Marshall Labeled Preamp tubes

• Thread starter Acesofbelkan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Acesofbelkan

Reaction score
I want to change all of the tubes on my Marshall TSL since I bought it used. Ive already replaced the power tubes with Svetlana EL34's and baised them. Now Im going to order my preamp tubes. But I have no idea where to buy the marshall labeled preamp tubes.

So can anyone suggest tubes that will let me retain the tubes out of the Marshall Labeled tubes?

Im open to other suggestions too.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I don't recommend going with Marshall labeled tubes. Trust me on this one.

V1-Tung-Sol
V2-Mullard RI Hand Selcet High Gain
V3-EH
V4-EH

This will be a lot better sounding than stock Marshall tubes.

Acesofbelkan

Reaction score
thx for the reply marty. Will that combination retain the marshall tone or at least something similar?

BluesRocker

Reaction score
thx for the reply marty. Will that combination retain the marshall tone or at least something similar?

I have used that setup that Marty has suggested you and next to using NOS tubes that would be the #2 choice. Especially for current production tubes. But to answer your question Yes it will retain that Marshall sound that everyone has come to love plus it will probably surprise you with how much better it will sound.

Acesofbelkan

Reaction score
I have used that setup that Marty has suggested you and next to using NOS tubes that would be the #2 choice. Especially for current production tubes. But to answer your question Yes it will retain that Marshall sound that everyone has come to love plus it will probably surprise you with how much better it will sound.

COOL! Im convinced now. Im gonna buy those preamp tubes then. Thx alot guys. :dude:

BluesRocker

Reaction score
And you will want them for low noise and microphonics.

Acesofbelkan

Reaction score
Ok I so I currently got in my shopping cart:
copied straight from how the site has named the tubes
-x1 Tung sol 12ax7 new production
-x1 Mullard 12ax7 (hi-gain testing)
-x2 Electro harmonix 12ax7(gold pin) <----does it matter if its gold pin or not in this combination?

BluesRocker

Reaction score
Do not get gold pin.. they are nothing but a gimic to take your money. You should have this.
1.) Tung-Sol 12ax7- Low noise and micro-phonics.
1.) Mullard RI 12ax7- Low noise and micro-phonics. and high gain
2.) EH 12ax7- Low noise and micro-phonics.

Acesofbelkan

Reaction score
thanks bluerocker for saving me from a gimmick lol
The preamp tubes have been ordered:headbanger:

BluesRocker

Reaction score
No problem man. I made that mistake. But I didnt ask first. I ordered 2 JJ ECC803 gold pins and my lord did they sound like shit. And come to find out after I asked on here about them, I caught a lot of shit about it. But hey. Ya live and ya learn.

amplifier

Reaction score
I can save you from another gimmick in the future. If you LOVE the tone of your amp NEVER buy Marshall labeled tubes. Marshall relabels tubes and jacks up the price just like GT. Most likely you've got Chinese 9th generation/white labeled preamp tubes in there. With that said you can get those at dougstubes.com for about 10 bucks each. Marshall sells them for double that. Disgusting!

Acesofbelkan

Reaction score
Thanks for the link amplifier, But I already got my tubes that blues rocker suggested in the mail.

And can I just say, these tubes FUCKING ROCK!!!! They sound freaking great!, The tone is so much more OPEN and it BREATHES more than before. I honestly thought that my marshall couldnt sound any better and BAM it just smacked the hell outta me when I put those new tubes in.
Bluesrocker, THX ALOT youre the MAN you know your tone:dude:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I want to change all of the tubes on my Marshall TSL since I bought it used. Ive already replaced the power tubes with Svetlana EL34's and baised them. Now Im going to order my preamp tubes. But I have no idea where to buy the marshall labeled preamp tubes.

So can anyone suggest tubes that will let me retain the tubes out of the Marshall Labeled tubes?

Im open to other suggestions too.

The Marshall labelled tubes used to be Chinese. Great tube for the Marshall DSL IMO. If you have some pics of them, we could confirm that they are chinese.

I also like the Tung Sol 12AX7.

Acesofbelkan

Reaction score
Well I cant take pics right now but Ill describe them.
The ones that came in the v1 have a black marshall logo with WK11 written on them
v2 also had a black logo marshall with WK3 written on them
and the v3 and v4 had a white marshall logo with WK9 on them.
none of them say where it's made tho.

Latest posts