Marshall Code " Patch " Sharing ( Longhand For Now )

• Thread starter mazzefr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

culpster

Reaction score
Hey guys I am working on a good solid Guns N Roses Rhythm tone. I feel I am getting close but I always want suggestions on how I can improve it. Here is what I have so far. Again this is a general Guns tone meant to be played on the bridge pickup. I am using a Les Paul Standard with Super Distortion in the bridge.

Amp_zps8hsdo23w.jpg

Try the 1960X (greenbacks), Presence and Resonance at about 3, Gate 2.5, Dist pedal: 1.3, 5.0, 5.0, Spring or Stadium reverb
General%20setting_zpsukvid4pt.jpg

Distortion_zpsguy6lnmu.jpg

Fern

Reaction score
Hey cluster,
I'm new to this Marshall Forum and I don't think we have spoken before (Akron U days??)
You must have me mistaken with someone else but lets keep the Code 50 dialogue open. Great amp...lots to explore...lots to learn...lots to fine tune...if i could only stick to using one guitar maybe it would be easier.

culpster

Reaction score
Could be, Are you originally from the Willoughby, Ohio area?
If not, you are the spitting image of another guy that goes by the same name LOL.
I use two different types of guitar also. Makes it more fun.

Fern

Reaction score
Could be, Are you originally from the Willoughby, Ohio area?
If not, you are the spitting image of another guy that goes by the same name LOL.
I use two different types of guitar also. Makes it more fun.
I'm in Ontario - Canada

AJU

Reaction score
Ok I got a pedl yesterday and have been checking it out so I wondered if it would be useful to know its initial defaults etc so here goes. Will help me perhaps if I screw it up.

What I did notice as I did this using Gateway on my android phone was that I think any changes made using switch mode seem to be maintained but not saved once machine turned off

i.e if original "pedal distortion" was turned off but then turned on by switch mode then it stays on for that setting until the amp is turned off - in fact I'm guessing if one pressed the save button either on the amp or on the gateway it could be saved off.

The gateway app seems to react very promptly to any changes from the pedl which is good as well.

as an aside the manual is not that intuitive but sitting there with the PEDL and gateway helps enormously although I have yet to actually change a preset to my liking other than on the fly and then not saving it.

Last edited:

Plectrum

Reaction score
My pedal arrived this afternoon. It's easy enough to use but I'm not going to use it live tonight. I'll have a bit of a practice at home first. Must get my skates. My audience awaits. Both of them LOL :D

Reactions: AJU

AJU

Reaction score
My pedal arrived this afternoon. It's easy enough to use but I'm not going to use it live tonight. I'll have a bit of a practice at home first. Must get my skates. My audience awaits. Both of them LOL :D
You are right its easy enough to use if you are going up through the range but back down is a bit slower as you have to wait for the pedl to kick in. I guess as long as you plan you gig settings in song order it would work. I think the preset option is quite good but haven't found yet how to add/remove reverb options.

Fern

Reaction score
I know Marshall is planning on releasing some sort of tone sharing spot for users to share their settings (read that somewhere, can't remember where) but until then can anyone recommend me sites where i can find rig rundowns and tone setting for well know guitarists just so i can have a base to work on something remotely close to it?

Plectrum

Reaction score
I think the preset option is quite good but haven't found yet how to add/remove reverb options.

You'd have to re-assign one of the switches to reverb to do that. Personally I can't me doing anything other than perhaps switching a distortion pedal (or perhaps auto-wah) in or out mid-song.

culpster

Reaction score
I know Marshall is planning on releasing some sort of tone sharing spot for users to share their settings (read that somewhere, can't remember where) but until then can anyone recommend me sites where i can find rig rundowns and tone setting for well know guitarists just so i can have a base to work on something remotely close to it?
Best place I have found is going to Youtube and typing in the search. or type my (amp name) amp settings in the search. It will certainly get you in the ballpark.

TKB

Reaction score
Just got my Code 50. Wowzer!!! I am not sure why people are already talking modifications because I used the 1st preset (00 - EL34) and after I shut off the mod I do believe this is a keeper. I cannot get over how great this amp sounds...in a 25 pound BOX!!! The folks at Marshall really deserve a pat on the back for this one. I can't wait to edit a few of these presets in and see if they sound better than what I'm hearing from the stock amp. Thanks for posting guys and I'll keep checking back. How could Heaven possibly be better than this? Or maybe I died in my sleep and I'm in Heaven...yeah...that's it! :)

TKB

Reaction score
Here's my shot at a preset. Seems to work good for Crazy Train, AC/DC's Problem Child and Thin Lizzys The Rocker and Jailbreak:
I took the 01-Plexi Classic and re-edited it as follows:
PReFX - Distortion, (mode) GUV (drive) 6.0 (tone) 4.0 (level) 5.0
AMP - Plexi, (gate) 2.5
MOD - (off)
DEL - Studio, (time) 350 (feedback) 3.0 (freq) 3.4 (level) 5.5
REV - Room, (decay) 4.0 (pre) 6.6 (tone) 2.7 (level) 3.1
PWR - Classic Marshall 100 watt, (pres) 5.4 (res) 3.6
CAB - 1936V
gain,bass,mid,treble and volume were left at the original settings in the Plexi Classic Preset but these may need adjustments depending on your weapon of mass destruction. I used a Kramer Barretta Special and it suits me fine. One of the best Plexi sounds I've ever heard without having an actual plexi cranked. Please be gentle on me if this doesn't work for you. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Rock On...

TKB

Reaction score
take in mind, these patches were set using full range speakers as i recorded them using the line out
they probably need some additional tweaking when using the stock speakers from the code amplifiers, especially the presence and resonance settings
i also advise to just go crazy and change to a different amp, poweramp and/or cabinet, to discover more tones :)

Very impressive posts John. I tried to dial in your "Brown sound" but my results were different. I have the 50 watt CODE but that shouldn't matter. I will try again because I must have missed something. Also I used the speaker to judge the quality (and I thought yours was spot on "EDDIE") but maybe I should try the line out. Thanks for the post.

TKB

Reaction score
WOW...a lot of CODE hate going on in the MARSHALLFORM posts under other headings. Some of the reasons are so asinine that it embarrasses me to be of the same race. "How can it be any good if it only costs $250".....come on....how can that guy be serious. Bottom line - if it sounds good, it is good! Nuff said!

AJU

Reaction score
Yeah sadly there is but for me - I am just a bedroom player of some 50 years - despite the niggles its the absolute "dogs" and seems to react just like my old tube amp that blew up in the 70's, at that time it had to be consigned to the trash heap as the support was way less than these days.

I played acoustics from then on until the last couple of years and its taken a lot of trial and error to find the right amp and guitar for me. I tried a lot of amps in a lot of shops on my travels and being from the 70's a marshall was where I wanted to be so this one came at just the right time for me and my needs. I just love it with my acoustic as well with all the patches dialled out and just a bit of chorus or flange dialled in.

So all in all I am for it and whilst I may be critical of marshall and their lack of anything seeming to be addressed I think this will progress over the next couple of years into a winner. For me it already is. Cmon its £169 for a code 25 over here, thats a very good price for what its capable of.

TKB

Reaction score
I made a RATT Preset based on the JCM 800 with Vintage 30s. It's a little buzzy going direct. I guess the speaker will take some highs out because it sounds really good through my speaker. It was pretty much flawless to record with. I heard a lot of complaints so I thought I would try it. Any input is welcome except for the "you suck" comments coming from the 40 year old wannabees still living in their Mom's basement. I will post the preset if anyone wants it. Rock on...

Sean95m

Reaction score
I made a RATT Preset based on the JCM 800 with Vintage 30s. It's a little buzzy going direct. I guess the speaker will take some highs out because it sounds really good through my speaker. It was pretty much flawless to record with. I heard a lot of complaints so I thought I would try it. Any input is welcome except for the "you suck" comments coming from the 40 year old wannabees still living in their Mom's basement. I will post the preset if anyone wants it. Rock on...

That sounds great! Lack of communication. Great song! If you could post your settings that would be great.