Marshall 2550 Head (Black Tolex)

• Thread starter GibsonSlash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Does anyone have any picture of this 2550 Black Tolex Head? It's a 50 watt head.
Does it suppose to have a ventilation on top of the head near the handle?

I hardly see this 2550 head in black tolex on ebay or anywhere, are they limited?
Until what year these amp produced?

Thanks and I appreciate all info.

Adwex

Reaction score
50 watt Marshalls do not have the vent on top.
I didn't know Marshall made a 2550 in black. The black 2555 I believe was only made in 1988...I think.

felim

Reaction score
I don't know about the vent but the 2550 was part of the Jubilee series in '87 with the silver tolex and chrome faceplate. After '87 they continued the series in black tolex till '89.

Regarding your bias you'll need to measure the plate voltage first. My silver jubilee runs 504v B+, so I bias my JJ E34Ls around 34mA.

The procedure is exactly the same as this video of biasing an 800:

euro-m

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Here's my new amp.
Not sure what it's called, I guess Black Jubilee 2550 Head?
I'm amazed by its tone, pure classic rock with tons of gain if I wish to.
I used to have a VM 2266 50 watt head, I don't like VM clean tone, compared to this, this blows away VM for its clean tone miles away!

PICT4671.jpg

PICT4676.jpg

PICT4683.jpg

Adwex

Reaction score
Very cool. I guess they did make a black 2550, I never saw one.

I'm surprised to hear you praising the clean sound, Jubilees are known for their lead sound.

Play it well brother.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Not the best clean sound I heard if this 2550 compared to my JMP, but compared to VM, it wins.

Adwex, I'm still trying to figure out what this Pull Rhythm Clip on the Input Gain knob on the far right side for.

I like it pushed when on Dirty channel (red light on), but when on Clean Channel, if that Input Gain knob is pulled, I will get a crunchy tone.

Do you have any reference on how to use these knobs? These are new toys to me as I'm used to using my single channel JMP, less knobs :lol:

Adwex

Reaction score
Not the best clean sound I heard if this 2550 compared to my JMP, but compared to VM, it wins.

Adwex, I'm still trying to figure out what this Pull Rhythm Clip on the Input Gain knob on the far right side for.

I like it pushed when on Dirty channel (red light on), but when on Clean Channel, if that Input Gain knob is pulled, I will get a crunchy tone.

Do you have any reference on how to use these knobs? These are new toys to me as I'm used to using my single channel JMP, less knobs :lol:

The rhythm clip engages some extra diode clipping to get a more distorted sound while on the rhythm channel. I NEVER pull mine out, the lead channel sounds soooo much better.

After having my Jubilee for 1 1/2 years, my observations are:
The Jubilee has the BEST lead guitar tone I have ever heard. Period. I very rarely use the rhythm channel, but when I do, the rhythm clip knob is in (off). I use the lead channel for my main rhythm sound, and I use a boost effect when I play leads.

The way a Jubilee is designed, it's difficult, if not impossible, to have both a clean and crunch sound at the same time. It has "two channels", but you can't really use it as a two channel amp in the classic sense due to the shared EQ, and input gain. The tradeoff for this deficiency is the best lead guitar sound EVER. It "cleans up" fairly well when you turn your guitar's volume down, so don't even bother switching channels. You're used to a single channel amp already, so just treat the Jub the same way.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Adwex, I appreciate your explanation.
Just confirming that I understand you correctly, when you say Rhythm channel, that's when the Red light is off? And Lead channel is when the Red light is on?

I experience the same, when I'm on Lead channel, I don't like the rhythm clip engaged (pulled), it harshed the tone and spiked the high end frequency, especially when playing leads, although playing rhythm still acceptable.

Lead Master knob will only work in Lead channel right?
And what's this Input Gain knob for? More like Pre-Amp volume in JCM800/JMP?
And Output Master is more like Master Volume in JCM800/JMP?

Please forgive me for noob questions like this, I like to learn more about this amp.

2550Knobs.jpg

Adwex

Reaction score
Adwex, I appreciate your explanation.
Just confirming that I understand you correctly, when you say Rhythm channel, that's when the Red light is off? And Lead channel is when the Red light is on?

I experience the same, when I'm on Lead channel, I don't like the rhythm clip engaged (pulled), it harshed the tone and spiked the high end frequency, especially when playing leads, although playing rhythm still acceptable.

Lead Master knob will only work in Lead channel right?
And what's this Input Gain knob for? More like Pre-Amp volume in JCM800/JMP?
And Output Master is more like Master Volume in JCM800/JMP?

Please forgive me for noob questions like this, I like to learn more about this amp.

2550Knobs.jpg

You are correct, lead channel, red light on.

I know, it is confusing, with the lead master, input gain, and output master....but you are correct...the input gain is the preamp "volume". It's not really "volume", it is "gain". This gain knob adjusts the gain for both channels, rhythm and lead. That's why you can't get a good clean sound on the rhythm channel with low gain, then switch to the lead channel where you need high gain. I leave my input gain cranked, or on 8 or so.

The Lead Master adjusts the relative volume of the lead channel, independent of the rhythm channel. I leave mine cranked on 10, since I don't use the amp as a two channel amp.

The Output Master is the overall master volume, and it controls the volume of both channels.

I know it's confusing, and it kinda sucks if you really need a two channel amp, but like I keep saying, it's the best LEAD guitar amp Marshall ever made. If you need a clean sound, and a lead/crunch sound at the same time, you'll need to explore other alternatives.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
One more thing, I used to be using a THD hotplate to attenuate my old JMP boosted with an OD pedal so I can get a nice dirty tone at low volume, but with this amp, I can get a nice dirty tone at low volume without having it attenuated. It's great for playing at midnight, without having cops busting my door. :rofl:

Adwex

Reaction score
One more thing, I used to be using a THD hotplate to attenuate my old JMP boosted with an OD pedal so I can get a nice dirty tone at low volume, but with this amp, I can get a nice dirty tone at low volume without having it attenuated. It's great for playing at midnight, without having cops busting my door. :rofl:

That's funny. I bought a HotPlate too, but the Jubilee sounds better without it.

Can you post a clip of your new baby? I'd love to hear it.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Yea, probably it's time for the Hotplate to retire.
I don't have proper recording equipment, probably I can record using my digital camera, but probably the sound will be suck. I'd try.
That's funny. I bought a HotPlate too, but the Jubilee sounds better without it.

Can you post a clip of your new baby? I'd love to hear it.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Here's a very short clip, not sure how to upload bigger than 97kb for file sound into here using attachment.

I run using a Classic Antique with Bridge PU (57 Classic Plus) straight into the amp. At the effect loops I plugged MXR M108 & Holy Grail Reverb.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Here's my new amp.
Not sure what it's called, I guess Black Jubilee 2550 Head?

PICT4671.jpg

PICT4676.jpg

PICT4683.jpg

With the vents on top, I can tell you for sure that someone put that 2550 chassis in a 100w box OR cut out vent holes and installed the marshall vent grille.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Yea, I did a bit research on this 2550 heads, they don't have a vent.
Why would a 100 watt need a vent though? Just wondering?
With the vents on top, I can tell you for sure that someone put that 2550 chassis in a 100w box OR cut out vent holes and installed the marshall vent grille.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
I just noticed how bad sounding a Marshall RF-1 through an effect loop, Holy Grail will sound way much better.

I didn't notice this difference when they were plugged in front of the amp of my JMP, but through the effect loop, they ARE different.

Adwex, what reverb do you use?
I'm thinking of getting a Hardwire Reverb to see how it goes compared to the Holy Grail.

Adwex

Reaction score
Yea, I did a bit research on this 2550 heads, they don't have a vent.
Why would a 100 watt need a vent though? Just wondering?

Does your amp have a vent? I can't see in the pics you posted.

100 watt amps have 4 power tubes instead of 2, so they generate more heat.

Adwex

Reaction score
.....Adwex, what reverb do you use?
I'm thinking of getting a Hardwire Reverb to see how it goes compared to the Holy Grail.

I have a Lexicon MPX-G2 rack effects unit, but I use very little reverb. On my rhythm setting, I have no effects at all, just the Marshall. For leads I have some delay, and a little volume boost, and a wah available when I hit the pedal.

One of the reasons I got that particular Lexicon unit is because it has a unique feature...it allows effects to be placed anywhere in the chain, before or after the Marshall's preamp, or in the effect's loop. The preamp can also be bypassed completely...this is how I get a nice clean sound with the Jubilee set for high gain, without switching channels. The signal chain is like this:

guitar>X2 wireless>Lexicon input>pre-gain effects>Lexicon "insert send">Jubilee input>Jubilee preamp>Jubilee effect send>Lexicon "insert return">post gain effects>Lexicon output>Jubilee effects return>Jubilee power amp>speaker cab

Looks a little complicated, but it makes perfect sense. The "insert send" and return can be bypassed, so the signal just goes from the Lexicon to the effects loop return of the Jubilee, so there's no high gain distortion. I have a "clean" patch set up with compressor, chorus, and reverb.