Marshall Equivalent to Orange Super Crush 100

• Thread starter Trower71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trower71

Reaction score
Orange created a decent solid state approximation of their tube Rockerverb with their Super Crush 100. While playing thru my 1980s Marshall 3310 (smallbox Mosfet 100) I thought, "Why doesn't Marshall do what Orange successfully did?" The Super Crush basically took the Rockerverb circuit and replaced the preamp tubes with JFETS and the power tubes with MOSFETS and it worked. Marshall could do the same with something like a JCM800 circuit (or other circuits) and if it was as decent an approximation of the JCM800 as the Super Crush 100 is of the Rockerverb it would blow away anything in the current MG series. I'm probably dreaming.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orange created a decent solid state approximation of their tube Rockerverb with their Super Crush 100. While playing thru my 1980s Marshall 3310 (smallbox Mosfet 100) I thought, "Why doesn't Marshall do what Orange successfully did?" The Super Crush basically took the Rockerverb circuit and replaced the preamp tubes with JFETS and the power tubes with MOSFETS and it worked. Marshall could do the same with something like a JCM800 circuit (or other circuits) and if it was as decent an approximation of the JCM800 as the Super Crush 100 is of the Rockerverb it would blow away anything in the current MG series. I'm probably dreaming.
:welcome: to the forum.
The 3310 / 3210 are basically solid-state versions of the split channel 100w JCM800 2210.
There were also more than a few other variants of 1x12 & 2x12 solid-state single channel and split channel versions of the JCM800 combos.
I've had a 5010 30w SS version of the 50w 4010, and currently have a 5100 (same amp as your 3310).
No longer in production, but vastly different than the MG line.

JSutter

Reaction score
Did Marshall ever make an SS amp that didn't use diodes for clipping?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Did Marshall ever make an SS amp that didn't use diodes for clipping?
Yes, for example the 5010 (until very late 80's), the 2199, the 2195...bassically the clipping diodes started with the multi-chnl switchable amps in the early 80's.

But dont think that running opamps hard into each other sounds any better...the 5010 is fizztrail-city when you go for "edge of breakup" sound at low to mid volumes. Same goes for the 2199 which is a discrete transistor variant.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I've been waiting a long time for Marshall to make modern-day solid state amp to compete with the Orange Crush series. I think they would be a big seller. I'd love to see an SS series of the Studio series in both heads and combos. I'd go for an SS head version of the SC20H myself. Naturally they would probably be higher wattage to compensate being SS instead of tube.

PelliX

Reaction score
I've been waiting a long time for Marshall to make modern-day solid state amp to compete with the Orange Crush series. I think they would be a big seller. I'd love to see an SS series of the Studio series in both heads and combos. I'd go for an SS head version of the SC20H myself. Naturally they would probably be higher wattage to compensate being SS instead of tube.

You must have missed the CODE.... :io:

Ken Ops

Reaction score
I’ll probably never understand what it is about SS amps that people like, let alone prefer. Unless that happens to be, say, cost or reliability(?) - question mark because really, tubes are not exactly unreliable anyway.

But yeah, why else would anyone bother?

V-man

Reaction score
While the Orange SS looked interesting at a reasonable price point, I have doubts about the wildfire sales, particularly for Marshall to R&D the wheel again. It’s already covered they have done a few iterations of this in the past.

Since then, there has been an exloding pedal market (to include amp-tailored preamp pedals like the Mooer series -Not to mention Marshall’s reissued Guv’nor, et al series), as well as modelers out the ass as well. Competition is positively cuthroat.

Not everybody wants to blow $2K+ to audition an Orange sound beside their JCM 800 and Dual Rec. While $500 sounds competitive to get a standalone SS Orange to give the flavor on a budget, a Tonex can be had with limitless Orange amp profiles… for only $200 and no real-estate requirement. Hell, there is Mooer orange preamp pedal that’s probably $60 used that fits into a pants pocket.

If you are unwilling to commit the $ and space to purchase the “best” (analog all-tube flagship), then what compels someone to spend 2x-3x on the closest substitute, when soundwise a handful of cheaper, more convenient substitutes exist? All perfect reasons why Marshall does not need to prioritize yet another “practice/beginner’s” amp with what they already offer.

PelliX

Reaction score
I’ll probably never understand what it is about SS amps that people like, let alone prefer. Unless that happens to be, say, cost or reliability(?) - question mark because really, tubes are not exactly unreliable anyway.

But yeah, why else would anyone bother?

Valves:
* Serious, serious thermal footprint
* Short service life (compared to a transistor, op-amp, etc)
* High cost (compared to a transistor, op-amp, etc)
* Require smooth high voltage DC
* Require seperate heater filament circuit (AC or DC), which together with the previous point generally mean a bulky heavy transformer
* Failure mode is often minor degradation (hard to identify/quantify without replacement)
* Failure modes can (rarely) take out other (expensive) components
* Require specialized testing equipment to determine their condition

Transistors:
* Thermal footprint seldom requires more than an adequate heatsink, sometimes a small extractor fan, sometimes nothing at all
* In theory near indefinite service life
* Low cost in almost all cases (for audio circuits)
* Require relatively low voltage DC
* No requirement for auxiliary power (op-amps are a different story)
* Zero degradation throughout the service life of the component
* Failure mode is often just a loss of function, sometimes a little magic smoke
* Require much less specialized equipment for testing and basic functionality can be determined with any diode-test capable multi meter

I know you said "other than cost or reliability", but I included them nonetheless as cost is always a driving factor in product design. I exclusively play valve amps, so don't take this as some kind of transistor evangelism. :)

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
How about a 30w SS JCM800 1x12 combo?
No loop though, that's one of the reasons I let mine go.
View attachment 155249
I'd rather have a new modern-day SS version and in a head version. Not much of a combo person.
You must have missed the CODE.... :io:
The code is a modeler, I don't like modelers or profilers. I'd take a single standalone SS amp over anythingelse that isn't tube.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have a new modern-day SS version and in a head version. Not much of a combo person.
I agree on both counts.
New production SS amp line with classic voicing might attract some sales.
They should abandon the MG & Code lines altogether and come up with something a little better.

For Pete's sake, they're putting Kemper's in a pedal now.
You'd think Marshall could put out something like that in a box with a speaker attached...

And I'm all for the head & cab(s) set ups.

PelliX

Reaction score
I'd buy a Powerbrake or 2 if it would be reasonably priced. :yesway:

I'd buy one probably because they're not bad. I'm not sure how well it would stand up against my own JohnH design, but sometimes combinations just "work well" for no easily comprehensible reason. Slap a Marshall logo on that and I'm in, too, for a good price.

mr_tornado_head

Reaction score
Sorry to make this a zombie thread.... But ...

1) The other issue with tubes is how crappy the manufacturing of tubes is. That's why most are made in China or countries where environmental regulations are... Much less. And more expensive by Miles than JFET manufacturing. Hence the reason that a good sounding analog solid state head is of interest to me.

I owned three Master Lead 30s (and a few other in Marshall's line of solid state amps) and while fun and cool sounding, they didn't quite get the distortion down the way the Orange Super Crush does. Hell, the Hiwatt Super Leeds has a pretty damn good distortion channel and is all solid state (and a great, huge sounding clean channel) (and dirt cheap). Could Marshall make a stand alone solid state amp that sounds pretty damn good? I'm sure they could.

2) But why won't they? Because at this point, with the new management, Marshall is a legacy/lifestyle brand. Amplifier sales is a small fraction of total sales - headphones, backpacks, refrigerators, and the like are now the bulk of Marshall sales. No point in tossing R&D money down the drain when they could keep churning out variations of old amps to satisfy the demand of their Amp market.

I find it a bit sad. This is not the Marshall that we grew up with. Good heavens, if they came out with a reissue of the Mosfet Lead 100 at a fair price point, I'd buy two. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately.