Marshall 45/100 Head

• Thread starter Brewster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TM1

Reaction score
Willie's is a great shop and has been around quiet a while. The price seems awfully optimistic!

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
I’m going to have to concur, great sound amp. Perfect amount of compression, headroom is pretty high too, the one I played didn’t start to break up until around 8, and it’s haunted my dreams since.

That being said, $20k….not worth it

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Came across this while surfing my travel route and thought it to be worthy of posting. Anyone know of this head and or music store? Pretty high grass for a 100 watt that appears top have been restored. I am not knowledgeable enough to confirm just a gut feeling. Feel free to add some input on this beautiful head.

I concur with the following

1. The filter caps have been replaced, those are obvious
2. Way to expensive unless money isn’t issue.
3. Serial number looks correct
4. Drake transformer is accurate
5. MK3 if I’m correct this is one of the first runs of JTM45/100 powered by EL34s and not KT66s

At 21k, it’s overpriced. I came across one about 3 years ago in LA that was $18k and everything was original.

The amp sounds killer though. It will haunt your dreams.
Came across this while surfing my travel route and thought it to be worthy of posting. Anyone know of this head and or music store? Pretty high grass for a 100 watt that appears top have been restored. I am not knowledgeable enough to confirm just a gut feeling. Feel free to add some input on this beautiful head.

playloud

Reaction score
5. MK3 if I’m correct this is one of the first runs of JTM45/100 powered by EL34s and not KT66s

No, it was definitely intended for KT66s. "MKIII" appeared on the whole gamut of white panel 100Ws (including 7026). It's not very meaningful.

This sold the other day and looked a good deal (possibly sold for less than advertised too): https://themusiclocker.co.uk/shop/vintage-1966-marshall-jtm-100w-super-pa-amplifier-head/

Probably '67 - PAs seem to have been the last amps built to KT66 spec - and a decent resto with original transformers (and less common lugs on the 1204-43). Holes in the back kept the price down but won't affect tone. I thought the Iskras/470k mixers were anachronistic at first, but suspect they may actually be consistent with original (if not actually original). Ditto extra PI filter cap. Mixer bypass cap can always be added.

VERVEHAMMER

Reaction score
".....Cutting a Fat Hog?!!"

I'm absolutely there, Bro!

That's So damn Gnarly, ... : )

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
No, it was definitely intended for KT66s. "MKIII" appeared on the whole gamut of white panel 100Ws (including 7026). It's not very meaningful.

This sold the other day and looked a good deal (possibly sold for less than advertised too): https://themusiclocker.co.uk/shop/vintage-1966-marshall-jtm-100w-super-pa-amplifier-head/

Probably '67 - PAs seem to have been the last amps built to KT66 spec - and a decent resto with original transformers (and less common lugs on the 1204-43). Holes in the back kept the price down but won't affect tone. I thought the Iskras/470k mixers were anachronistic at first, but suspect they may actually be consistent with original (if not actually original). Ditto extra PI filter cap. Mixer bypass cap can always be added.
That’s why I love this forum! I always learn something ! Personally I think the mark 3 I had a chance to play has serial number some where in the 12000.

playloud

Reaction score
That’s why I love this forum! I always learn something ! Personally I think the mark 3 I had a chance to play has serial number some where in the 12000.

Really? I thought they all had gold back panels by then (12xxx started appearing in '68 to my knowledge). 7xxx-10xxx is more likely.

neikeel

Reaction score
Look out.
There is going to be a great sounding 45/100 PA with original OT and RS PT coming up for sale. No back bullet holes. Sounds (and feels stellar). I did tidy up, service, cap reform, new KT66s.
Eyes peeled!

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Really? I thought they all had gold back panels by then (12xxx started appearing in '68 to my knowledge). 7xxx-10xxx is more likely.
Turns out this specific amp I am referring to was the subject of a post of mine from 2022. You even commented on it.

neikeel

Reaction score
The first Gold rear panel 45/100s had 1202-119 output transformer and 352-114 choke and 1203-80 and had the window serial numbers in 1000x range and had aluminium block end chassis with EL34s. Cab had single narrow vent. These were early 67. Shortly after that the steel JTM Black Flags arrived and the 1202-132 OT came.

playloud

Reaction score
Turns out this specific amp I am referring to was the subject of a post of mine from 2022. You even commented on it.

Ah yes! I remember. Looks like 8557

Look out.
There is going to be a great sounding 45/100 PA with original OT and RS PT coming up for sale. No back bullet holes. Sounds (and feels stellar). I did tidy up, service, cap reform, new KT66s.
Eyes peeled!

Very nice. Where should we be looking?

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Look out.
Eyes peeled!
Don’t Toy with us ! I’m about to the pull the trigger on a 50 watt tremolos mod1962 2x12….

playloud

Reaction score
I’m about to the pull the trigger on a 50 watt tremolos mod1962 2x12….

Any pics? I feel like these amps typically require more scrutiny than usual (although less so with later/metal panel ones)