• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Jubilee 2558 Bias Question

• Thread starter gibson17
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gibson17

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a marshall 2558 Jubilee combo I recently picked up. I love it sound and have been using it to Gig. I recently checked it out to service it. I tested all the tubes and they test well on a tv7 tester. I calculated what the bias should be at with 65% dissipation. I get about 37 millivolts. When adjusting the bias the power tubes are about 10 millivolts apart. Is this circuit supposed to be self-balancing? Should I be concerned about this? Is this showing me that I need to do other service to the amp like change out the caps? Thank you all for your advice.

SpHj

Reaction score
Tubes will vary from one another, especially after some use. You’re only 10mA apart. I wouldn’t be concerned. Tolerances back then were probably 20% anyhow.

gibson17

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. When I tested the tubes they were within 2% of each other. I guess I could try to swap sides and see if the bias reading follows. When I had one tube biased up to 37, the other tube was 27, which seemed cold to me. The tubes are winged c's, so when they tested good I thought I should leave them in there. I do have a set of new el34's, maybe I'll throw them in there and see what they do...

gibson17

Reaction score
Hello All, Just a follow up to close this thread out. I swapped sides of the winged C's and the low bias reading followed the tube. I swapped them back again with the same result. I then installed a new set of matched Svetlana EL34's and the bias balanced out. Thank you all for you advice and input. I appreciate it!

Latest posts