Marshall DSL100...again!

• Thread starter (war)thrash5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
see what i mean.....just 2 blank holes
bothboards001.jpg

tonefreak

Reaction score
I don't understand this misconception with OD2 being bad.

All you need to do is EQ the green the way u like then switch to "workable Gain" (5-6 for me) setting on the OD2.

This is OD2

I've noticed the EQ'ing for Green Crunch and Red Lead 2 are almost identical. I've stopped using lead 1 when I play live for tone consistency.

You have to turn it up to get the full effect since my amp was behind me to the left in the corner, it was a tragically hip song so I couldn't noodle too much.

I'm actually pretty happy with my lead tone. It's still real Marshall but nice and creamy Lead sounds!! My reverb was actually pretty low, the room acoustics we're very fun.

Not sure if I'm going to mod it..BTW

The only pedal I used was a MXR Line Boost thru the effects loop for Soloing
:headbanger::headbanger:
100% DSL

YouTube - solo.avi

Then some more switching from Green to Red

YouTube - Feel Like Making Love - Covered by Remedy

Flat out Red (My other guitar player uses a crate) :(

YouTube - Trooper Raise A Little Hell - (Cover) By Remedy

I don't think it's bad, it's just that OD1 boosted is... Better. IMO. OD2 definitely has it's place, but I tend to like the sound I get out of OD1 boosted better.

I can EQ the clean channel how I like it, switch over to OD1, it sounds nice, boost it, use the tone knob on the pedal to keep it sounding nice, whereas if I EQ it for Clean, and then switch to OD2, It tends to sound muddy. now if I went out and spent money on an EQ pedal (which I need to do anyways), I could fix that, but right now, the only money being spent is being spent on a Talk Box. If my band didn't insist on covering Living on a Prayer, and Living on a Prayer didn't sound so bad with just a wah, I'd have an EQ, buuut instead, I'm buying my Talk Box.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I can find some love in all four modes. I know that there is all kinds of discussion and debate but I will tell ya fellas, I use all four modes more then I care to admit. Could I live without them? Sure, growing up on single channel stuff taught me well about volume control and picking dynamics.
I use the classic channel most of the time for my crunch. It is my go-to setting for 90% of my stuff. There are times where I set it Nashville clean, break out the Strat and have a good ole time with some chikin' pikin'.
Ultra tends to be my "lead boost" channel most of the time and I am pretty sure it stays on 2. I tend to use Lead 1 for that all out insane metal as I think it has a bit more bite.
Most of the time when I have my amp on it is for practice or a gig. Being able to sit with it and just turn knobs and push buttons is a lot of fun. I really don't get to do it enough.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Nope, just a couple of guys not content being in the middle of the pack!

icon_roflmfao.gif

Well, I sure am glad they put away their crates. I guess all the midi stuff and lights and buttons on the 6100 was able to keep them in the comfort zone. :naughty:

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
I can find some love in all four modes. I know that there is all kinds of discussion and debate but I will tell ya fellas, I use all four modes more then I care to admit. Could I live without them? Sure, growing up on single channel stuff taught me well about volume control and picking dynamics.
I use the classic channel most of the time for my crunch. It is my go-to setting for 90% of my stuff. There are times where I set it Nashville clean, break out the Strat and have a good ole time with some chikin' pikin'.
Ultra tends to be my "lead boost" channel most of the time and I am pretty sure it stays on 2. I tend to use Lead 1 for that all out insane metal as I think it has a bit more bite.
Most of the time when I have my amp on it is for practice or a gig. Being able to sit with it and just turn knobs and push buttons is a lot of fun. I really don't get to do it enough.

Dude,

If you like to "turn knobs and push buttons", a 6100 is in a league way above a DSL. The three modes on the 2nd channel are more ground than a DSL can cover. Add Add half power, pentode / triode, low / high compensation and the list goes on!

Truly on a serious note, dont knock a 6100 till you've tried one! I sold my DSL to fund my 6100. And I've never regretted it.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Nuttin' but love Mann!:hippie:
I was real close to getting one a few weeks ago that I thought I could pick up on the cheap but it wasn't ment to be. I have heard two and they sounded completely different. I am assuming that was the different series or whatever the designations are?
So the 6100 and JVM 410H are both on my watch right now.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
I was real close to getting one a few weeks ago that I thought I could pick up on the cheap but it wasn't ment to be. I have heard two and they sounded completely different. I am assuming that was the different series or whatever the designations are?

Right on Brother! :wave:

I imagine the difference was the LM /SLM or EL-34 VS 6L6.

Have not hey played through a JVM myself. I have heard they are a bit "dark", for what thats worth! :) Let me know what you think of them.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score

Now your talking Bro , i tell ya ,once you play a 6100 there's no going back !!

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Dude,

If you like to "turn knobs and push buttons", a 6100 is in a league way above a DSL. The three modes on the 2nd channel are more ground than a DSL can cover. Add Add half power, pentode / triode, low / high compensation and the list goes on!

Truly on a serious note, dont knock a 6100 till you've tried one! I sold my DSL to fund my 6100. And I've never regretted it.

Golden words MM !! :dude:

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
I would have stuck with the 5150
it would last longer in terms of dependability and construction.
I toured with one for years and I deeply regret trading it for a dsl.

the dsl series sums up quantity over quality.

Your DSL trouble was due to it needing a retube..... Are you really going to hold regular tube amp maintenance against your DSL? :lol:Buy yourself a solid state amp if are unwilling to accept the responsibilities of owning a tube amp. It would be like me buying a car and not providing gas for it, yet, expecting it to magically run without any gas. :lol: The car would be dependable if I provided gas for it (common sense). In your case you needed to provide tubes for your DSL in order for it to perform. Also, I'm willing to bet that if you did a search on the internet in regards to the Peavey you would discover that they probably have their own isses. Having said that, just because yours worked perfectly during the time you owned it doesn't mean other owners weren't having problems with theirs.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this misconception with OD2 being bad.

All you need to do is EQ the green the way u like then switch to "workable Gain" (5-6 for me) setting on the OD2.

This is OD2

I've noticed the EQ'ing for Green Crunch and Red Lead 2 are almost identical. I've stopped using lead 1 when I play live for tone consistency.

You have to turn it up to get the full effect since my amp was behind me to the left in the corner, it was a tragically hip song so I couldn't noodle too much.

I'm actually pretty happy with my lead tone. It's still real Marshall but nice and creamy Lead sounds!! My reverb was actually pretty low, the room acoustics we're very fun.

Not sure if I'm going to mod it..BTW

The only pedal I used was a MXR Line Boost thru the effects loop for Soloing
:headbanger::headbanger:
100% DSL

YouTube - solo.avi

Then some more switching from Green to Red

YouTube - Feel Like Making Love - Covered by Remedy

Flat out Red (My other guitar player uses a crate) :(

YouTube - Trooper Raise A Little Hell - (Cover) By Remedy

I have mine set up using lead 2 and the crunch channel. I boost the crunch, yet it still cleans up with guitar volume and lead 2 had been deflubbed so I can use some of the gain or all of it.

Lead 1 makes coffee for those pain in the ass 6100 bruthers...AssHats!:p