• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall 30th Anniversary Series thread (6100 / 6101)

• Thread starter Tonton
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tonton

Reaction score
Hot Tubes, tell us more about your JVM experience
is it as good at low volume?

high gain more compressed, tighter i think
and what about the cleans and crunchy tones, I love the crunchy tones in Ch2A (6101)

in which they stand out to the other?

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at a jam a few years back at a buddys house where a guitarist showed up with a JVM410H half stack. Sad to say, that my Vox AD120VTH kicked that JVM's ass for tone that day. I am sure the guy did not have that JVM dialed in to my or my drummers liking, but I was very underwhelmed. I have never played through a JVM myself, but of course it is on my GAS list. If I can ever get myself to sell my second '88 2205 or flip this second 6100LM I just got, maybe I can get one.

:D

I wanted to just chime in, that I was comparing this 6100LM I just got to my '94 6100 non LM. I will eventually do a proper comparison by loading the same valves/tubes into both amps. I want to hear the difference mainly in the LM circuit. But tonight I was playing both amps in my bedroom at a decent volume. I actually tinkered a bit more with CH2 mode C (basically just backed the Gain WAY DOWN) and I was floored how good this mode sounds. It actually was almost spot on to CH3. I do have identical Chinese 12AX7B's in V1 - V7 of this '97 6100LM, where my first '94 6100 has a mix of NOS (Mullard/GE/Tungsram) and new production in the preamp. Maybe having the same tubes on each channel contributed.

Anyway, I am digging CH2 C big time.c2C seems to sound slightly better in the '97 LM than the '94. I am really thinking hard on adding a switching circuit to one of these 6100 amps now. At first, I was just thinking I would like to either have footswitch access between CH 2 A B. Then I was thinking I would like to be able to footswitch the Boost on CH3. Now, I am really thinking hard on two relay circuits and being able to footswitch to CH2 B C.

Anyone else here considered doing this?

Anitoli, I know you must have given it some thought . . . .

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Channel 2C kicks! It is pretty much a channel 3. It would be awesome to footswitch modes. Wondered why with MIDI they wouldn't have built in that feature.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have the house to myself for awhile. We will see how these cheap Chinese 6L6's I just got sound in my 6100LM against the JJ 6L6GC's that are in there now.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a little bit of Loud time in before people got back to the house. I am leaning towards the non LM circuit for CH3 as my preference. I also am preferring the Ruby 6L6GC MSTR's over the JJ 6L6GC's for the LM amp. That might have to do with my bridge pickup in my guitar which is high output and has a beefy low end as well. The JJ's seemed to be chunkier on the bottom end than the Ruby's.

The cheap Chinese 6L6's I got had one bad one that immediately blew my tube fuse. So I did not get to try those. You get what you pay for I guess.

I was able to coax a better tone out of the LM CH3 by not using the boost and backing off the Gain and Bass a bit. I prefer the .68uF bypass cap of the non LM to that huge 2.2uF bypass cap on the LM.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just checked and my KT66's will not fit the 6100. So maybe I need to try EL34's in the LM amp.

:hmm:

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was stumped when activating the BOOST on CH3 on the LM amp. I was barely hearing a gain increase. Well, not as much of a change in frequency and boost as I heard doing this on the non LM circuit. Then I remembered that the LM circuit has increased gain besides that bigger bypass cap. That has to be what is happening there. If not playing/muting the guitar, I hear a big increase in noise or hiss engaging CH3 BOOST on the LM. Just not a big difference in frequency response. I like the enhanced mid voicing increase on the non LM much better with that .68uF bypass cap.

anitoli

Reaction score
I was at a jam a few years back at a buddys house where a guitarist showed up with a JVM410H half stack. Sad to say, that my Vox AD120VTH kicked that JVM's ass for tone that day. I am sure the guy did not have that JVM dialed in to my or my drummers liking, but I was very underwhelmed. I have never played through a JVM myself, but of course it is on my GAS list. If I can ever get myself to sell my second '88 2205 or flip this second 6100LM I just got, maybe I can get one.

I wanted to just chime in, that I was comparing this 6100LM I just got to my '94 6100 non LM. I will eventually do a proper comparison by loading the same valves/tubes into both amps. I want to hear the difference mainly in the LM circuit. But tonight I was playing both amps in my bedroom at a decent volume. I actually tinkered a bit more with CH2 mode C (basically just backed the Gain WAY DOWN) and I was floored how good this mode sounds. It actually was almost spot on to CH3. I do have identical Chinese 12AX7B's in V1 - V7 of this '97 6100LM, where my first '94 6100 has a mix of NOS (Mullard/GE/Tungsram) and new production in the preamp. Maybe having the same tubes on each channel contributed.

Anyway, I am digging CH2 C big time.c2C seems to sound slightly better in the '97 LM than the '94. I am really thinking hard on adding a switching circuit to one of these 6100 amps now. At first, I was just thinking I would like to either have footswitch access between CH 2 A B. Then I was thinking I would like to be able to footswitch the Boost on CH3. Now, I am really thinking hard on two relay circuits and being able to footswitch to CH2 B C.

Actually no. In the whole time i've had a 6100 i might have put maybe 3 hours on the mode A-B on channel 2. It is always on mode C.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score

I've often wondered about this very thing too ... :hmm:
It would have been nice to have foot switchable access to all modes on Channel 2 of the 6100 , but with that said , the 6100 has a ton of great options and features making it a killer amp !:hbang:

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when it comes down to it during gigging, I find myself staying on one channel of my mult-channel amps most of the time anyway.

I am going to try using 2C as a heavy lead boost when I am doing material that requires heavy grind that CH3 provides. I can set CH2 on C mode and that will be a lead boost. Then I can put CH2 back on mode B for that in between tone that I use quite a bit. The amp has many options as is.

@Hot Tubes: Is Anitoli doing repairs on your 6100?

I was just listening to the early '91 Tool Demos as well as a live show from around the Undertow period. Adam Jones is another one of my favorites. I could not put my finger on the tone that CH2 C was reminding me of until today. It has that grind of the early Tool stuff. The low mid grind and breakup plus the snarl in the mids/upper mids, that reminds me of Cantrell Facelift stuff as well.

I have not been doing anything with my AFD35 project as well as the 4104 Facelift amp project since I got these 6100's LOL.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I had a good long chat with Anitoli tonight about me sending him my 6100 for a complete overhaul / recap , and fix a few other issues .... its time !! it shit the bed the other night again blew all the fuses , popped at least one output tube , maybe more ... but its down for the count until its fixed !!

dreyn77

Reaction score
This ^ is why I've totally avoided the 6100.

the brass looks totally unique. what a great thing to have.

I thought I'd better read this thread before it went nuts. I just didn't bother with the other thread after some tiny amount of reading. I also don't need to read about mods to this amp, I think it's modded enough at the factory. ;)

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
This ^ is why I've totally avoided the 6100.

the brass looks totally unique. what a great thing to have.

I thought I'd better read this thread before it went nuts. I just didn't bother with the other thread after some tiny amount of reading. I also don't need to read about mods to this amp, I think it's modded enough at the factory. ;)

The amp was built in 1995/96 , its due for an overhaul , this common and expected service for any tube amp , this can happen to any tube amp , the max life expectancy for filter caps is 8-10 years ...

Hell , i'd say get one , have it totally redone as i'm going to do , and you'd have yourself a killer Marshall worth talking about ...:yesway:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Since my 6100 is down for a restoration , i rented a Marshall DSL100 just so i would have something to play on for the time being ..... well let me say , my old worn out , on it's deathbed 6100 has more tone left in its dried out caps & blown tubes than this like new DSL , i don't know how guys like these amps so much , i really don't get it ...

Sorry rant over ...

Tonton

Reaction score
Some interesting new stuff
I changed also all caps, it is 20Y old :)
My 2nd 6101 wasn't played a lot, but doesn't matter for caps...

interesting this channel 2c love, i only use 1, 2B and 3
with les paul i sometimes switch to 2A due to hotter pickups.
with a strat 2A is too thin, then 1 and some OCD in front is a lot warmer for some light crunch.
(would also be nice all 2ABC channels were leveled, now 2A is quite lower volume)
3 really improved when i changed from JJ to Tungsol as if blanket removed, much more harmonics and less dark.
So i'm bit puzzled why use 2C, still too close to 3 and my 3 sounds better now :)
As a boost for 2B would be nice, but as you said it needs to be switchable then.

Latest posts