Marshall 2550 Head (Black Tolex)

• Thread starter GibsonSlash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
You totally make my head dizzy, Adwex:confused:
I probably don't need that high end gear as I'm not making money from music, but thanks anyway bro! :)
guitar>X2 wireless>Lexicon input>pre-gain effects>Lexicon "insert send">Jubilee input>Jubilee preamp>Jubilee effect send>Lexicon "insert return">post gain effects>Lexicon output>Jubilee effects return>Jubilee power amp>speaker cab

Adwex

Reaction score
You totally make my head dizzy, Adwex:confused:
I probably don't need that high end gear as I'm not making money from music, but thanks anyway bro! :)

LOL, sorry about that, I didn't mean to confuse you. I don't make money from music either, and you already have high end gear...Jubilees don't grow on trees LOL.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Haha!
No Worries bro.

Hey I just checked your old post showing your Jube.
What a clean amp for its age. Sweet!
LOL, sorry about that, I didn't mean to confuse you. I don't make money from music either, and you already have high end gear...Jubilees don't grow on trees LOL.

Adwex

Reaction score
Haha!No Worries bro.Hey I just checked your old post showing your Jube.What a clean amp for its age. Sweet!
That's exactly why I bought it, I wanted one in good shape. They don't come around often, and they're going up in price. Yours is pretty clean too, hold on to it, and take good care of it. The top of a Jubilee is no place to rest your beer. ;)

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
This amp will stay as long as I could live! :lol:

I always wanted to have a Slash Signature amp, but after knowing it is a reissue from "The Original", why not getting one? The JUBILEE itself. :naughty:

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Adwex, today I replaced my stock speakers (G12T-75) in my Marshall 1936 2x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30.

What a difference!!
Before it sounded like my amp was covered by a thick blanket, now it sounds alive, with LOTS of mids for sure!! :D

Adwex

Reaction score
Very cool.
I was thinking of getting some V30's too, but I was afraid there would be too much mids.
I played a friend's 2x12 once that had a V30 and a G12H. I really liked that combination, a smooth mix of lows, mids and highs.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Very cool.
I was thinking of getting some V30's too, but I was afraid there would be too much mids.
I played a friend's 2x12 once that had a V30 and a G12H. I really liked that combination, a smooth mix of lows, mids and highs.

Yup, the G12H will help tame the V30's upper mids, which can get annoying

Adwex

Reaction score
Is the G12H the 30 watt speaker?

Yup. There are 2 versions though, the "Anniversary", and the more expensive "Heritage".
I put one of the Heritage G12H's in my 4x12...just one. It's loud, with tons of bass and highs, but could use some more mids.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Oh yeah, one more thing I noticed, it get LOUDER now, in a good way though.
Why the "Heritage" is more expensive than "Anniversary"?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Oh yeah, one more thing I noticed, it get LOUDER now, in a good way though.
Why the "Heritage" is more expensive than "Anniversary"?

Heritage is made in England with a different cone. The Anniversary in made in China. Neither one sounds like a pre-rola G12H, not to say that they sound bad tough.

For the money, you'd be better getting a WGS G12H clone. For a G12 replica, scumback speakers is you best bet.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
The serial number on this head starts with "Y", I looked it up on the table, it's made in 1990.
Did Marshall still produced this Black Tolex Jubilee up to that year? I thought only in 1988.

I tried to find any reference regarding Black Jubilee, but none.
Any experts on Jubilee might share?

GibsonSlash

Reaction score

felim

Reaction score
The serial number on this head starts with "Y", I looked it up on the table, it's made in 1990.
Did Marshall still produced this Black Tolex Jubilee up to that year? I thought only in 1988.

I tried to find any reference regarding Black Jubilee, but none.
Any experts on Jubilee might share?

From what I know about them, they were made in 88 and 89.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
That's what I thought too.
But I read somewhere online that Marshall made them from 87 - 90, noted that Silver tolex were made only in 87, but Black tolex up to 1990.
From what I know about them, they were made in 88 and 89.

Adwex

Reaction score
Adwex, here are 2 clips I made last night, ignore the playing, I just learned the song yesterday.

I couldn't crank it, the security was knocking on my door and had me turn down the volume.
I recorded only at Master vol 2, on Lead channel.
I could hear I lost the grit you get when it's cranked. But sounds okay for nighttime play.

SoundClick artist: GibsonSlash - page with MP3 music downloads

SoundClick artist: GibsonSlash - page with MP3 music downloads

Dude, I had a huge grin on my face listening to these clips, I think I even yelled "YEAH!!" That amp sounds GREAT. I can't put it into words really, but the Jub just sounds....rich, articulate, hollow (in a good way), clear, chimey, chewy, creamy, smooth, etc. It has a quality that you just don't quite get with other Marshalls...or any other amp.

What were your settings...gain, bass, mid, treble, presence?
How did you record, close miked?

The lead channel on a Jubilee is magic...it just sounds.....right.

Nothing wrong with the playing either.

Which guitar did you use?

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
Thanks Adwex.
I was amazed on how clean it can get when I rolled off the volume (around 1).
I tried to remember my settings.
Presence 8-9, Bass 8, Mid 7, Treble 7, Master 2, Lead Master 10, Lead Gain 7.
I did use a bit of analog delay from Hardwire DL-8 and cut the high frequency a bit on my MXR M108 EQ with a bit of Gain boost, and Volume cut. I used my Gibson Slash goldtop.

I just recorded using a KonikaMinolta camera, no mic.
It sounded better in real, I think the sound get compressed.
It was originally a MP4, converted to WAV, then to MP3, that's why the tone was different.

Adwex, do you have clips recorded from your Jubilee?
Dude, I had a huge grin on my face listening to these clips, I think I even yelled "YEAH!!" That amp sounds GREAT. I can't put it into words really, but the Jub just sounds....rich, articulate, hollow (in a good way), clear, chimey, chewy, creamy, smooth, etc. It has a quality that you just don't quite get with other Marshalls...or any other amp.

What were your settings...gain, bass, mid, treble, presence?
How did you record, close miked?

The lead channel on a Jubilee is magic...it just sounds.....right.

Nothing wrong with the playing either.

Which guitar did you use?

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
I just got two V30 speakers UK made, and am planning to replace the Chinese ones inside my cab today. See if it makes big difference.

I can see waves contour quite clearly from the back of the cone of these UK V30, so I guess they have been broken in? Because the Chinese V30 doesn't have that contour "yet".