Marshall: Coming Full Circle 25yr Saga......

• Thread starter DarrenTD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenTD

Reaction score
Howdy All! New to the forum and new Marshall owner after a very long time being away. Here's the introduction I posted at the Marshall Roadhouse. I later remembered that there was an inconsistency about the 25yr part because I did own and use a JMP-1 EL34 100/100 for about a year in the late 90's.

My Story:

My first real amp was a Marshall JCM800 2205 I purchased new in 1986. I absolutely loved that amp but caught the Mesa bug in 1989 when the first Mk IV's came out. I've had a bad case of GAS for a number of years and have tried many different rigs since then, most notably the Diezel and Fractal Audio stuff from around 2007-2011. My core rig for the last fifteen years has been the Mesa Triaxis with a 50/50 poweramp, and I've always defaulted back to that eventually. This last summer I used the Triaxis and also a Stiletto Deuce in an A/B configuration.

I tried to go back to Marshall in 1996 and ordered a JCM2000 TSL half-stack. To be honest, I absolutely hated that amp and sold the head as soon as I could. I've never looked at Marshall again until now.

I kept the 1960B that I ordered with the TSL back in the 90's and have used it with various amps since then such as Boogies, Diezel's, Bogners, etc. The cab sounds really good with certain amps, and lately I've been thinking that an actual Marshall head sure would look good on it. Well, that and the fact that I've been waxing nostalgic for some classic 70's & 80's sounds that I remember getting so well with my old JCM800.

After doing some research, the amp I found that I liked the clips of, and sounded like it would fit what I'm looking for was the 2466 Vintage Modern. I purchased one off of ebay a few days ago and am looking forward to trying it out when it gets here today.

I don't know if this amp will work out for me or not, but I'm really hoping it does. It would be really cool to come full circle after 25 years to the brand that started it all for me! :uk:

Anyway, that's my story so far. I figured I'd add to my introduction with a clip of the cover band I'm in playing an event this summer. Looking forward to trying the VM out at these gigs next year! :shred2:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB0-48zzWrc[/ame]

peace,
-d

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
There are only a couple of new Marshall's that I have played and been impressed with. The VM was one of them it is a great sounding amp..

DarrenTD

Reaction score
Thanks all for the welcome!

I've had the 2466 VM for a few days now and have been experimenting with various setups. There are things I love about this amp and things I don't. My ears are not used to the modern marshall high gain so that's the area I've been working on with the VM. I've got a pretty good sound going on HDR with a BB Preamp boosting a tad that sounds close to the 2205 I had in the 80's or a Jubilee. Those are my favorite Marshall high gain tones and I'm getting closer to those the more I experiment.

I absolutely love how this amp cleans up with the volume knob of the guitar! And I think the mid-gain and clean on the verge of breakup tone is fantastic! I'm glad I came back to the Black & Gold!

Latest posts