Marshall 1936, vintage VS new

• Thread starter maltone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maltone

Reaction score
John, that was AWESOME dude, great playing, now I wanna put on Aerosmith and listen to it all day.

— The first speaker, around 16-18 second mark, when you play the G—A.. "Same old story..." part for the vocals I love the feel and crispness of that E and G chord. Really spanky, snarly and bright. How cool. And there's something in the 75 that is reminiscent of my V30 - growl and cut. The Invader was a bit softer, and I like the ET65 the least - I found it too dark.

So that tells me, I prefer brighter. It's funny John, I've got this very mid/upper mid heavy burstbucker 3, and through the DSL and the V30's, I think it's stellar. And the BB3 isn't a dark pickup, it's pretty mid snarly, it cuts very well. It's not a "polite" sounding pickup. And yet, whenever I plug into the amp, I find myself almost always boosting the mids a bit, and the treble, and turning the bass down - it's like my ear gravitates to that spanky thing, as opposed to that beefy thing.

In the first clip, when you're playing the D chord especially, it reminds me a bit of the Tech 21 Leeds character series pedal. Although I don't own any pedals, and I'm not really into them, it's the only pedal that's ever interested me - gives a very bright upper mid and treble boost.

So in that clip you recorded, in the order that I hear them:
1) Celestion G12T-75
2) WGS Invader (50W version of the "Green Beret")
3) WGS ET-65

WOW, well that certainly helps me a ton, because the G12T-75 is the right wattage to run a pair for a 100 watt like the DSL.

Although brighter, I really like the G-75 in the first clip? I really like the cut and presence it has, it doesn't sound dark or woofy. That makes it easier for me, because I can find lots of those in cabs around here.

It's funny in the original thread what you were saying "nice to have a brighter speaker" and I couldn't agree more. If you don't have that cut or edge in there, very difficult to add it in. WOW. I think I'm going to have to try and find a pair of those, maybe I can mix one of them with my V30?

Here's one for you John, is there a group of years for used 75's that was better than other years?

Man, I really liked that bright cut, you can always tame it, but you can't add it. — Thanks dude, that really opened up my speaker brain.

Last edited:

johnfv

Reaction score
Maltone, I'm no expert, just have tried a variety of cabs and speakers over the years. I think the only way to know what is best for you is to try some things and I do think mixing can be good - try simply replacing one speaker. The G12T75 will if anything accentuate the low end so would not be what I would want in a deep Dual Rec cab. Based on the comments you've made I would think the V30 would be a pretty good speaker for you. The 65 could be another good choice. I enjoy the variety - it's not so much "good" vs. "bad". Even the G12T75 (one of my least favorite speakers I have owned) is pretty good.

maltone

Reaction score
I think the best thing I can do for now, is spring for a used 1936, or get one made locally, shallower, maybe 10", and put the V30's in there.

Without babbling all over again, I love most of what I hear from the V30, mid heavy, that snort etc. What I might do, is try to find a new one available with the 75's, bring in my DSL head, and the Mesa recto, and AB them, side by side, same settings etc.

Maybe it'll be as simple as putting the V30's into 1936? Maybe I should try to find a bright, more shallow Fender cab? Hmmm. dunno.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think the best thing I can do for now, is spring for a used 1936, or get one made locally, shallower, maybe 10", and put the V30's in there.

Without babbling all over again, I love most of what I hear from the V30, mid heavy, that snort etc. What I might do, is try to find a new one available with the 75's, bring in my DSL head, and the Mesa recto, and AB them, side by side, same settings etc.

Maybe it'll be as simple as putting the V30's into 1936? Maybe I should try to find a bright, more shallow Fender cab? Hmmm. dunno.

I still think it would be a quick and cheap experiment to put a panel inside, that's what I'd do.

Latest posts