Marshall Jcm2000 Dsl401 Running Hot.

• Thread starter charvel2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

charvel2

Reaction score
I bought a 2003 DSL401 and notice that it runs extremely hot. It sounds great and mainly use the clean channel with pedals. Any ideas and is this a common issue with these amps? Also notice there seems to be a bit of hiss/white noise on the clean channel. I do plan on replacing the tubes. Are these as easy to bias as the heads? I would appreciate any help or feedback. Thanks!

tmingle

Reaction score
I am going to get flamed for this but, here goes. If you can return it, DO IT NOW! The extreme heat will toast the solder connections on the Bridge rectifier & cause all kinds of issues with the amp. I'm also pretty sure mine had some of the PCB breakdown/trace shorting issues that JCM2000 amps are known for as well. The amp would sound great for 20 minutes or so & start to sound like crap. After installing a fan, re-configuring the bias circuit (R27 & R36 IIRC) via a Marshall service bulletin, replacing all the filter caps & countless board pulls to re-solder connections, I finally performed 1 last repair & sold it. I detailed the issues in the auction before sale so the buyer knew what he/she was in for.
YMMV

charvel2

Reaction score
I am going to get flamed for this but, here goes. If you can return it, DO IT NOW! The extreme heat will toast the solder connections on the Bridge rectifier & cause all kinds of issues with the amp. I'm also pretty sure mine had some of the PCB breakdown/trace shorting issues that JCM2000 amps are known for as well. The amp would sound great for 20 minutes or so & start to sound like crap. After installing a fan, re-configuring the bias circuit (R27 & R36 IIRC) via a Marshall service bulletin, replacing all the filter caps & countless board pulls to re-solder connections, I finally performed 1 last repair & sold it. I detailed the issues in the auction before sale so the buyer knew what he/she was in for.
YMMV

charvel2

Reaction score
I appreciate that. It was so hat after practice that couldn't even touch the front panel. It's developing a hum coming through the
speaker so going to return back to Guitar Center. Thank goodness for their 45 day return deal. I really liked the clean and crunch channel. The OD2 was a bit much for me. Thanks for the help. Going to give a Haze 40 a try as found a good deal on.