Marshall Head With The Best Clean Channel

• Thread starter Rattleheadxvi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rattleheadxvi

Reaction score
I want a marshall head. I bought an orange AD30 and the cleans won't stay clean, they distort when any real gigging volume is applied. I'd really want a marshall head with just one clean channel, but I don't mind if it has other channels although I doubt I'll use them coz of my pedals. It needs to be loud enough to play a hall style venue as well. I don't really want to spend any more than £800. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rattleheadxvi

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
the DSL100 became famous for its clean channel, which no other marshall had achieved before... so naturally that would be my recommendation

i've got one, and everyone i played with, had very good comments about the clean channel on my DSL.. especially for a marshall...
i use a head and 2 cabinets of 2x12 celestions

Keefoman

Reaction score
The JTM 60 has a very nice clean channel, but that one is discontinued. So If you're looking for a new Marshall, the two channel DSL or the four channel JVM would be the ones you should try out.

byljer

Reaction score
I would go for a second hand, old one. I used to have a 1976 100w Super Lead, and that one had a real good clean sound. For distortion you'd have to turn the volume up so much your ears would bleed, so it would be perfect for stompboxes/ trebleboosters. Marshall heaven!

AndyHighTides

Reaction score
Not having enough clean vol doesn't make sense for that amp of yours. Jimmy Page used that amp for the reunion tour because it's the loudest 30 watter out there. On channel 1 with the master cranked and the EQ flat, you should be able to bring up the gain to get the volume you need long before it starts to break up. If not, try swapping preamp tubes.

lerxst88

Reaction score
why a marshall for a clean sound? call me crazy but i dont think marshall built their reputation on building jazz and country amps

steelhorse

Reaction score
DSL 100. Buy one used in good shape if you can that's relatively new. It's cheaper and the warranty is transferable, a tip I learned from RachelMorgan.

:hippie:

st.bede

Reaction score
jtm 45 with kt88s (still really good with 6L6s).....(I have heard that the jtm60s are good too but do not know 1st hand)....

also, what type of clean tone....(don't kill me here) you might want to look at a VOX ac30....IMHO if you want a good "brittsh" type break up but, also want a great clean tone that is the way to go...

spaceforlease

Reaction score
if u buy a marshall... u gotta use the OD channel too... if not, you're just crazy :D :hippie:

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DSL 401 has the best clean channel ive heard
in a while

stryker59

Reaction score
JVM series. In particular, the JVM410H with 425B cab

+1!! the jvm's have a KILLER clean!!!! i use a vintage 30 loaded cab though!:D

sk033-skulls-33-sm.jpg

steelhorse

Reaction score
Are these Vintage 30's stryker?

I didn't get a real good look because I took the pic at the shop that sold me the Silver Jubilee 1/2 stack and I took the back panel off to see what was loaded in it:

jubileecabspkrsx800.jpg

colin66

Reaction score
Well, I've never really used it, but from what I've read on Harmony Central, the Marshall Artiste seems to be a decent shout for clean sounds and plugging pedals into.

I've got one I'm considering selling (shameful plug, I know)... am waiting till I next get paid to get it serviced, so a few weeks away. I'm based in London, and if you fancy, I could be willing to part with it (it's just too big, don't have the space at home for it....)

It's an old 1976 head (50watts, 2 EL34s, reverb), and I've also got a 4x12 1960TV cab (4 25watt greenbacks, mono input, frickin' big). Combined it's pretty loud, should be good for a hall sized venue.

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these Vintage 30's stryker?

I didn't get a real good look because I took the pic at the shop that sold me the Silver Jubilee 1/2 stack and I took the back panel off to see what was loaded in it:

jubileecabspkrsx800.jpg

I think thats what they are, the original Vintage 30's
If you look up Jubille Speakers you will finde they are

steelhorse

Reaction score
I just read the info on the cabs and speakers the other day, thanks.

mike sicowitz

Reaction score
Hi,
My Marshall 205c is plenty clean, it has a couple different cleans. They have a 100 watt head that must be just that much cleaner. It's a lot to pay for clean though. Most guys get my amp for the overdrive. If you really, really, want clean--find an old Musicman in good shape. I've had one for about nine years. It was built around 77-78. They do hold up well because they are built like tanks. If you can't do that go for a Fender reissue Twin in the 100 watt, the originals are 85. Those are clean also and if you have an 'in' at your local store you should get any reissue Fender, a Twin, Super Twin, Super Reverb, for about a grand or so. That's half a good Marshall. I prefer having both, however, I know that is not always an option. In sum, top on my clean list is the Musicman, next for the money a Fender reissue Twin, or if you have the cash go for the VM series. The 205c has a very clean yet warm channel. Mike Sicowitz, Great Forum

Latest posts