Marshall 50 full stack w/'59 Les Paul filmed back in 1981...

• Thread starter Geetarpicker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Geetarpicker

Reaction score
This is my first post here on the Marshall forum, just joined up. I recently rediscovered some old video footage of me back when we were all only 18-21 year old kids, I had really long hair, and a very FAT sounding 1970 model 50 watt "small box" 50 stack. Uh, a '59 Les Paul too. Here is the link and the old videos say "1981 live with RAVEN"...

YouTube - GlenKuykendall's Channel

I've been digging the tone so much in these old videos I've been putting out the word I'd love to buy this exact small box 50 back! I guess it's also the sentimental side of it as it's been 25 years since I owned it! (whoa) The amp is SN# 5297A, and it actually passed through EBAY within the last year or so but I sadly missed it! Someone also over the years put an aftermarket plexi panel on the front, but it's still metal on the back. A somewhat rare rotary ohms selector. It had a fan hole at one point, but has now been restored and recovered on one end.

If anyone hears where this amp is please contact me through Youtube!!!

All that said I hope you dig the tone of my '59 burst through the stack in these videos. Those were the days. GK

62_1_b.jpg

0a_1.jpg

a4_1.jpg

Allinoneplace.jpg

GoodMove.jpg

Last edited:

doubletalkinjive

Reaction score
WOW! Holy sh**!!! This is so cool! You played a real burst through a fullstack back when you were a teen! That is mean rock n' roll man and probably every guitarplayers dream!:thumb:

poeman33

Reaction score
Wish I had video like this of my old days. Very cool. You hair is as big as your Marshall stack too! Gotta love the eighties.

Robertf

Reaction score
Hey Glen!

Great vids and playing. Thanks for posting them. I hope you get your amp back!

Rob

Geetarpicker

Reaction score
UPDATE on the amp. I just talked with the last known seller. Even though we haven't turned up info on the next buyer he told me he had restored the cabinet. It still had a fan cut into the side back in '04, but he says he filled the hole in with plywood and recovered that end before he sold it. So, that identifier is now hidden a bit.

It still has the somewhat rare rotary ohms selector, and is definately serial # 5297A so folks check the back of your small box 50s!!!

a4_1.jpg

DragonSarc

Reaction score
sweet vids man you play wicked specially with the 59lp and trainwrek amp with can you hear it ring SWEET ive been playing it in loop and never get tired wow I wish i can play like that LOVE the sweet vintage fat sound :hippie: rock on Glen :headbanger:

Wally Dow

Reaction score
Glen .... I am impressed, and I have seen most of the great guitarists live and or jammed with many of them.

You kick proverbial ass.

crunchdaddy

Reaction score
Great Videos!!! Love the tone of those small box 50's...have one myself circa 69 / 70. Good luck on your search.

Sir Punk

Reaction score
please don't tell me that you sold that LP.

right now it must be worth $$$$$$$$$

Geetarpicker

Reaction score
Thanks!

Back then I had 4 pedals and a homemade power supply for them. MXR micro chorus, BIG JAM flanger, Cry Baby wah, and an on/off switch to change guitars. I didn't use any boosts or overdrives. The amp was set on: volume & bass 10, treble and presence 6, mids 4 and I'm pretty sure I was using a Scholz attenuator maybe a couple clicks back but still I was playing pretty loud since it was two cabs with 30 watters.

crunchdaddy

Reaction score
So what is up with the SLP? I'm sure that it is not just a decoration...what role was it playing on the videos? Were we hearing it along with the 50? Would kick it in for solos? None the less...great tone and videos.

Last edited:

psphill27

Reaction score
Awesome stuff Glen...takes me back to the rock days. I was 18 in 1986, so you got a couple years on me. Funny thing is...I was playing magic man with my 10 year old daughter in the basement today. She's getting pretty killer on the drums (plays guitar and flute also).

And as for your questions Sir Punk...looks like he still has the '59 LP from some other postings I saw on his site.

Keep rockin' man. You're only as old as you feel.

Pete:fingersx:

crunchdaddy

Reaction score
So what is up with the SLP? I'm sure that it is not just a decoration...what role was it playing on the videos? Were we hearing it along with the 50? Would kick it in for solos? None the less...great tone and videos.

I'm still wondering about that 100 watt SLP (Super Lead). Do you still have that jewell or did you sell it too? Again, I love the vids. I was 23 when those were filmed...brings back a lot of great memories of the same era.

Anyway, Keep on Rockin!!! I still am!

Geetarpicker

Reaction score
The other amp under the small box was a '75 Marshall 50. I bought that one in high school for a token $150. It had a bent up front panel so the owner let it go cheap. I got most of the bend out of the panel and used the amp as a backup. I don't have that one either anymore. Currently I have a '68 Plexi superbass, and am currently building a Metroamp kit to be a replica of my '70 small box 50. Yes, thank god I kept the Les Paul!

luekemeyer

Reaction score
Nice... In 1981, I was 17 and we had a guy in our band with an old Les Paul and a older Marshall super lead. Neither one of us could play the guitar like you.

smb_

Reaction score
Hahah sick job covering 'magic man'!! ...that kicked ass!
Good luck on the amp hunt too!