Marshall Dsl 100 Big Sound Thoughts?

• Thread starter John Wilde
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John Wilde

Reaction score
Hey just some thoughts looking for feedback. Long time Mesa guy with 3 cds under my belt. It seems that my sound ended up being more of a JCM 800 with some hair on it. Needed a back up for tours so I get a DSL 100 a few years ago. Now when I do live shows I find myself using more. Crazy I know. Guitar wise using Les Paul Custom with EMGs a little chorus and delay in loop. Been using the Gain channel it sounded cool. Screwing around at practice I switched to Classic channel which I thought was more for clean. I max the gain set volume at 3 and holy shit PPOW! Huge sound then I put Boss SD1 in front and I am saying wtf..? This thing is damn near a JCM 800. It maybe me being a tone chaser or not really know what I am doing but is or has anyone had this happen? Been reading that DSL was the bastard product for Marshall not really a Marshall being built in Vietnam or wherever. I am really close to getting another just for the heck of it. Anyone got thoughts on this?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey just some thoughts looking for feedback. Long time Mesa guy with 3 cds under my belt. It seems that my sound ended up being more of a JCM 800 with some hair on it. Needed a back up for tours so I get a DSL 100 a few years ago. Now when I do live shows I find myself using more. Crazy I know. Guitar wise using Les Paul Custom with EMGs a little chorus and delay in loop. Been using the Gain channel it sounded cool. Screwing around at practice I switched to Classic channel which I thought was more for clean. I max the gain set volume at 3 and holy shit PPOW! Huge sound then I put Boss SD1 in front and I am saying wtf..? This thing is damn near a JCM 800. It maybe me being a tone chaser or not really know what I am doing but is or has anyone had this happen? Been reading that DSL was the bastard product for Marshall not really a Marshall being built in Vietnam or wherever. I am really close to getting another just for the heck of it. Anyone got thoughts on this?
Hell yes brother, I have been doing this with your amps little brother, the 40c’s, and I have more than a pair of them! Cheers Mitch

BanditPanda

Reaction score
The majority of DSL owners will second you.
Perhaps the majority of them will also be Ultra Gain fans..
The Classic channel fans, like me, love it.
You get that classic Marshall clean and gain it up as desired.
Fantastic pedal platform.
A set of 'em will be awesome.
BP

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
And for another cool set of tones try these settings on red 2 treb 4.5, mids 6, bass 4 renosence 5, presence 5, gain 2.5/3 all dial settings not clock! Volume to taste but 3 thru 5 really shines, clean boost is your preference! Cheers Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
The coolest thing about the green crunch is the bite , and slice through the mix it has! At least that’s how my ears hear it! Cheers Mitch

mcblink

Reaction score
Yep. Green channel, gain up, tubescreamer. I'll run the TS drive pretty low, level up

John Wilde

Reaction score
Used Ibanez TS still was bad ass. I am really impressed not sure why for $800 or so US this thing ain’t being used by everyone. I am still screwing with it and I have to be honest love the tone Zakk has on No More Tears including solo tone so I guess I am being a tone bitch but the sound he has is huge. So what the hell but I adjust it as needed. I got to use EQ better and Presense and Res knobs to really crush it

mcblink

Reaction score
Used Ibanez TS still was bad ass. I am really impressed not sure why for $800 or so US this thing ain’t being used by everyone. I am still screwing with it and I have to be honest love the tone Zakk has on No More Tears including solo tone so I guess I am being a tone bitch but the sound he has is huge. So what the hell but I adjust it as needed. I got to use EQ better and Presense and Res knobs to really crush it
I really like the resonance knob too

John Wilde

Reaction score
Yes I will really get into it tonight. I am just surprised that more players have not used the amp. As good as other amps are and there are I keep coming back to that sound in my head. Clean, power driven like a plexi with tight low end and crunch,that type of pre amp tone that grabs you and says it will be ok. And allows you to have a really good full body lead tone that just keeps going but ripping your head off. I have to Marshall DSL 100 is a great place to be.

texhex

Reaction score
Green Crunch, Gain 10, Volume anywhere above 3 (yeah it’s loud) with a TS or SD type drive at low gain, max volume and you get a thick meaty loud punchy clear Marshall sound. Pretty much any Marshall cab (V30s, GBs, G12-75, etc.) Sounds fatter than the Red channels.

People hate because they are either using it below 3 volume (fizz city) or they don’t like where it’s made. This is with regards to the 100H, haven’t played the new HR but it’s probably not a lot different.

Used prices on the 100H are still very good. You could buy three, run in stereo and keep one on the shelf as a backup and still save $$$. Used amps though can be hit or miss.

The 100H is a great amp for what it is. Tough to beat.

end user

Reaction score
Green Crunch, Gain 10, Volume anywhere above 3 (yeah it’s loud) with a TS or SD type drive at low gain, max volume and you get a thick meaty loud punchy clear Marshall sound. Pretty much any Marshall cab (V30s, GBs, G12-75, etc.) Sounds fatter than the Red channels.

People hate because they are either using it below 3 volume (fizz city) or they don’t like where it’s made. This is with regards to the 100H, haven’t played the new HR but it’s probably not a lot different.

Used prices on the 100H are still very good. You could buy three, run in stereo and keep one on the shelf as a backup and still save $$$. Used amps though can be hit or miss.

The 100H is a great amp for what it is. Tough to beat.

Yep! I have been saying the same stuff for a bit now to folks complaining about the fizz. You gotta turn em up especially that gain knob. It smooths everything out. I love the whole amp but I never use the red channel because I dont need it. Even with the gain maxed on Green Crunch I just back off my guitar volume knob for cleans. These DSL's are insanely good ya just gotta know how to dial em.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year the need arose for a small and relatively light combo that I could tote around to jams/rehearsals, one with enough oomph to cut through with heavy-handed rock drummers. (I have a killer 4010 combo but it's in great shape and I didn't want it to get banged up. My other combos are either too small or too heavy for my needs)

I ended up getting a DSL40 CST, the one with the 65w Creamback. It's my first DSL and also my first non-USA or UK built amp. It's surprisingly nice with lots of useable tones.

It does have it's limitations....the speaker flubs out at high volumes, and the high gain channel can be pretty fizzy and buzzy. But when it's dialed in to the sweet spots it's a pretty good grab n' go rig. Definitely a keeper.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I will really get into it tonight. I am just surprised that more players have not used the amp. As good as other amps are and there are I keep coming back to that sound in my head. Clean, power driven like a plexi with tight low end and crunch,that type of pre amp tone that grabs you and says it will be ok. And allows you to have a really good full body lead tone that just keeps going but ripping your head off. I have to Marshall DSL 100 is a great place to be.
I am going to bring a clip of the ultra 2 channel, it is at bedroom volume and not up where it shines 3 - up! Cheers Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to bring a clip of the ultra 2 channel, it is at bedroom volume and not up where it shines 3 - up! Cheers Mitch why the dbl down

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
I love the green channel, I use the red as a solo boost