Marshall CODE100H & MIDI Controller

Ziggy75

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum (and I'm inexperienced with MIDI!)
I would like to know if it is possible to change presets in a CODE100H via a looper / switcher with MIDI type BOSS-ES-5 or MUSICOM LAB EFX LE
I found these specifications: CODE-Midi-Implementation-Chart-V2.1
but I don't know how to enter the various steps in programming the looper switcher. Has anyone tried it ????
Thank you and sorry for my English (I'm Italian!)

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
It looks as though the MIDI capabilities of a CODE amp are only accessible through the USB interface.
So you would normally be expected to connect the CODE to a PC for control.
I did find this YouTube video (in French) about controlling a CODE with MIDI using a 'KENTON MIDI USB Host MkII'.

https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/

This may get you halfway towards a MIDI switching solution.

Ziggy75

Reaction score
Hi SkyMonkey, thanks for the reply!
I saw the video too (I sent a comment on youtube asking for explanations, but I still haven't received any response).
I would like to buy a looper / switcher to manage my pedals and change presets to CODE100H, but first I want to be sure of its operation.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The controller in the video is a Rocktron MIDI Mate. You would probably have to look at the MIDI implementation charts for the Rocktron and the BOSS ES5 to see if they will do the same switching.
You may have to take a chance with the Kenton (which is fairly cheap) and try a MIDI controller with it.
I think the BOSS ES5 will work but working it all out may not be a simple task.
Does somewhere like Thomann have a returns policy if a MIDI switcher doesn't work with the Kenton/CODE setup?
Thomann sells the Kenton and the BOSS ES5.
Try contacting Kenton for more information on compatibility. (https://kentonuk.com/contact-us/)

And also can I mention that for the price of this setup (€510) you could buy another CODE100H and 2 matching cabinets.
It's a massively expensive switching solution for a fairly cheap amp!

Ziggy75

Reaction score
I will look at the MIDI implementation charts for the Rocktron and the BOSS ES5 to see if they will do the same switching and I will try to contact KENTON!
Thanks so much!!!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
This is a video on just the Kenton:

It sounds like it should do what you want. The CODE only needs simple Program Change messages to switch patches.

Ziggy75

Reaction score
This is a video on just the Kenton:

It sounds like it should do what you want. The CODE only needs simple Program Change messages to switch patches.

If you are sure that the CODE only needs simple Program Change messages to change patches, then I'm pretty sure it should work!
Thanks again!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Whoa!!
I am sure of nothing!
I own none of the equipment you are using or want to try.
Looking at the setup in the first video, he looks (because I don't speak French) like he is simply changing patches by Program Change messages sent from the Rocktron > Kenton > CODE.

All I am saying is I think this should be achievable with the BOSS ES5 in place of the Rocktron.
It could be a costly experiment to try (and fail at) unless you have a returns policy on the BOSS and Kenton equipment
(i.e. Thomann), or a guarantee from Kenton that the MIDI USB Host MkII will work with the BOSS ES5 and CODE (unlikely).

The only MIDI I use is the very simple DSL40CR switching via a BOSS GT-100. Any deeper into MIDI and I am lost.
Read the manuals for all the equipment!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I will look at the MIDI implementation charts for the Rocktron and the BOSS ES5 to see if they will do the same switching and I will try to contact KENTON!
Thanks so much!!!
Welcome to the forum my Italian brother, you are in good hands here with your questions.
Sadly I have no experience with this particular amp.
Cheers Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are a number of code threads in this forum, search about and post some of your questions in one or more, some may give you a bit of grief at first by opening a dead thread, but it will grab the attention of more of the code owners here.
Mitch