Man there is some expensive stuff in...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts. If I add it up, honestly and adjust for inflation, I have undoubtedly spent well over $120k on gear, over the course of 46 years. Most of that was made doing something other than music. It was all worth it. I could have wasted the money on golf, women or fast cars, but it wouldn't have been nearly so fulfilling or enduring. A few years ago, an old friend came to visit from L.A. Knowing that it might be my last chance to repay a long held debt, I wangled a reservation at well known Sonoma restaurant and dropped a month's pay on the best dinner ever. Just the memory makes my mouth water. For that depth of Dionysian ecstasy, the price is insignificant. When I recounted the occasion for my workmates, they were universally reproachful, until I asked, "So, how long do you think you'll remember what you had for dinner Friday night?" Should a certain ES-335 become available while I still have most of my faculties, I may spend something closer to a years income and it has nothing to do with greed or excess. The heart wants what the heart wants. When we can benignly indulge our deepest desires, our hearts warm and soften and surely, that cannot be a bad thing.
;>)/

Metroman

Reaction score
In 1971 I could have bought a Full Marshall 100 Watt Stack for $1200 USD.

The Cost for this same item adjusted for todays times is $7,035.05 USD.

So if I go out and buy a Metro GMP45/100 with 2 x 4 x 12 cabinets its no more expensive when comparing to 1971 Prices. You could even load the cabinets with some original 1972 Pulsonic coned Celestion G12M with 25 watt 75hz cones.

Or I could buy the no longer in production Jimi Hendrix Hand Wired Limited Edition Marshall that was copied off of the Hendrix/Dickinson amp. Id get the Metro but the Marshall JHHW is Cheaper than the Metro and the Marshall JHHW Im sure has a bit of collector value also.

Stratocasters comparatively Are several hundred dollars More expensive Today than in 1971.
Unless you go by list price. Then its close.

But if you compare a New Les Paul Traditional to 1971 Les Paul Prices they are about the same.

You didn't have all the different "Models" then that you do now. A Les Paul was a Les Paul. Strat was a Strat. Tele Tele. ES335 was ES335 ect.

I consider the AVRI Series ..The Stratocaster. For Modern Strats when I think Strat that's where my mind goes to.

But if I were to get a Les Paul with Gibson on the Headstock I reckon my choice would be an Historic Model.

I like FAT necks too. Vintage Relic made me a .92-1.02. Very Fat and Vintage Small Frets.

You cant get Vintage Small 6230 Frets from Gibson yet that is what they used up until mid-late 59. VR will put any fret you want.

But if you start getting Royalite Binding, Hot Hide Glue construction, Alinine Dyes ect. Of course they are going to be Much more expensive. Like an Historic. And they don't use Brazilian Rosewood or Honduran Mahogany.

I got a Custom Color Olympic White 4 bolt Strat new in 71 for $279.65 including case.

It listed for $400.00 Which is $2350 today. I got mine for what would $1649 today. $279.65 is what it cost then.

A Les Paul was $500. SG Custom with Bigsby and 3 pickups was $565.00 That's $3000 dollars.

And if you consider Gibson uses Real Royalite Binding on their higher end guitars the price also goes up as its not cheap to come by and more time consuming to work with.

And Im not a Gibson guy either. I like old 50's early 60 Les Pauls and 60's SG's. ES335 and ES175 ect.

But for a Strat, Tele or Les Paul type guitar a Small Builder is for me the way to go. More attention for the money.

I cant imagine a better playing guitar than what Vintage Relic built for me. I would change 0000000000.

I myself wont buy another name brand guitar again. And I do have a couple. My original 4 bolt Strat form 71. Early 82 Fullerton 62 Reissue with Red Bobbin Pickups.

But for a bolt on guitar USA Custom Guitars bodies and Necks for me.

But my 1st Partscaster does have an Original 82 Fullerton 57 Reissue Body. I love those bodies. I will send 1 of these bodies to USA Custom Guitars to copy for my Next Partscaster. Tommys bodies at USACG are exact copies of his 54 Strat and 53 Blackguard

I already sent them my 71 4 bolt Strat neck to copy plus a 100+ years old Flame Maple Blank for a 1 piece neck.. Next to send is my Fullerton reissue Strat body.
I can get all of my preferred electronics ect and then send it to Glaser Instruments in Nashville for Complete Setup x Plek and Assembly. I used original 65 x 66 Strat Pups in my partscaster and Illitch Noise Reduction.

But this is Not a cheap option. But $2000 gets you modern electronics and a Plek and assembly at Glasers.

But when you get into set neck guitars its 100% different and there are also Many ways to construct them. Most arent equal to 50's construction..

I had Vinatge Relic make a 59 Les Paul copy out of Old Growth Honduran Mahogany, Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood and Maple. Also Holly Headstock Veneer. Also sent to Glaser for Plek. It took 8 months for this guitar to be built. Ive got $2700 in the Body/Neck Finish ect. Another $2100 in electronics, Hardware, Plastic and Set Up x Plek.

It could have been done for Much cheaper as I bought Really Expensive parts. Especially Plastic. I know this makes it sound 000%%%% Better. I also wanted As close to original 59 as possible. Also all Unaged 100% new. I had to wait a month and a half for Historic Makeovers to get Unaged V/T knobs, Truss Rod Cover, Switch Tip, R/T Ring. They make only Small batches and are Usually Aged.

I wanted 000 Aging/Relicing.

This $2700 does not include Electronics, Plastic or Hardware. I got hardware ect from

Vintage Relic, Tom Holmes Pickups, Historic Makeovers x MojoAxe Plastic, Pigtail Bridge Assembly. Gotoh SD510 Locking Tulip Gears. Earvana Nut. NOS .015 x .022 Bumblebee caps. Throbak M69 Rings.

Set up x Plek at Glaser Instruments in Nashville.

The construction methods are different on guitars like this Trussrods/Neck Tenons being 2. Hot Hide Glue. Many Small Builders like Vintage Relic, can even use Old Growth Wood that is era correct for a Les Paul. Era Correct finishes. Original aniline dyes and nitro with No UV protectant.

Each time they cut a board/wood they let it rest 3-4 days before making another cut on said board so it can acclimate to its new dimensions/tension. This is a Common construction method used on Acoustic guitars and makes for a More Stable guitar.

It will be hard to convince me that allowing time for the wood to reorient after being cut doesn't make a difference in stability.

So time is money as is attention to detail. The guys that made my guitar sent me at least 50-60 photos of the build from every stage. The finish being the slowest part as the guy didn't have a good camera. They send the guitar out to their finish guy.

They even sent pics of the wood they would use for my guitar and estimated the weight of the guitar by the Llbs x bd/ft.... Which they estimated right on at 8.2lbs. Nonweight relieved.

I believe Almost Every Gibson Les Paul since the early 80's is weight relieved. Notice I said Almost as I believe the Historics and R series are Not WR'd.

All others except the New and 2013 Traditionals aren't.

But a lot of people spend big bucks to have Historics and R series gone over at Historic Makeovers for Another $4000 !!!!.

But I believe in the long run that the construction of the Higher End Old Construction method guitars will wear and tear better than Modern Construction methods.

Considering inflation and how expensive older materials are, including more time consuming to construct, I think that $4000 dollars in Not an Expensive guitar any more than a $500 dollar les Paul was in 71. And the 71 Les Paul didn't use the construction methods of OLD 50's either. They would have been even More expensive had they used Long Tenon Neck, Hide Glue ect, and the same construction as in the 50's and 1960.

So you could probably add another $150-$200 even for back then if it was true to the originals.

So you can probably guess at about $750 dollars back then.
Which would be $4400 USD today.

Sometimes you just have to pay for what you want.

All I really want is something as close to an Original 59 Les Paul as I can get. Nothing more nothing less. No split coils ect.

Just like I want my amps.

I like a JTM45 so I got a Limited Edition Metropoulos GMP45 with all NOS glass. Its about as close to an original as Im ever going to get. And its so good I cant ever see me getting rid of it unless it s just fries out ect. I wanted a Simple High Quality Circuit free of anything. So the GMP45 was a good start.

I paid huge bucks just for the tubes and the amp was even more expensive, but I wanted this amp and got it and am so happy with it I wish I had 2 more of them. But IM going to get the Metro GMP45/100 Limited Edtion. But not anytime soon.

I am going to have Vintage Relic build me another Les Paul next year. I have another set of Tom Holmes Pickups waiting and they need a guitar to put them in

But I figure that the tubes will probably last 20+ years and I wont have to be continually fighting with them. And they are Much more quiet/quieter?? than any modern tubes ive tried.

But I don't think $4000-$5000- dollars for a guitar or amp is overpriced. You just have to get what you want. If youre happy with what you have. All is good.

Some may want the Gibson on the headstock and go with the expensive Gibson. I cant fault people for wanting what they want.
All I care about is that it is a stable platform that has correct Intonation. 50's Gibsons were built like Tanks excluding the headstocks. But that's just the angle.

I would also add that a guitar set up and Pleked at Glasers Will play better than almost anything available. Regardless of who makes the guitar.

Also Gibsons Plek Jobs don't represent what a Great Plek job can do.

Frodebro

Reaction score
When I was a kid my parents bought me the best guitar they could afford.

When I was in high school my summer jobs bought me the best guitar I could afford.

When I was gigging and selling guitars at Daddy's I bought the best guitar I could afford.

When I started my own law firm I bought the best guitar I could afford.

In two years when I hit 50, I will buy the best guitar I can afford.

It's really not hard to figure this one out.

If the best you can afford is better than the best I can afford, then F**K YOU, YOU SNOB!!!!! :lol:

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
_^ ha exactly. It's all about being happy folks. It is ironic though that I gave up a life of music in order to afford a life of music. Most people that can afford 4k guitars made a lot of hard choices along the way to get there. I think Biddlin got it right. Living sensibly allows you to splurge every now and then...it's what makes it worthwhile. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend money.

Frodebro

Reaction score
_^ ha exactly. It's all about being happy folks. It is ironic though that I gave up a life of music in order to afford a life of music. Most people that can afford 4k guitars made a lot of hard choices along the way to get there. I think Biddlin got it right. Living sensibly allows you to splurge every now and then...it's what makes it worthwhile. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend money.

I know exactly what you mean about giving up the music in order to get the music. I could never afford the stuff I have now if I were trying to pay for it with gigs and such, and my day job, which allows me to have some nice stuff, doesn't allow for gigging because of the hours that I work. :mad:

wallythacker

Reaction score
I hope the prices continue into the stratosphere.

Really, where I live a normal SFR is now $700,000. And that gets you a bungalow.

I have no qualms charging someone $4-5k, hell, even $10k for one of my vintage Marshalls.

shredless

Reaction score
In 1971 I could have bought a Full Marshall 100 Watt Stack for $1200 USD.

The Cost for this same item adjusted for todays times is $7,035.05 USD.

So if I go out and buy a Metro GMP45/100 with 2 x 4 x 12 cabinets its no more expensive when comparing to 1971 Prices. You could even load the cabinets with some original 1972 Pulsonic coned Celestion G12M with 25 watt 75hz cones.

Or I could buy the no longer in production Jimi Hendrix Hand Wired Limited Edition Marshall that was copied off of the Hendrix/Dickinson amp. Id get the Metro but the Marshall JHHW is Cheaper than the Metro and the Marshall JHHW Im sure has a bit of collector value also.

Stratocasters comparatively Are several hundred dollars More expensive Today than in 1971.

But if you compare a New Les Paul Traditional to 1971 Les Paul Prices they are about the same.

You didn't have all the different "Models" then that you do now. A Les Paul was a Les Paul. Strat was a Strat. Tele Tele. ES335 was ES335 ect.

I consider the AVRI Series ..The Stratocaster. For Modern Strats when I think Strat that's where my mind goes to.

But if I were to get a Les Paul with Gibson on the Headstock I reckon my choice would be an Historic Model.

I like FAT necks too. Vintage Relic made me a .92-1.02. Very Fat and Vintage Small Frets.

You cant get Vintage Small 6230 Frets from Gibson yet that is what they used up until mid-late 59. VR will put any fret you want.

But if you start getting Royalite Binding, Hot Hide Glue construction, Alinine Dyes ect. Of course they are going to be Much more expensive. Like an Historic. And they don't use Brazilian Rosewood or Honduran Mahogany.

I got a Custom Color Olympic White 4 bolt Strat new in 71 for $279.65 including case.

It listed for $400.00 Which is $2350 today. I got mine for what would $1649 today. $279.65 is what it cost then.

A Les Paul was $500. SG Custom with Bigsby and 3 pickups was $565.00 That's $3000 dollars.

And if you consider Gibson uses Real Royalite Binding on their higher end guitars the price also goes up as its not cheap to come by and more time consuming to work with.

And Im not a Gibson guy either. I like old 50's early 60 Les Pauls and 60's SG's. ES335 and ES175 ect.

But for a Strat, Tele or Les Paul type guitar a Small Builder is for me the way to go. More attention for the money.

I cant imagine a better playing guitar than what Vintage Relic built for me. I would change 0000000000.

I myself wont buy another name brand guitar again. And I do have a couple. My original 4 bolt Strat form 71. Early 82 Fullerton 62 Reissue with Red Bobbin Pickups.

But for a bolt on guitar USA Custom Guitars bodies and Necks for me.

But my 1st Partscaster does have an Original 82 Fullerton 57 Reissue Body. I love those bodies. I will send 1 of these bodies to USA Custom Guitars to copy for my Next Partscaster. Tommys bodies at USACG are exact copies of his 54 Strat and 53 Blackguard

I already sent them my 71 4 bolt Strat neck to copy plus a 100+ years old Flame Maple Blank for a 1 piece neck.. Next to send is my Fullerton reissue Strat body.
I can get all of my preferred electronics ect and then send it to Glaser Instruments in Nashville for Complete Setup x Plek and Assembly. I used original 65 x 66 Strat Pups in my partscaster and Illitch Noise Reduction.

But this is Not a cheap option. But $2000 gets you modern electronics and a Plek and assembly at Glasers.

But when you get into set neck guitars its 100% different and there are also Many ways to construct them. Most arent equal to 50's construction..

I had Vinatge Relic make a 59 Les Paul copy out of Old Growth Honduran Mahogany, Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood and Maple. Also Holly Headstock Veneer. Also sent to Glaser for Plek. It took 8 months for this guitar to be built. Ive got $2700 in the Body/Neck Finish ect. Another $2100 in electronics, Hardware, Plastic and Set Up x Plek.

It could have been done for Much cheaper as I bought Really Expensive parts. Especially Plastic. I know this makes it sound 000%%%% Better. I also wanted As close to original 59 as possible. Also all Unaged 100% new. I had to wait a month and a half for Historic Makeovers to get Unaged V/T knobs, Truss Rod Cover, Switch Tip, R/T Ring. They make only Small batches and are Usually Aged.

I wanted 000 Aging/Relicing.

This $2700 does not include Electronics, Plastic or Hardware. I got hardware ect from

Vintage Relic, Tom Holmes Pickups, Historic Makeovers x MojoAxe Plastic, Pigtail Bridge Assembly. Gotoh SD510 Locking Tulip Gears. Earvana Nut. NOS .015 x .022 Bumblebee caps. Throbak M69 Rings.

Set up x Plek at Glaser Instruments in Nashville.

The construction methods are different on guitars like this Trussrods/Neck Tenons being 2. Hot Hide Glue. Many Small Builders like Vintage Relic, can even use Old Growth Wood that is era correct for a Les Paul. Era Correct finishes. Original aniline dyes and nitro with No UV protectant.

Each time they cut a board/wood they let it rest 3-4 days before making another cut on said board so it can acclimate to its new dimensions/tension. This is a Common construction method used on Acoustic guitars and makes for a More Stable guitar.

It will be hard to convince me that allowing time for the wood to reorient after being cut doesn't make a difference in stability.

So time is money as is attention to detail. The guys that made my guitar sent me at least 50-60 photos of the build from every stage. The finish being the slowest part as the guy didn't have a good camera. They send the guitar out to their finish guy.

They even sent pics of the wood they would use for my guitar and estimated the weight of the guitar by the Llbs x bd/ft.... Which they estimated right on at 8.2lbs. Nonweight relieved.

I believe Almost Every Gibson Les Paul since the early 80's is weight relieved. Notice I said Almost as I believe the Historics and R series are Not WR'd.

All others except the New and 2013 Traditionals aren't.

But a lot of people spend big bucks to have Historics and R series gone over at Historic Makeovers for Another $4000 !!!!.

But I believe in the long run that the construction of the Higher End Old Construction method guitars will wear and tear better than Modern Construction methods.

Considering inflation and how expensive older materials are, including more time consuming to construct, I think that $4000 dollars in Not an Expensive guitar any more than a $500 dollar les Paul was in 71. And the 71 Les Paul didn't use the construction methods of OLD 50's either. They would have been even More expensive had they used Long Tenon Neck, Hide Glue ect, and the same construction as in the 50's and 1960.

So you could probably add another $150-$200 even for back then if it was true to the originals.

Which would be $4400 USD today.

All I really want is something as close to an Original 59 Les Paul as I can get. Nothing more nothing less. No split coils ect.

Just like I want my amps.

I like a JTM45 so I got a Limited Edition Metropoulos GMP45 with all NOS glass. Its about as close to an original as Im ever going to get. And its so good I cant ever see me getting rid of it unless it s just fries out ect. I wanted a Simple High Quality Circuit free of anything. So the GMP45 was a good start.

I paid huge bucks just for the tubes and the amp was even more expensive, but I wanted this amp and got it and am so happy with it I wish I had 2 more of them. But IM going to get the Metro GMP45/100 Limited Edtion. But not anytime soon.

I am going to have Vintage Relic build me another Les Paul next year. I have another set of Tom Holmes Pickups waiting and they need a guitar to put them in

But I figure that the tubes will probably last 20+ years and I wont have to be continually fighting with them. And they are Much more quiet/quieter?? than any modern tubes ive tried.

But I don't think $4000-$5000- dollars for a guitar or amp is overpriced. You just have to get what you want. If youre happy with what you have. All is good.

Some may want the Gibson on the headstock and go with the expensive Gibson. I cant fault people for wanting what they want.
All I care about is that it is a stable platform that has correct Intonation. 50's Gibsons were built like Tanks excluding the headstocks. But that's just the angle.

I would also add that a guitar set up and Pleked at Glasers Will play better than almost anything available. Regardless of who makes the guitar.

Also Gibsons Plek Jobs don't represent what a Great Plek job can do.

WTF? how long did it take you to write that?:scratch:

Metroman

Reaction score
I guess if someone doesn't have anything better to do than disparage someones remark thats ok.

It took 10-15 minutes Im a fast typist. About 100 words a minute. I work in a Law Office.

Carry on.

Bflat5

Reaction score
Want something interesting?

He bought the Charvel Star...$4000...and he used the BODY ONLY.

He installed a Modulus Graphite Neck...
and JUNKED the original neck.

He JUNKED the NEW Floyd Rose,
and installed a vintage original Floyd Rose.

That's just the beginning,
because he bought SEVERAL Charvel Stars...(for the body only)
AND several Modulus Guitars (for the neck only)

And picked the best neck and body, to build ONE guitar.

Total cost: OVER $12,000.00 to build ONE guitar.

And that folks, is a BOLT ON neck. Which I would NEVER buy for myself.

Who? WTF!!?

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess if someone doesn't have anything better to do than disparage someones remark thats ok.

It took 10-15 minutes Im a fast typist. About 100 words a minute. I work in a Law Office.

Carry on.

If it took you 15 mins to type it, it would take me about half hr read it.. Stuff that :lol:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
in 1971 i could have bought a full marshall 100 watt stack for $1200 usd.

The cost for this same item adjusted for todays times is $7,035.05 usd.

So if i go out and buy a metro gmp45/100 with 2 x 4 x 12 cabinets its no more expensive when comparing to 1971 prices. You could even load the cabinets with some original 1972 pulsonic coned celestion g12m with 25 watt 75hz cones.

Or i could buy the no longer in production jimi hendrix hand wired limited edition marshall that was copied off of the hendrix/dickinson amp. Id get the metro but the marshall jhhw is cheaper than the metro and the marshall jhhw im sure has a bit of collector value also.

Stratocasters comparatively are several hundred dollars more expensive today than in 1971.

But if you compare a new les paul traditional to 1971 les paul prices they are about the same.

You didn't have all the different "models" then that you do now. A les paul was a les paul. Strat was a strat. Tele tele. Es335 was es335 ect.

I consider the avri series ..the stratocaster. For modern strats when i think strat that's where my mind goes to.

But if i were to get a les paul with gibson on the headstock i reckon my choice would be an historic model.

I like fat necks too. Vintage relic made me a .92-1.02. Very fat and vintage small frets.

You cant get vintage small 6230 frets from gibson yet that is what they used up until mid-late 59. Vr will put any fret you want.

But if you start getting royalite binding, hot hide glue construction, alinine dyes ect. Of course they are going to be much more expensive. Like an historic. And they don't use brazilian rosewood or honduran mahogany.

I got a custom color olympic white 4 bolt strat new in 71 for $279.65 including case.

It listed for $400.00 which is $2350 today. I got mine for what would $1649 today. $279.65 is what it cost then.

A les paul was $500. Sg custom with bigsby and 3 pickups was $565.00 that's $3000 dollars.

And if you consider gibson uses real royalite binding on their higher end guitars the price also goes up as its not cheap to come by and more time consuming to work with.

And im not a gibson guy either. I like old 50's early 60 les pauls and 60's sg's. Es335 and es175 ect.

But for a strat, tele or les paul type guitar a small builder is for me the way to go. More attention for the money.

I cant imagine a better playing guitar than what vintage relic built for me. I would change 0000000000.

I myself wont buy another name brand guitar again. And i do have a couple. My original 4 bolt strat form 71. Early 82 fullerton 62 reissue with red bobbin pickups.

But for a bolt on guitar usa custom guitars bodies and necks for me.

But my 1st partscaster does have an original 82 fullerton 57 reissue body. I love those bodies. I will send 1 of these bodies to usa custom guitars to copy for my next partscaster. Tommys bodies at usacg are exact copies of his 54 strat and 53 blackguard

i already sent them my 71 4 bolt strat neck to copy plus a 100+ years old flame maple blank for a 1 piece neck.. Next to send is my fullerton reissue strat body.
I can get all of my preferred electronics ect and then send it to glaser instruments in nashville for complete setup x plek and assembly. I used original 65 x 66 strat pups in my partscaster and illitch noise reduction.

But this is not a cheap option. But $2000 gets you modern electronics and a plek and assembly at glasers.

But when you get into set neck guitars its 100% different and there are also many ways to construct them. Most arent equal to 50's construction..

I had vinatge relic make a 59 les paul copy out of old growth honduran mahogany, old growth brazilian rosewood and maple. Also holly headstock veneer. Also sent to glaser for plek. It took 8 months for this guitar to be built. Ive got $2700 in the body/neck finish ect. Another $2100 in electronics, hardware, plastic and set up x plek.

It could have been done for much cheaper as i bought really expensive parts. Especially plastic. I know this makes it sound 000%%%% better. I also wanted as close to original 59 as possible. Also all unaged 100% new. I had to wait a month and a half for historic makeovers to get unaged v/t knobs, truss rod cover, switch tip, r/t ring. They make only small batches and are usually aged.

I wanted 000 aging/relicing.

This $2700 does not include electronics, plastic or hardware. I got hardware ect from

vintage relic, tom holmes pickups, historic makeovers x mojoaxe plastic, pigtail bridge assembly. Gotoh sd510 locking tulip gears. Earvana nut. Nos .015 x .022 bumblebee caps. Throbak m69 rings.

Set up x plek at glaser instruments in nashville.

The construction methods are different on guitars like this trussrods/neck tenons being 2. Hot hide glue. Many small builders like vintage relic, can even use old growth wood that is era correct for a les paul. Era correct finishes. Original aniline dyes and nitro with no uv protectant.

Each time they cut a board/wood they let it rest 3-4 days before making another cut on said board so it can acclimate to its new dimensions/tension. This is a common construction method used on acoustic guitars and makes for a more stable guitar.

They even sent pics of the wood they would use for my guitar and estimated the weight of the guitar by the llbs x bd/ft.... Which they estimated right on at 8.2lbs. Nonweight relieved.

I believe almost every gibson les paul since the early 80's is weight relieved. Notice i said almost as i believe the historics and r series are not wr'd.

All others except the new and 2013 traditionals aren't.

But a lot of people spend big bucks to have historics and r series gone over at historic makeovers for another $4000 !!!!.

But i believe in the long run that the construction of the higher end old construction method guitars will wear and tear better than modern construction methods.

Considering inflation and how expensive older materials are, including more time consuming to construct, i think that $4000 dollars in not an expensive guitar any more than a $500 dollar les paul was in 71. And the 71 les paul didn't use the construction methods of old 50's either. They would have been even more expensive had they used long tenon neck, hide glue ect, and the same construction as in the 50's and 1960.

Which would be $4400 usd today.

All i really want is something as close to an original 59 les paul as i can get. Nothing more nothing less. No split coils ect.

Just like i want my amps.

I like a jtm45 so i got a limited edition metropoulos gmp45 with all nos glass. Its about as close to an original as im ever going to get. And its so good i cant ever see me getting rid of it unless it s just fries out ect. I wanted a simple high quality circuit free of anything. So the gmp45 was a good start.

I paid huge bucks just for the tubes and the amp was even more expensive, but i wanted this amp and got it and am so happy with it i wish i had 2 more of them. But im going to get the metro gmp45/100 limited edtion. But not anytime soon.

I am going to have vintage relic build me another les paul next year. I have another set of tom holmes pickups waiting and they need a guitar to put them in

but i figure that the tubes will probably last 20+ years and i wont have to be continually fighting with them. And they are much more quiet/quieter?? Than any modern tubes ive tried.

But i don't think $4000-$5000- dollars for a guitar or amp is overpriced. You just have to get what you want. If youre happy with what you have. All is good.

Some may want the gibson on the headstock and go with the expensive gibson. I cant fault people for wanting what they want.
All i care about is that it is a stable platform that has correct intonation. 50's gibsons were built like tanks excluding the headstocks. But that's just the angle.

I would also add that a guitar set up and pleked at glasers will play better than almost anything available. Regardless of who makes the guitar.

Also gibsons plek jobs don't represent what a great plek job can do.

tl;dr. ;)

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Man this thread really backfired
200.gif