Low Tech Origin FX Loop Solution...

ronmail65

Reaction score
I already did some searches on this topic, but didn't find a specific solution. I know the FX loop default setting is 'off' and the amp requires the footswitch to turn it on.

I saw someone make the following comment in an older thread.... " ...you could probably build a dummy plug to act as the footswitch (probably just a TRS plug with either ring and shield or tip and shield shorted) and keep the FX loop engaged..."

I have to believe this type of solution would work. Did anybody happen to crack the code on exactly what type of plug is needed in the footswitch jack on the Origin 20W head so that the FX loop is always 'on'?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I already did some searches on this topic, but didn't find a specific solution. I know the FX loop default setting is 'off' and the amp requires the footswitch to turn it on.

I saw someone make the following comment in an older thread.... " ...you could probably build a dummy plug to act as the footswitch (probably just a TRS plug with either ring and shield or tip and shield shorted) and keep the FX loop engaged..."

I have to believe this type of solution would work. Did anybody happen to crack the code on exactly what type of plug is needed in the footswitch jack on the Origin 20W head so that the FX loop is always 'on'?
It would depend on the type of switching being used. Is the footswitch mechanical (footswitch makes a clicking sound) when turning on and off, or is it electronic (footswitch is silent) when turning on and off. If it's mechanical, then yes you should be able to force the loop to the "On" position with the right type of 1/4" plug (possibly needing a jumper on the plug). If it's electronic, it gets a little more involved. A schematic would be helpful in this particular case.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Whats wrong with using the footswitch the amp comes with and just leave the effects loop on all the time?

ronmail65

Reaction score
It would depend on the type of switching being used, Is the footswitch mechanical (footswitch makes a clicking sound) when turning on and off, or is it electronic (footswitch is silent) when turning on and off. If it's mechanical, then yes you should be able to force the loop to the "On" position with the right type of 1/4" plug (possibly needing a jumper on the plug). If it's electronic, it gets a little more involved. A schematic would be helpful in this particular case.

I think it's mechanical... not sure

ronmail65

Reaction score
Whats wrong with using the footswitch the amp comes with and just leave the effects loop on all the time?

It's one less piece of equipment that I need to bring along or concern myself with. If the solution is $5 or $10 switched 1/4 plug that I can plug in and forget about - then I would prefer to go that route.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's mechanical... not sure
Check it with a meter.
If it maintains a circuit when on, you could do the plug short.
If it's a momentary switch, you'll just have to get used to hitting the button when you turn the amp on.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I'm not pulling my pedal off the board and opening it up but it's definitely sounds and operates like a mechanical latching switch. No testing is even needed really.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
The Marshall PEDL-90016 is a 2-way latching footswitch. What's interesting is that Marshall describes the 1st switch as enabling the user to activate the boost circuit, but the 2nd switch as enabling the user to bypass the FX loop. Reading their description, I interpret that to mean that the FX loop is on by default, but can be bypassed with the switch.

"PEDL-90016 - marshall.com" https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/footswitches/pedl-90016

ronmail65

Reaction score
The Marshall PEDL-90016 is a 2-way latching footswitch. What's interesting is that Marshall describes the 1st switch as enabling the user to activate the boost circuit, but the 2nd switch as enabling the user to bypass the FX loop. Reading their description, I interpret that to mean that the FX loop is on by default, but can be bypassed with the switch.

"PEDL-90016 - marshall.com" https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/footswitches/pedl-90016

That's interesting. Marshall definitely has it incorrectly stated on their website. The default value on the Loop is 'bypass' or 'off' - that is true if the footswitch is not plugged in, and when it is plugged in but the switch is not engaged (an unlit LED). I've encountered this on more than one Origin model and I've seen several people create threads about it because they automatically assume the Loop is not working (ie, they assume the default is 'on').

I'm not an electronics guy or 'solder-enabled'... but I see various latching switches and push buttons on the internet and 1/4" male stereo plugs. I'm kind of surprised that nobody has thought to combine these into a single plug-in unit. I can think of many times I would have used something like this on many amps and various recording gear. I don't think I'm that innovative - it must be a big deal to create a one-piece unit like this.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, not that I want to do this, but I was curious and decided to test this out.

I have a 2018 Origin20H and this is what it does:
1. turn on with no footswitch plugged in - no loop, no boost.
2. turn on with footswitch plugged in - footswitch remembers previous loop/boost setting
3. turn on with a 1/4 to 1/8 stereo adapter in fs jack and both loop & boost are on.
4. short tip and loop turns off / short middle and boost turns off.

If you want both loop and boost on without a footswitch, buy one of these:
no wiring required, just plug it in.
upload_2021-1-17_20-7-5.png

If you want one or the other off, buy a 1/4" solder stereo jack and short as you want.
Or cut the cord off an old headphone set and figure out what wires to connect.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

See previous post, and I just thought of something else.
I havn't tested this but, I think if you plug a mono jack in, it would short the boost and keep the loop on.
So there's another option that requires no soldering - plug and play.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
Nice, I can leave all the goodies in the white accessories box sealed in plastic. When I get my 1987X, and sell the ORI50H it might bring a couple more dollars .

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
Oh yeah, thanks for doing the homework on this. I was going to try the same, but never got around to it. It seems I'm always too busy practicing different scales and their accompanying diatonic chord progressions.

ronmail65

Reaction score
See previous post, and I just thought of something else.
I havn't tested this but, I think if you plug a mono jack in, it would short the boost and keep the loop on.
So there's another option that requires no soldering - plug and play.

Thank you very much!! I'm going to be testing this and will report back. This will be great!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently my second idea does not work.
I tried a mono pedal patch cable in the fs jack and got no loop or boost.
The stereo jack is good to turn on both and short to turn off either as described.
Thank you very much!! I'm going to be testing this and will report back. This will be great!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used this style mono jack in my head switcher build for the DSL1H/G15MS.
The jack has 2 sides that complete a circuit when a plug is inserted.
That makes sense when the stereo adapter is used, it completes the circuit to turn on the loop & boost.
The pedal switches must be the "short" that turns them back off when plugged in.
No clue why the mono jack does not work to connect the loop on the tip and short the boost.
I haven't pulled the chassis to confirm my observations, so it all just trial & error & guessing at this point by me.

ronmail65

Reaction score
That's fine. At least there's a physical way to turn the boost off / on that is on the amp itself. It's those features that are 'footswitchable' only that tend to give me grief.

I have a similar issue with Splawn amps that use latching stereo cable footswitches. Some models have great features such as an overdrive boost switch (OD1 / OD2) or a Mode switch (to change tonal voicing) that are not accessible on the amp itself. I would want to default one or both of these features as 'on' for an extended period with having to use or bring along the footswtich. I'll be trying the same trick with that amp too.