• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Guv'nor Vs Jackhammer Vs Tubescreamer Vs Ocd

Which pedal most versatile for ACDC, Guns N Roses, and Jimi Hendrix?

• Marshall Guv'nor

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Marshall Jackhammer

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Ibanez Tubescreamer

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Fulltone OCD

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Jason Funk

Reaction score
Hey guys, pretty new to the forums, but got some great feedback to my other question, so I figured I'd ask another question to the experienced. Of the above four pedals, which would you recommend? I'm wanting to get one, maybe two, of the above pedals. My goal is to get something versatile, that could get me close to some ACDC, Guns N Roses, and Jimi Hendrix. If you had to just pick one (or two), what would it/they be? I've watched countless vids and youtube, and each time I think I made up my mind, another video changes my mind lol..... Thanks for any help out!

Jason Funk

Reaction score
How do you plan on using it?
Well, I already have a SS Fender Mustang II, but will either be getting a Marshall DSL5c or DSL15c soon. Just looking for what is best to get those sounds. I've read a lot of people mention Boss DS-1 for Guns N Roses so kind of considering that, too. Just looking for something versatile that can get close to those groups/singers' sound... I know a lot of people just say crank the Marshall for ACDC, but I live in an apartment, so not completely feasible lol...

Garrett

Reaction score
I get good AD/DC tone with an OCD.

But, it's not the same even with the gain at a very low setting. The OCD is big and thick but doesn't sound like a cranked Marshall. AC/DC is a guitar straight in to a cranked Marshall. There's only one way to get that but the OCD does a decent job.

Boss DS-1 is a good one as well, strong mid-hump and cuts the bass. Would suffice for GnR.

Hendrix is also pretty clean unless he was running a fuzz pedal. OD pedals wont get that fuzz tone.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I couldn't get along with the Jackhammer at all! Save your money on that one.

voxman

Reaction score
I couldn't get along with the Jackhammer at all! Save your money on that one.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have three Marshall Distortion pedals: Guvn'r2 (GV2), BluesBreaker2 (BB2), and Jackhammer (JH1). The only one that sits permanently on my pedal board now is the GV2, which I think is a really good pedal and captures the JCM800 tone quite nicely, and even edging into JCM2000 territory as you crak the gain. The BB2 is more at the Plexi range of distortion but I find it a bit 'meh' and prefer a tubescreamer.

The Jackhammer is an od one as, similar to the BB2, it has 2 settings. I actually quite like it's overdrive setting, but again I can pretty much capture that with the GV2. But in distortion mode, whilst it has more distortion than the GV2, it doesn't sound particularly representative of any particular Marshall amp to my ears and it gets quite muddy and indistinct as you raise the gain, lacking the dynamics and classic 'Marshall crunch' of the GV2 - so it's retired to its box for now. There were times that I thought I preferred it to the GV2, but only until I put both the GV2 and JH1 side-by-side - and then it was 'no contest' with the GV2 winning by a mile.

So, if you're going to opt for one of the current Marshall distortion pedals, I personally would recommend the GV2.

Last edited:

Jason Funk

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys. I've heard similar thoughts about the Jackhammer, so maybe I'll cross that one off the list. Thinking the Guv'nor a must and then either get the Tubescreamer or OCD (or maybe both lol).

Any preferences between the Screamer and OCD?

Kiko

Reaction score
The screamer has been a regular on most pedal boards. Works well as an overdrive as well as a boost pedal.

voxman

Reaction score
The screamer has been a regular on most pedal boards. Works well as an overdrive as well as a boost pedal.

That's a big +1! My pedalboard has both a tubescreamer and a GV2 that I use both separately and together.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Well, I already have a SS Fender Mustang II, but will either be getting a Marshall DSL5c or DSL15c soon. Just looking for what is best to get those sounds. I've read a lot of people mention Boss DS-1 for Guns N Roses so kind of considering that, too. Just looking for something versatile that can get close to those groups/singers' sound... I know a lot of people just say crank the Marshall for ACDC, but I live in an apartment, so not completely feasible lol...
DSL's are fairly versatile amps, if youre getting one you may not even need the pedals. Get the amp first then see if you need pedals later.

Jason Funk

Reaction score
DSL's are fairly versatile amps, if youre getting one you may not even need the pedals. Get the amp first then see if you need pedals later.
Thanks a lot, I'll probably give that a try and see what happens volume wise lol

mirrorman

Reaction score
I use a Jackhammer as an overdrive on a clean Fender HRD.
In that application it's a great pedal.
I don't use it to overdrive my DSL 40C.
Then again, I don't use any overdrive to do that...
I usually use the Clean/Crunch channel and switch to Ultra Gain 1 with more volume as a lead boost.
Either that or kick in an MXR 10 band eq I have in the effects loop.

Jason Funk

Reaction score
I use a Jackhammer as an overdrive on a clean Fender HRD.
In that application it's a great pedal.
I don't use it to overdrive my DSL 40C.
Then again, I don't use any overdrive to do that...
I usually use the Clean/Crunch channel and switch to Ultra Gain 1 with more volume as a lead boost.
Either that or kick in an MXR 10 band eq I have in the effects loop.
Thanks, yeah, I'd like to just use the amp alone if possible, but want to find a versatile pedal for at home friendly volumes just in case. Thanks for your insights.

Latest posts