Marshall Amp Recommendations?

Shae201

Reaction score
That sounds great. The only thing ATM is im not buying yet. Around July I will be buying.
What's the tone like on that 800? And do you know of any SLX amp heads being sold?
The tone is of my 1985 and 1986 and 1988 2205s are organic and not compressed but very open gain when pushed. I have an JVM 205H and it can get ballpark to the 800 sound. There is a guy selling a 900 slx on Craigslist in Louisville my by me for $450

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
You're on the right tracks looking at SLX's , right sound and right money . Failing that a DR will get the job done no problem and even cheaper .

Thrashman93

Reaction score
The tone is of my 1985 and 1986 and 1988 2205s are organic and not compressed but very open gain when pushed. I have an JVM 205H and it can get ballpark to the 800 sound. There is a guy selling a 900 slx on Craigslist in Louisville my by me for $450
Awesome about that slx...I'll have to wait and see before I can buy anything. Wonder if that guy ships or if something could be arranged to have it sent to me. Hm.

Thrashman93

Reaction score
You're on the right tracks looking at SLX's , right sound and right money . Failing that a DR will get the job done no problem and even cheaper .
Well the dual reverbs have diode clipping and not a full tube gain sound. I don't intend to use pedals, unless needed. I perfer the full tube sound. That's a real good sound.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Using an OD pedal with the gain at zero and level or volume up on it IS using tubes, it's overdriving the snot out of the pre amp section. Nothing wrong there. It can tighten things up too. If you can find a good TSL you will have 2 higher gain channels that can be pushed further with a pedal as opposed to the DSL Crunch channel which MUST be pushed to get you to 80s metal and beyond. Should be some good deals around, look for a post 2005 TSL122 if you want a combo.
Or JavM.
Or 6100 series if one came up that cheap. 6101 combo with an additional cabinet.

Shae201

Reaction score
I have used many pedals to drive quiet a few amps in my time. The important thing I look for when tone searching especially with what I hear in my head is starting off with a good platform (amp). I much prefer OD pedals over distortion pedals as to compliment your amps tone while giving it just a little push. Right now im using a Walrus 385 Projector OD through an 800, its pretty killer for 80's metal tones.

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
I always have an OD pedal in the front end for amps, I love that little push. JVM or SLX both are gain monsters but I still back the gain off just a bit and stick the OD in the front.

Shae201

Reaction score
I always have an OD pedal in the front end for amps, I love that little push. JVM or SLX both are gain monsters but I still back the gain off just a bit and stick the OD in the front.
I hear that...you said it right, that's the combination that produces that snarly vicious organic Marshall bite that so many of us love.

Thrashman93

Reaction score
I have separate question about Cabinets.
I am thinking on coupling the amp head next month with a 2x12 cab. A marshall to match.
I think Greenbacks would suit me nicely, or Vintage 30's. But my main question is, how exactly am I supposed to connect the 2x12 to the amp head appropriately? and what should I look for, specifically with the input/ouput jacks on the JCM 900 SLX head that has (4)16 Ohm, and 8 Ohm jacks. I ask this noob question because I never had a tube amp or halfstack before. Haha.

Shae201

Reaction score
That's a great question. If you buy a cab that's loaded with 2 16 ohm speakers wired series you would choose the 2x8 ohm selection on your amp. Your matching impedance because of you don't it can affect your OT.

Thrashman93

Reaction score
That's a great question. If you buy a cab that's loaded with 2 16 ohm speakers wired series you would choose the 2x8 ohm selection on your amp. Your matching impedance because of you don't it can affect your OT.
Okay. Thanks, I will be reviving this thread next month to ask more legit questions when money is in hand. I'm thinking of the JCM 900 SLX and a Marshall 2x12 cab with G12T's at 75 Watts. I think that would be okay. I have read about some things with the wattage of speakers having to go over your max amp output?. I mean speakers will be at around 75 watts or 65 Watts anyways.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Well the dual reverbs have diode clipping and not a full tube gain sound. I don't intend to use pedals, unless needed. I perfer the full tube sound. That's a real good sound.
Same with the original jube series ( not sure about the reissues ) , you don't hear many people complaining about their tone do you ?

BillW

Reaction score
I am thinking on coupling the amp head next month with a 2x12 cab. A marshall to match.
I think Greenbacks would suit me nicely, or Vintage 30's.

I have a JVM410H and DSL15H with a Marshall 2x12 "1936" cab that used to have stock G12T-75 speakers and now has Vintage 30's. At home in my practice room, I was never that happy with the cab, in part because it's so directional and also I couldn't crank it up too much. From most positions in the room it doesn't sound good. It's probably good in a larger space. I'm happier with a open-back 2x12 cabinet with Vintage 30's, it's less directional and fills the room better.

Good luck! I suggest trying several things before making a final decision - use a place with good return policy.

Nmoc strat

Reaction score
One more for the JVM , and the 410h , not the 2-- line, you will want the OD1 orange sound for that classic Rock / Metal tone you're after, and the OD2 for every Thrash Metal need you got.

See my post on "Theres any other Amp as good as the JVM".

Nmoc strat

Reaction score
Ah, and regardless of the model you choose, go for Head and Cab, instead of a combo. You can get a used Marshall Cab (JCM900 or so) for relatively cheap, and its worth it, nothing Rocks harder than a 4 x 12 Marshall Cab pushing some air.

And believe me, even if you find a good combo that does the job for now, yo will always be thinking of that half stack that got the sound and feel you want. I've been there.

Solid State

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I went and saw Morbid Angel and stood in front of Trey's JCM900s and they were taking my head off the whole night. My ears are still ringing a bit. I'm pretty excited that you're going to go with such a bad ass amp.

Thrashman93

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I went and saw Morbid Angel and stood in front of Trey's JCM900s and they were taking my head off the whole night. My ears are still ringing a bit. I'm pretty excited that you're going to go with such a bad ass amp.
Yeah I'm sure I'm going for the slx. If I can find a good matching cab somewhere then I'll have my July shopping list all set. Lol.

Thanks for all the replies people, I appreciate the input and suggestions.

Thrashman93

Reaction score
I play the exact same music as you do. Im in a band that plays some early prog type metal and thrash like Mercyful Fate and Maiden to Rush and even early Death like leprosy. I jave been playing the jcm 800 2205s which have a little more gain on tap than the single channel 800's but the single channels are saw raw and awesome too. Boosting the front end with a little more OD like an SD1 can get me Sepultura sound. 2205 are the cheaper amps in the 800 family. I actually am selling a 2x12 1988 800 combo that I could sell you close to your budget if interested. Tha layer models had even more gain like this one. All original, great amp. I think you should go with a channel switcher 800 in the 2205 family, thats my preference. Good luck.
Oh yeah, and shae201, what model is your jcm 800? I'd like to look into that too while I'm at it. See some demos on YouTube like I did for other amps.