• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

marshall 8x10 cabinet

• Thread starter Mbird6854
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mbird6854

Reaction score
hey all i've been researching on marshall 8x10's. i'm gonna go pick a model 1990 up on saturday from a guy a couple hours from where i live. It's all original from 1971. Was wondering if anyone can shed any light on how many ohms it should be wired to and the tone. I hear a lot of mixed reviews. Some people compare it to ampeg 8x10's with the low end, other's say that the mids are completely scooped. I'm looking for a full and round cabinet and have always loved the look of the 8x10's. I would just love to hear your opinions on the matter of tone.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I've never tried one, but I find it hard to believe that the mids are scooped and it has more low end than an Ampeg bass cab...

I would think just the opposite, plenty of mids and highs, and needing a little help in the lows.

I use to run my 1987 with a heavy duty 4x10, and those tens seem to tighten up the bass a little.

Mbird6854

Reaction score
great, i'm gonna get it tomorrow and i am stoked! I love mids and beautiful highs

SG~GUY

Reaction score
i had one,...loved it!...still regret selling it!...im in the middle of building one!...i built the 8x12 on my avatar,....

Mbird6854

Reaction score
On the way to pick it up RIGHT NOW, guy is asking 500 for it! Stoked

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was originally 8 ohms
I love my 8x10 cab,although, I found the 7442 speakers in mine to be quite bright / tinny . In the end I robbed a couple of 1965 cabs of G 10L 35s,much improved on the mid / bottom end and not brittle on top ,been rockin those about 10 years
Sounds great with the 2203 ...or anything you put into it
Can be heard for a half a mile ...

sweaty v

Reaction score
I've just restored one.I love it. Its very full sounding with a nice bass response. My Hiwatt really works the 10's in the box. I thought it would be thin sounding but am pleasantly surprised with its full tonal range.

Attachments

• IMG_3222_zpsa3963a71.jpg
    IMG_3222_zpsa3963a71.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3237_zps11ce2ccb.jpg
    IMG_3237_zps11ce2ccb.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 40

Mbird6854

Reaction score
Just picked it up and started messing with it! It sounds HUGE and LOUD. My only problem with it is it feels a bit muddy, the high end isn't as chimey and it's a duller sound. Any tips to help achieve a chimier sound? I have an orange pp112 that will do an amazing "pure" sounding clean, and I'm trying to figure a way to make my 8x10 do the same

SG~GUY

Reaction score
well it's obvious this calls for an 10/12x8 KINGDOM~

-if ya wanna party with the big dawgs,....ya cant be pee~ing with the pups!-

sinner 13

Reaction score
Damn it at to hell....Now I want one.....

does anyone build repros of these?

because there is no way I am paying more for my cab than I did my head.

TheJesterman

Reaction score
hey all i've been researching on marshall 8x10's. i'm gonna go pick a model 1990 up on saturday from a guy a couple hours from where i live. It's all original from 1971. Was wondering if anyone can shed any light on how many ohms it should be wired to and the tone. I hear a lot of mixed reviews. Some people compare it to ampeg 8x10's with the low end, other's say that the mids are completely scooped. I'm looking for a full and round cabinet and have always loved the look of the 8x10's. I would just love to hear your opinions on the matter of tone.
Proud owner of a 8x10, from 1966 though, but still the same HUGE sound, bitty but just so crisp and has the right mids to cut in the mix and with a band.

Looks great man! All i need is a jmp 50 or JTM 45 for my head though :)

VanR

Reaction score
Mine was originally 8 ohms
I love my 8x10 cab,although, I found the 7442 speakers in mine to be quite bright / tinny . In the end I robbed a couple of 1965 cabs of G 10L 35s,much improved on the mid / bottom end and not brittle on top ,been rockin those about 10 years
Sounds great with the 2203 ...or anything you put into it
Can be heard for a half a mile ...

That looks like it might be the Overton Park Shell. Played there a few times. Grew up in Memphis.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like it might be the Overton Park Shell. Played there a few times. Grew up in Memphis.

Lotta Marshall Legends played in there (James Gang,Allmans,Deep Purp) ....I HAVE to use that cab everytime ...to pay homage

My buddy said he could hear me at his crib by University Circle

SG~GUY

Reaction score
i've just restored one.i love it. Its very full sounding with a nice bass response. My hiwatt really works the 10's in the box. I thought it would be thin sounding but am pleasantly surprised with its full tonal range.

dude!! Ya got almost every speaker ever!!!

Curious why ya didnt go with a couple greenbacks

sweaty v

Reaction score
I know it looks like many different speakers but really only just 2 types. The WGS are the same, just have 2 different stickers on them. All specs are the same for the WGSers. Its an awesome cabinet, i'll post some more pics when I can.
Cheers