Marshall = Addiction?

• Thread starter ReWind James
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ReWind James

Reaction score
I'm 30 years old and have been playing guitar since I was 10 or so. I've had a wide selection of amps over my days and have been exposed to many more while working at music stores when I was younger. Somehow I never owned a (proper) Marshall until last weekend when I bought a 4211.

I played a 2205 tonight that I just can't stop thinking about. It's a 85 or 86 with the light brown grill cloth. I've played a good selection of 800s, but this one stole my heart. It's super creamy and crunchy all at the same time. Without question it's the most amazing amp I've ever plugged into. I'm going back to play it again tomorrow and I don't see how I could possibly not bring it home without it forever being "the one that got away" in my mind.

None in 20 years, then two in two weeks. Have I become an adict!? Will this just keep happening until I'm a wreck of a man living in a shelter on the street made of 1960A cabs heated by EL34s and drake transformers?

Manton

Reaction score
None in 20 years, then two in two weeks. Have I become an adict!? Will this just keep happening until I'm a wreck of a man living in a shelter on the street made of 1960A cabs heated by EL34s and drake transformers?

Yes.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Hi cooljuk welcome to the Marshall-holic Anyonymous forum!

Join the rest of us addicts. Best addiction to have!

janarn

Reaction score
I've been playing for over 30 years. Had different amps, but never a Marshall.
I used a '63 Vox AC30 for many years, ans decided to buy a new Marshall
a couple of years ago. So I bought a JVM 410H and a 1960 Classic cab.
Then I tried a '68 Super Bass. Sold the JVM and bought the Super Bass.
Now I have four Plexies '65 - '68 , and three cabs '66 - '68,
and I wonder why I didn't play those old Marshalls before.

They give me exactly the sound I want, --- and yes,

I'm a Marshall addict now. Welcome, it will not stop,
and I don't think there's any medicin that helps.

Jesstaa

Reaction score
A Marshall addiction is the strongest addiction, you fall in love with the amps.

I'm at the point where I can't stand to be away from my Marshall, even though it's currently out of action.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been adicted to Marshalls since 69,
it doesnt get better

bloosman1

Reaction score
I chased "That sound" for thirty years, and finally got my half stack in '03. I am now a happy camper!

pinto79

Reaction score
I've been tempted by others, especially an Engl lately, but I'm a Marshall guy at heart and I'm sticking with them.

Even when I was using Line 6 for everything, it was always the Marshall models that did it for me.

ReWind James

Reaction score
Got my fix.

The 2205 is sitting on new 4X12 next to me. Ahhhhhhh...... much better.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Awesome! Please post pics so we can 'jones' right along with you!

oldGNRfan

Reaction score
oldGNRfan: "Hi, I'm oldGNRfan, and I'm a Marshall addict."
Support Group: "Hi oldGNRfan."

Seriously, Marshall rules. Go JCM 800!

ReWind James

Reaction score
Awesome! Please post pics so we can 'jones' right along with you!

As requested....

IMG_2119.jpg

I couldn't find a matching cab. I played about 8 (used) 4X12s with this amp before I decided on that one. It sounded the best, even though they all supposedly had the same speakers in them. I might seek out a matching "blond" faded grill cloth cab in the future, but I don't think it looks bad on the black cab until when/if I find one. It sounds great... like really really great and that's what counts to me!

Now keep your eyes off my stash! I neeeeeed it, man.

ReWind James

Reaction score
Nice I love those 2205s. Awesome amps.

Thanks! I'm really digging it myself.

I played around with a few flavors of preamp tubes last night including some old Telefunkens and Mullards. I'm amazed how responsive to different tubes this amp is! I can hear tube differences in other amps, but in this one the differences jump out and scream at you. I'm still not sure what I like in it though. More playing to do...yaaa! :dude:

oldtimer

Reaction score
I too am hooked,I've been playing for 35 yrs, and have been seeking"THAT" sound,I have an AVT 50H W/1 V-30,after using mostly f****r amps thru the years. My main guitar is an SG special(modified), The neck pick-up is from a LP STD.(as i was told when i bought it),And it just loves this amp!

MKB

Reaction score
I've been trying hard for almost 30 years now to like amps other than Marshalls, but none other have THE magic. Got a 100W Vintage Modern and a slant front seventies 4X12, and am happy now. It is an addiction. Why fight it?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are sick! I'm glad I'm not like you...:slap:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...sometimes I pet my Marshall when I walk by but that's normal right? Doesn't mean I'm addicted!:hmm:

spooky joe

Reaction score
As requested....

IMG_2119.jpg

I couldn't find a matching cab. I played about 8 (used) 4X12s with this amp before I decided on that one. It sounded the best, even though they all supposedly had the same speakers in them. I might seek out a matching "blond" faded grill cloth cab in the future, but I don't think it looks bad on the black cab until when/if I find one. It sounds great... like really really great and that's what counts to me!

Now keep your eyes off my stash! I neeeeeed it, man.

Seriously nice set up cooljuk.
Sure it sounds awesome.
Never thought i'd get GAS quite as bad as i have in past 12 months but my addiction worsens by the hour.
Whatever you do don't try a JMP 2203/2204:) It'll lead to all sorts of wailing and crying:naughty:
'Bout to get a JMP 1987.
Rock on.