Marshall DSL1C vs JVM1C

• Thread starter Amplify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

minerman

Reaction score
Amplify: I had a Micro-Stack last year, & my intentions were the same as yours, use the cabs with a 1 watter, but honestly, I think you'd be better off going with a 12" speaker, the 1x10 cabs are ok, but the newer speakers are really crap to be honest, you could always replace 'em with a good 10" Celestion or similar, but by then, you could've just gotten a good 1x12 cab.....Just my :2c: on the cab thing you mentioned....If you can find an original micro-stack with the original Celestions that'd be a different story, but those may be hard to find...

I have the DSL-1 H, & it's great IMO...I chose it for the exact same reason you're thinking, if I need more gain, I can use a pedal/boost....It's got plenty of gain to be honest, & sounds good with all 3 of the speakers I have: Greenback, V30, & G12-T75...I mainly use a boost to tighten up the sound myself....

Stringjunkie: Cool pics man, wish I had the $$$, I'd buy your JCM-1....

Amplify

Reaction score
Amplify: I had a Micro-Stack last year, & my intentions were the same as yours, use the cabs with a 1 watter, but honestly, I think you'd be better off going with a 12" speaker, the 1x10 cabs are ok, but the newer speakers are really crap to be honest, you could always replace 'em with a good 10" Celestion or similar, but by then, you could've just gotten a good 1x12 cab.....Just my :2c: on the cab thing you mentioned....If you can find an original micro-stack with the original Celestions that'd be a different story, but those may be hard to find...

I have the DSL-1 H, & it's great IMO...I chose it for the exact same reason you're thinking, if I need more gain, I can use a pedal/boost....It's got plenty of gain to be honest, & sounds good with all 3 of the speakers I have: Greenback, V30, & G12-T75...I mainly use a boost to tighten
I actually read some of your threads before joining this forum. So far I'm really convinced with your sound clips that the dsl is for me.:hbang:
As for the mini stack, I might in the distant future get one for another small wattage head and hopefully Marshall releases a non signature YJM style of amp too. But as of now I'm going to get the dsl as a combo. :D

JoeShell1110

Reaction score
I have the DSL1C and love it. It emulates my TSL100 head. When hooked up to my 4X12 cab it sounds killer (and louder than I thought, actually). I bought the combo because I wanted to be able to grab it and go (hotels, etc.). The 8" speaker didn't really sound great initially, but it's working itself in nicely. The more you play, the better it gets.
I originally bought the head version and a microstack with the intention of using the angled cab to make myself a killer mini tube "bedroom" 1/2 stack. I can tell you off the bat, the feet on the head don't line up with the cups on top of the cab, but you can make it work. Through the 4X12 the tone was the same with both the head & combo, so I opted for the combo to have the option of the onboard speaker. Hope that helps.

Amplify

Reaction score
I have the DSL1C and love it. It emulates my TSL100 head. When hooked up to my 4X12 cab it sounds killer (and louder than I thought, actually). I bought the combo because I wanted to be able to grab it and go (hotels, etc.). The 8" speaker didn't really sound great initially, but it's working itself in nicely. The more you play, the better it gets.
I originally bought the head version and a microstack with the intention of using the angled cab to make myself a killer mini tube "bedroom" 1/2 stack. I can tell you off the bat, the feet on the head don't line up with the cups on top of the cab, but you can make it work. Through the 4X12 the tone was the same with both the head & combo, so I opted for the combo to have the option of the onboard speaker. Hope that helps.
Thanks for posting. The bolded part is the main reason I want the combo. :D

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to grab one of my cabs and a head to go somewhere. I even had a recessed metal handle put in the tops to carry.

Amplify

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to grab one of my cabs and a head to go somewhere. I even had a recessed metal handle put in the tops to carry.

Now you got me thinking :hmm: ...........Just might have to get a combo, a mini stack with a head and a half stack with a head. Like I said in a previous post just so there's no regrets :lol::lol::lol:

daniel_angel

Reaction score
In my search for the "least powerful amp" in the world (I play or try to do it in my house in a small room) I have definitely found my partner in a combo Marshall JVM1C 50th anniversary edition. The fact is that being satisfied I see that his 8-inch speaker is no wonder ... although for me it is not bad.

I've been thinking about buying a complementary cabinet, but for space reasons I would prefer to upgrade the original speaker.

In some Internet video and in some opinion of a German internet store, I know that there are people who have installed a 10-inch speaker in a Marshall 8-inch (the JVM1C and the DSL1C/DSL1CR). Therefore, I understand that it’s possible.

In particular, I'm thinking of a Celestion G10 Greenback.

But I have doubts about the depth of the reform ... usually putting a new speaker is “screw and unscrew” but having a change in size ... the question is if it's necessary to make a larger hole according to the new diameter which make necessary to completely disassemble the ampli ... something that I am not willing to do.

Have any of you with an 8-inch amp installed a 10-inch speaker? Or with a 10-inch amp installed a 12-inch speaker and can share the experience?

Regards

Last edited: