sound the same. b) there would be no need for other models.

For the record the DSL is the best selling Marshall of all time and if you do not use the deep switch, it's tone will cut right thru the mix :)

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
20 years from now, People will be saying the same things about modern Marshalls that some of you are saying now about the classic Marshalls.

For the record the DSL is the best selling Marshall of all time and if you do not use the deep switch, it's tone will cut right thru the mix :)

Bull butter & Monkey Muffins! It same thing as a Stradivarius, they can make a violin out of carbon graphite & put LED’s on it now; but the old original (Stradivarius) is still the sweetest sounding most sought after and most cherished for its tone out of all still!

Also do you realize that the Model 1959 100 watt head has been made from 1966 – 1991 do you realize that’s 25 years, plus the re-issues and that you believe that the DSL is the best selling Marshall ever!

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
Bull butter & Monkey Muffins! It same thing as a Stradivarius, they can make a violin out of carbon graphite & put LED’s on it now; but the old original (Stradivarius) is still the sweetest sounding most sought after and most cherished for its tone out of all still!

Also do you realize that the Model 1959 100 watt head has been made from 1966 – 1991 do you realize that’s 25 years, plus the re-issues and that you believe that the DSL is the best selling Marshall ever!

I think it'd be fun jamming with you Major, seriously! My (modern) DSL mixed with your (vintage) 1968 model 1987!

We'd have the biggest guitar sound on the planet, tho we'd prolly be the death of quite a few drummers :D

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I think it'd be fun jamming with you Major, seriously! My (modern) DSL mixed with your (vintage) 1968 model 1987!

We'd have the biggest guitar sound on the planet, tho we'd prolly be the death of quite a few drummers :D

Absolutely Mate! Lets plug in and burn their bloody ears off!

Cheers Bro!

Latest posts